Bills 2018 cap space projection

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Tyrod Taylor - $9,440,000

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Richie Incognito (35 years old) - $6,425,000

Lorenzo Alexander (35 years old) - $2,550,000

Bills should have around $60 million in cap space.

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

McDermott and Beane have work to do. Excited to see what happens.

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

I highly doubt that Glenn will be cut and Alexander is cheap as a player not to mention the leadership role he provides both on and off the field.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If Groy is ready to go, I wouldn’t be too upset if Incognito were cut. 

It’s nothing personal, but that’s a lot to spend on an older RG. 

$60 mil is a lot. I’m excitsed to see what we do with it. 

when signing FA we can offer them a lower base this year and then up the base next year when we have more cap space as the player will be getting a good signing bonus when they sign which can help if we want to go after a high priced FA but still want to sign other guys

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Unfortunately we will need to fill ~20 positions with it, granted only a few are impactful. But last I checked QBs and pass rushing DL aren't too cheap.

They want to get young so they'll probably fill 15 spots with draft picks and UDFA.

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

They want to get young so they'll probably fill 15 spots with draft picks and UDFA.

I'm looking at ~$58.8M in space with 35 players on the roster major holes at DT, DE, LB, WR, QB, and OT and lacking depth at RB and in the Secondary. That's also without tweaking the interior OL, which is aging. I don't see 8 draft picks, 7 UDFA, and 3 Mid-High End FA improving our roster. Maybe 3 UDFA, maybe.

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I highly doubt that Glenn will be cut and Alexander is cheap as a player not to mention the leadership role he provides both on and off the field.

I agree. He said he'll be playing alot more DE, where he belongs, rushing the passer. He had a MONSTER game vs Jax, was flying out there, definitely keeping him for 2.5 mil, even if it is a situational role,his leadership and ability are still well worth it

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If Groy is ready to go, I wouldn’t be too upset if Incognito were cut. 

It’s nothing personal, but that’s a lot to spend on an older RG. 

$60 mil is a lot. I’m excitsed to see what we do with it. 

Hold the phone.  A  closer look shows they are not in that great a position in regards to cap space, especially not when compared to the rest of the NFL.  Bills have the second fewest players in the NFL under contract for next year with 40.  Only the Steelers have less than that with 39(and they have negative cap space once they add those players---they are going to have to do some real contract work coming up).  When looking at effective cap sapce(IE, the minimum dollars the Bills must spend to field a 51 man roster based on their current contracts and minimum salary for the other 11 they would need), the Bills have a little over $33 million before making any moves.  

That number ranks 14th in the NFL.  Leading the pack are the 49ers with a staggering $114+ million in cap space and the Browns with $110+ million. 7 more teams have over $50 million available ranging from the Colts at $82 million to the Titans at a little over $51 million.

So are we in good shape as it relates to the team?  Yes.  Are we in good shape as it relates to the rest of the NFL?  No.  We are in average shape.  

The teams in the worst shape?  Eagles, Chiefs and Steeelers all are over the cap for next year.

However, as it stands currently the Bills are 4th for cap money in 2019 and 2nd in 2020...so we are getting ready to enter a great cap place, we just won't be there next year quite yet...

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm looking at ~$58.8M in space with 35 players on the roster major holes at DT, DE, LB, WR, QB, and OT and lacking depth at RB and in the Secondary. That's also without tweaking the interior OL, which is aging. I don't see 8 draft picks, 7 UDFA, and 3 Mid-High End FA improving our roster. Maybe 3 UDFA, maybe.

interior OL and DL are always better younger IMO, so is RB and LB. I doubt they sign a bunch or FA players. Maybe they get guys without names who fit their system but I doubt they want an old roster. It's the thing they talked about most in that end of year presser.

42 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

The team currently has an effective cap space of $33 million with only 40 players under contract for next year(2nd least in the NFL--Steelers only have 39).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We are getting ready to enter a great cap place in 2019 and especially 2020, currently having the 4th and 2nd most space under the cap those years, but we aren't there quite yet next year...especially when there are 2 teams with over $110 million, one team with over $80 million, one with over $70 million, one with over $60 million and 3 others with more than $50 million...

Edited by matter2003