Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: "I Don't See Special" - Headed for UFA

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, the number would have been worse with that scrub Bortles. He turned it over 16 times. The Bills offense was awful. They didn’t however shoot themselves in the foot. They did enough to win 9 games because they won close games. You don’t win close games  when you make mistakes and turn the ball over. When the Bills lost they got pounded (for the most part). That’s how you have a winning record and a minus 57 point differential. 

:oops: I thought you were referring to a point differential.  

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so how soon before the "that drunk got fired because he doen't know jack about personnel" posts follow from the Cousins disciples here?......

McCloughan does know Jack about personnel.  It's the reason he's been hired by 3 teams.

McCloughan is also a drunk.  It's the reason he's been fired by 3 teams.

McCloughan was VP of Player Personnel for the Niners from 2005 to 2008 and GM from 2008 to 2010.  Did he bring in some good players? Yes.  Did he build a championship roster?  Hell to the no. 

Seattle built a championship roster, but again - he helped bring in good players, but his wasn't the guiding hand.

McCloughan was GM of the Washington Redskins for 2 years 2015-2017.  Again, did he improve the roster?  Sure.  Did he build a championship roster?  Hell to the no.

This article really is nothing new - McCloughan already demonstrated his opinion of Cousins as being "I don't see special" by failing to negotiate him to a mutually acceptable contract in 2015 with catastrophic potential consequences for the franchise because he also didn't come up with an adequate replacement plan to bring in "special" (or at least, adequate)

Is McCloughan correct that Cousins doesn't have the value to the Redskins of $34M per year for a 3rd year?  Yes, given their current roster.  But what are their alternatives, and how does that speak to his player personnel acumen?  The state of their current roster was his responsibility for 2 years!  He directly drove the Redskins into the position where that's their alternative.  So value his judgement accordingly.

Personally I think he under-valued Cousins and his former franchise will pay for it, one way or another. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McCloughan does know Jack about personnel.  It's the reason he's been hired by 3 teams.

McCloughan is also a drunk.  It's the reason he's been fired by 3 teams.

McCloughan was VP of Player Personnel for the Niners from 2005 to 2008 and GM from 2008 to 2010.  Did he bring in some good players? Yes.  Did he build a championship roster?  Hell to the no.  Seattle built a championship roster, but again - he helped bring in good players, but his wasn't the guiding hand.

McCloughan was GM of the Washington Redskins for 2 years 2015-2017.  Again, did he improve the roster?  Sure.  Did he build a championship roster?  Hell to the no.

So this article really is nothing new - McCloughan already demonstrated his opinion of Cousins by failing to negotiate him to a mutually acceptable contract in 2015, leaving him playing 2 years on the Franchise tag, with catastrophic potential consequences for the franchise because he also didn't come up with an adequate replacement plan.

Is McCloughan correct that Cousins doesn't have the value to the Redskins of $34M per year for a 3rd year?  Yes.  But what are their alternatives, and how does that speak to his player personnel acumen?  It's not like he has a track record of being able to fit together a championship roster when he has the reins.

......my point was to preemptively strike any discussion about his personal issues from his assessment of Cousins, citing he DOES know personnel,.....so with the obvious stated impasse, where was Bruce Allen hiding?........he has pretty good personnel credentials from his days in TB as did his late father, George Allen........is Bruce going to stay in hiding AGAIN this time around?.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......my point was to preemptively strike any discussion about his personal issues from his assessment of Cousins, citing he DOES know personnel,.....

What I was trying to say is that his interview is "old news".  His opinion of Cousins as "I don't see special" was already implicit in the fact that Cousins has played on the franchise tag 2 years vs having a long-term deal negotiated in 2015

And

While his personnel evaluation ability should not be questioned, his ability to actually ASSEMBLE a championship roster (thus knowledge of what it takes) can be questioned.

Now someone might argue, "he knows what to do, he was just too impaired to do it", but there's no proof.

Cousins is a damn good QB.  Is he maybe closer to Eli than Peyton Manning or closer to Philip Rivers than to Drew Brees?   Perhaps.

Does that mean it might not be a winning strategy for a QB-needy team to pay him the big bucks, if they have the other pieces or enough cap space and draft picks to get them?

Not evident to me that the answer is "no", despite McCloughan's view

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I was trying to say is that his interview is "old news".  His opinion of Cousins as "I don't see special" was already implicit in the fact that Cousins has played on the franchise tag 2 years vs having a long-term deal negotiated in 2015

And

While his personnel evaluation ability should not be questioned, his ability to actually ASSEMBLE a championship roster (thus knowledge of what it takes) can be questioned.

Now someone might argue, "he knows what to do, he was just too impaired to do it", but there's no proof.

Cousins is a damn good QB.  Is he maybe closer to Eli than Peyton Manning or closer to Philip Rivers than to Drew Brees?   Perhaps.

Does that mean it might not be a winning strategy for a QB-needy team to pay him the big bucks, if they have the other pieces or enough cap space and draft picks to get them?

Not evident to me that the answer is "no", despite McCloughan's view

...thanks for clarification......so why in your view hasn't Bruce Allen stepped in to break the impasse as Prez?.............

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks for clarification......so why in your view hasn't Bruce Allen stepped in to break the impasse as Prez?.............

I got nothin'

except maybe

In general, the best strategy for an owner or president is to choose good football people, then STFU.  If it's true that Kraft intervened on Garrappolo, that was probably a big mistake.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d slide Wood to overpaid but other than that it’s fair. A lot of it is position based though. The Bills 3 highest cap hits are QB, LT and pass rusher. I’d bet that’s the case with a lot of teams.

I expect an extension with Benjamin.  Glenn, Taylor, and Hughes are all on the block.  Hughes probably cut, Taylor traded or cut, Glenn traded.  If they sign cousins I think you keep Glenn and have 2 solid tackles.  21 and 22 defense.  Mike and Dt.  Second rd I go Rb and speed Wr or athletic Te.  FA is going to set the tone of the draft.  There are 2 ways they go Cousins and Draft to fix the roster.  No Cousins a few more Vetran Defenders and Draft capital used to be aggressive for a Qb coming out.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Far better to trade up for a 5 year cost controlled rookie QB than hamstring the team with Cousins who's simply not good enough to carry a team as a franchise QB.  I'd find a bridge veteran until the 1st round rookie is ready. 

• Like (+1) 1

Cousins is a serviceable guy; a solid upgrade from Tyrod.  Nothing too fantastic and certainly not worth the pay day he is going to get from someone. 

The pay structure in the league, especially with QBs, needs to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There is a cost/benefit issue with Cousins. Is what he costs worth the level of upgrade you get, especially if his cap hit prevents you from signing other free agents.

His cap hit might prevent us from signing other free agents this coming season.  Cousins would likely be the biggest difference maker they could sign though.  The following season the Bills are projected at having over 100k in cap (before Cousins and other re-signings.)  To me, perfectly worth it.  They can get players in the draft with all those picks instead of unloading the important ones on one guy that has potential.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Please list all the QBs that actually "carry the team."  That term is more overused than ELITE on QBs because Brady might be the only QB that truly has carried his team over the last decade.

Easily Rodgers and Russell Wilson for sure along with others.  Use whatever semantics you like, but I'm talking true Franchise Caliber and Cousins isn't in that tier. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Easily Rodgers and Russle Wilson for sure along with others.  Use whatever semantics you like, but I'm talking true Franchise Caliber and Cousins isn't in that tier. 

Rodgers ok.  Wilson?  You think Wilson carries his team?  Not with that defense he didn't.

Why do you think Cousins is not franchise caliber?  IMO he is in the tier directly behind the elites (Brady, Rodgers, Brees) That is the tier where you shell out money for your QB. That is the tier I would call Franchise. If you are holding out for Brady, Rodgers, Brees you are likely to hold out forever.

Edited by Scott7975

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Rodgers ok.  Wilson?  You think Wilson carries his team?  Not with that defense he didn't.

Why do you think Cousins is not franchise caliber?  IMO he is in the tier directly behind the elites (Brady, Rodgers, Brees) That is the tier where you shell out money for your QB. That is the tier I would call Franchise. If you are holding out for Brady, Rodgers, Brees you are likely to hold out forever.

He's a product of high volume passing attempts in schemes designed by Sean McVay and Jay Gruden that greatly padded his statistics.  He isn't a high level decision maker with great accuracy who makes his teammates better. The following are all QBs I'd rather have instead of him:

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Carson Wentz
Russell Wilson

Jimmy Garoppolo
Phillip Rivers
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup. Probably Panthers game as well. And there's really no price too high for 2-3 more wins per season IMO...which I believe is what an obvious upgrade at QB would have netted the Bills this season.

There always is a price,  some would be happy (ecstatic actually) of a very good season even if it means following two years were were in cap hell and needed to have mostly drafted players and UDFAs and tanking Cleveland style.  Seahawks got to Superbowl when their QB was cheap, P*ts get in because their QB gets money on the side not market rate, etc.