Wyoming’s Josh Allen

RichardLee

2 hours ago, racketmaster said:

I get the negative feelings on Allen mainly because of his accuracy issues. But there are some things to really like about this kid. 

1. Size. Spare me the Brock Osweiler, Ryan Mallet etc.. Most qbs wash out and don't become franchise quarterbacks so there are going to be lots of examples or guys who did not make it who were big, medium and small. The main thing here is that if you poll 32 NFL GMs and ask them if all things were equal would you prefer a big qb or a small one and you would get 32 GMs taking the bigger qb. As far as playing qb goes, big is better than small. There are many other factors that contribute to being a franchise qb, but having ideal size is just one less hurdle a qb has to overcome on the way to becoming good in the NFL. Allen has ideal height and weight. He has the frame of a Big Ben and vision from within the pocket should not be a problem. 

2. Arm Strength. Allen's arm is elite. His ability to throw the football on a line to the sidelines whether in the pocket or on the run is rare. Plain and simple, he is able to make throws that only a select few can make (ie. Favre, Newton, Stafford, Elway). Again this does not mean everything as Jamarcus Russell had an elite arm, but it is a tremendous asset and it allows a qb who possesses this skill to fit a ball into windows other qbs with a lesser arm cannot. It allows him to utilize areas of the field qbs with a lesser arm cannot. 

3. Hand size. This will be debated but they test this for a reason and in cold weather cities it is much more important. When dealing with cold, snow and rain it is better to have large hands to grip the ball properly. Allen has ideal hand size and one less thing to overcome.

4. Mobility. Especially for his size, Allen is mobile and able to elude defenders and make plays outside the pocket. He does not have elite mobility, but he checks the box in this category and it is one less thing he has to overcome.

5. Toughness and determination. Allen displays toughness both in and out of the pocket. It may have been the Iowa game where he was being chased around the pocket and broke about 9 tackles before literally 6 defenders tackled him to the ground. He often puts his shoulder down when running looking to dish out punishment. I actually believe he needs to be smarter about this but he is not soft and his play will be respected by his teammates. 

6. Has played in a more pro style offense for the college game and has actually taken snaps from under center and used traditional play action. 

7. This is somewhat speculation because I do not know Allen personally but my sense is that he has rural midwest type values. By that I mean, he worked on the farm at a young age and he is not afraid of hard work. Work ethic is extremely important and once a player begins to collect large amounts of $ does that change him. Hard work is not everything but a player can maximize their abilities by working hard. For all the haters, Tyrod Taylor maximizes his ability by working hard. This is why the comparison to Russell is not accurate. 

8. Intangibles. By all accounts Allen has been a positive leader, well respected by his teammates and very coachable. Again positive traits to have. 

There are other things to like, but the above attributes stand out to me from watching and observing him. 

None of this makes Allen a sure fire franchise qb. Again there are many things he needs to improve upon (mechanics and accuracy, anticipation, making smarter decisions with the football and learning when to take chances and give up on a play). Some of these things can be improved upon with coaching, maturity and hard work. Will it be enough, know one knows but he is clearly an interesting prospect because of extremely rare physical gifts. Physical talent that if it can be developed properly, could lead to him being an elite level quarterback. 

None of these things matter if the ball doesn't wind up where you want it to go. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

None of these things matter if the ball doesn't wind up where you want it to go. 

What you are saying is true but the same could be said for a qb with a weak arm. The weak armed qb could have perfect ball placement but the air time allows defenders to make a play on the ball. 

Tom me qbs are such a crap shoot that I like to check off as many of the physical traits that help qbs succeed. It is measurable and at least you crossed a bunch of hurdles with Allen. And it is not like he had awful accuracy in college. He was asked to make a lot of NFL throws with a bad o-line and freshman WRs this year. He did not throw as many bubble screens as I have seen many other college qbs throw which inflate the completion percentage. But yes, accuracy is still a concern with Allen and if it was not he would be the #1 overall pick for sure. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

In other words, they want to trade down 

Makes sense. Baltimore is one of the wild cards regarding the QB position IMO. Flacco sucks and they can get out of his contract in one year.

having said that, Allbright is usually wrong about damn near everything. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

What you are saying is true but the same could be said for a qb with a weak arm. The weak armed qb could have perfect ball placement but the air time allows defenders to make a play on the ball. 

Tom me qbs are such a crap shoot that I like to check off as many of the physical traits that help qbs succeed. It is measurable and at least you crossed a bunch of hurdles with Allen. And it is not like he had awful accuracy in college. He was asked to make a lot of NFL throws with a bad o-line and freshman WRs this year. He did not throw as many bubble screens as I have seen many other college qbs throw which inflate the completion percentage. But yes, accuracy is still a concern with Allen and if it was not he would be the #1 overall pick for sure. 

The problem is that he did have bad accuracy in college, and it's been on display all week at the Senior Bowl. 

He makes routine throws look really hard. He's not a natural passer. 

QBs need adequate arm strength, but none of the top QBs across the NFL are inaccurate. Accuracy trumps everything. IMO

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The problem is that he did have bad accuracy in college, and it's been on display all week at the Senior Bowl. 

He makes routine throws look really hard. He's not a natural passer

QBs need adequate arm strength, but none of the top QBs across the NFL are inaccurate. Accuracy trumps everything. IMO

Bingo

as of today he is more of a football thrower... not passer... there's a difference