OC Rick Dennison Fired

KDIGGZ

I didn't like Dennison's play calling, but I wonder what made the Bills decide to fire him.  Like I truly wonder what their thought process was in this situation.  Even though I think the Bills need to do better at QB, I felt all season like they set Taylor up to fail.  They dumped his receivers and for the most part replaced them with grocery baggers.  The oline stunk.  The offensive style did not match his skill set and because of blocking scheme the run game took a huge hit.  Even if he is the worst QB on the planet they should have done something to make him as successful as he could be.  Seems like they did everything they could do to make him fail as hard as possible.

On the flipside.. the same could be said for Dennison.  He had mediocre for a QB, no receivers for the most part, and a terrible offensive line that couldn't block in the run game. Also they gave him Tolbert. Again, I think Dennison was a pretty bad coordinator, but I wonder why THEY think he was a bad coordinator.

Edited by Scott7975

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I didn't like Dennison's play calling, but I wonder what made the Bills decide to fire him.  Like I truly wonder what their thought process was in this situation.  Even though I think the Bills need to do better at QB, I felt all season like they set Taylor up to fail.  They dumped his receivers and for the most part replaced them with grocery baggers.  The oline stunk.  The offensive style did not match his skill set and because of blocking scheme the run game took a huge hit.  Even if he is the worst QB on the planet they should have done something to make him as successful as he could be.  Seems like they did everything they could do to make him fail as hard as possible.

On the flipside.. the same could be said for Dennison.  He had mediocre for a QB, no receivers for the most part, and a terrible offensive line that couldn't block in the run game. Also they gave him Tolbert. Again, I think Dennison was a pretty bad coordinator, but I wonder why THEY think he was a bad coordinator.

I think before the season, the Bills may have honestly believed they broke even or upgraded at WR.  They had a healthy Sammy.  They traded up to draft Zay Jones high in the 2nd.   Didn't someone say he was "all that and a bag of chips" in college?  I also think they genuinely liked Jordan Matthews and considered him the stable, hard working vet who would anchor the room be an upgrade to Woods.  It's not an unreasonable theory - similar draft position to Woods and, in his 3 years in the league, his numbers were better than Woods 4 years.  Andre Holmes was supposed to take Goodwin's place as the "burner", but be sturdier and more versatile.  When he was targeted more in 2014, he did OK as a WR.

I think they thought they had a reasonable group.  Only then they traded Sammy, Zay's hands turned out to be stone, Matthews got injured several times, and the attempt to upgrade (Benjamin) got injured.  So there they were, bagging groceries.

I also don't think they thought the OL was going to stink.  It supported the best run game in the league last year so how bad could the current group be? and they added Dawkins in the 2nd round and Ducasse (I don't know why Castillo has mad Vlad love, but he does) to improve it.  But then Glenn got injured in a way he couldn't shake, Henderson was slow to come back from suspension, and the blocking scheme proved less suited to the personnel than they thought (or something)

The whole thing with Taylor is very puzzling.  Once they decided to keep him, it does seem puzzling that they wouldn't do what they could to make him successful.  In trading Watkins for a 2nd, they took away his most comfortable target - and we can't say they did it to stockpile picks, because they wound up trading a 2nd for Benjamin who's owed $8M next year.  If they didn't want to use Taylor to his best advantage, why not be bringing in Case Keenum or whoever themselves?

As for Dennison, well, players get injured and coaches have to adjust - just as they should adjust for the players they have on the roster.  Dennison did, eventually, but too little too late.  But in truth, if it's true he insisted on starting Peterman, I think the honest "cause of firing" would be "made boss look like a fool on a national stage".

Mike McCoy is a good OC. Don’t let the one half season stint in Denver fool you. Even Denver media said the offensive problems weren’t on him. IN FACT, he’s probably the most connected OC available and could grab a killer staff/assistants.

id rather have Chudzinksi or Edgar Bennett/Alex Van Pelt...but just saying don’t underestimate McCoy, he’s a hot commodity and we’ll be lucky to get him. Remember, there are more stacked rosters looking for OCs

Edited by BillsMafioso

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In trading Watkins for a 2nd, they took away his most comfortable target - and we can't say they did it to stockpile picks, because they wound up trading a 2nd for Benjamin who's owed $8M next year. 

They traded a 3rd for Benjamin.

And the Bills fleeced the Rams with that trade.

Darrell Bevel from Seattle.  To me he seems like a great fit..... experience with a mobile qb and maybe I'm wrong but don't think they have had the best receivers in Seattle either.  We now have Benjamin Jones a healthy Mathews clay..... and best of all we have Shady!  Assuming all are back of course.   His only knock would be the play call at goal line vs patriots.  I don't know a ton about him.  Chudzinski would be my 2nd choice.... seems to have done fairly well with little weapons on his offense!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafioso said:

Mike McCoy is a good OC. Don’t let the one half season stint in Denver fool you. Even Denver media said the offensive problems weren’t on him. IN FACT, he’s probably the most connected OC available and could grab a killer staff/assistants.

id rather have Chudzinksi or Edgar Bennett/Alex Van Pelt...but just saying don’t underestimate McCoy, he’s a hot commodity and we’ll be lucky to get him. Remember, there are more stacked rosters looking for OCs

McCoy was also dumped by the Chargers.    

Two teams in one division?  

52 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I do wonder if Chud is getting to much credit for those first 2 cam seasons. Shula was the QB coach during that time. Also Shula had a great 2015. Shula is actually more accomplished than Chud. 

Shula definitely has a ton of experience, and has been around for a really long time (likely because who his father is). But he has been hated by the Panthers fans for a very long time. My biggest issue with him is not knowing how to use McCaffrey properly. 

The one thing I will add for Chudzinski is that in the 2013 year with the Browns he had something going until Brian Hoyer got hurt. That was the year they beat us Bills on Thursday night. The game where Kiko jumps over the line to make a tackle and EJ got hurt heading out of bounds. The Browns started 0-2 that year and Brandon Weeden got hurt. Chudzinski decided to go with Brian Hoyer over Jason Campbell because "it gave them the best chance to win." Literally said the same stuff McDermott says to the media.

This was his exact quote: "I feel like based on our current situation -- where we're at offensively as well as getting into the game planning for Minnesota -- that Brian's strengths are the best fit for this week and that he gives us our best chance to win," Chudzinski said. "The things that he does well fit what we need. For me, it's about who gives us the best chance to win."

Sound familiar? These guys speak the same language. 

Anyway, the Browns go on a 3 game winning streak, Hoyer gets hurt and they finish 4-12. For a couple of weeks there Hoyer was big news. "The Browns are back" is what people were saying. Josh Gordon had 87 catches for 1646 yards and 9 TDs, with Hoyer, Weeden, and Campbell throwing to him. Chudzinski knows how to coach offense. He also made Derek Anderson a competent QB and is responsible for the development of Antonio Gates in San Diego. He also developed peak Kellen Winslow Jr. I'm really excited about the possibility of Chudzinski. 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

They traded a 3rd for Benjamin.

And the Bills fleeced the Rams with that trade.

I sit corrected.  So we swapped WR and a 2nd for a 3rd.

I think it remains to be seen for each trade.  Benjamin had roughly the same per-game production as Watkins this year, can't claim we gained there.

Certainly if the Bills cut Benjamin after trading a 3rd for him, or pay him $8M because he won't reno into an unknown QB situation, he'll need to produce well next year.

If the Rams wind up franchising Watkins for $15.6M or letting him go after trading a 2nd for him, won't look smart of them will it?

4 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

To be fair, all fans usually hate all coaches save for a few examples.  It's never favourite players who are at fault.

That’s a fair point. They all seemed to like Dorsey though. I think most fans are harder on their coaches than an outsider will be but they generally like good coaches and dislike bad coaches. This is an extreme example but in New Orleans when Ryan and Allen were on the defensive staff most fans wanted Dennis Allen to take the reigns. They were right.