Vea or Hurst?

CDogg20

Vea or Hurst?   

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you rather the Bills draft?

• Vita Vea
    • Maurice Hurst

Just now, Tatonka68 said:

Hurst is a McDermott guy, senior, 4 year starter and clean cut guy. He is also more than a piece of meat to stick into the middle of the field. 

He does fit the McD mold. I’d be happy with either one of them honestly but I love the strength of Vea. Space eater who commands double teams frees up the linebackers to make more plays

I don't think he will drop to us but Vita Vea would kill Tom Brady. He may not get a ton of sacks but he will kill the oppositions running game and destroy the place where Brady and Bree's like to step into to throw perfect strikes. Vita is a no brainer but I doubt he makes it to us.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't think he will drop to us but Vita Vea would kill Tom Brady. He may not get a ton of sacks but he will kill the oppositions running game and destroy the place where Brady and Bree's like to step into to throw perfect strikes. Vita is a no brainer but I doubt he makes it to us.

Mike Mayock on a website broke down some of Vita Vea and basically said he's an ox in the middle...incredibly strong.

He showed a few plays where Vea just moved a 300+ lineman out of the way like the guy was a rag doll.  It wasn't a full body, get under the pads push....he just grabbed him and threw him.  

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This is where I’m at. Vea’s size and power would be a great addition to the front 4. To beat Brady you need to push the pocket in his face. 

He’s an amazing athlete for a guy his size too. That tackle he made on punt coverage in the bowl game was special.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, VirginiaMike said:

I like Vea because of his size.   I think we need someone who with clog the middle and stop the run.  Hurst is a little small for D-Tackle in the NFL, in my opinion.  Maybe a good 3-4 end.  

I just looked it up....Hurst is only 270 lbs.  Aaron Donald was considered light for a DT at 290 lbs...

I see Hurst definitely as a 3-4 end.

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just looked it up....Hurst is only 270 lbs.  Aaron Donald was considered light for a DT at 290 lbs...

I see Hurst definitely as a 3-4 end.

He played this season at 289.

Hurst is definitely a 3-tech.  Key to being a 5-tech is length.

If this is Hurst from Michigan then I'd say both of them.  Hurst is incredibly light for a DT.  Heaviest I've seen him listed is 282lbs. The lightest I've seen him listed is 269lbs.   Aaron Donald gives me some positive vibes about Hurst's size and play, but you'll need a space eater next to him IMO.  Hurst at the 3 tech and Vea at the Nose/1tech.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Vea is the guy.  He is the next Holoti Ngata.  6'5", 340 lbs and strong as an ox but moves like he is 290.  He is big and strong enough to be a great 3-4 nose tackle but athletic enough to fit into a versatile 4-3 scheme. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

I would prefer Vea. When we traded Dareus, it wasn't speed and quickness we were lacking. It was a brute in the trenches that couldn't be moved and forced the opposing running backs to look elsewhere for lanes. Once he left, our line was put on roller skates and blown up regularly, forcing big time plays from either defensive backs or a very mediocre LB corpse in order to stop the run, not a recipe for success. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We could use two DT, especially if Williams retires.

You think maybe he could be there in the 3rd?  

One in free agency and one in the draft.

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Vea is not a "3-TECH" DT so does not fit the system. Sorry folks. Hurst, Wilkins and Nnadi are players that fit the defense. Wilkins is a junior from Clemson, and Bills have bad luck with Clemson players, Nnadi is a senior and fits the system.

he can be the 1-tech though

Vea would fit great as a run stuffer in this defense.  The LBs need guys like him to fly around and make plays.  Vea has enough athleticism to be a pass rush threat too.  Would be a top 10 pick if not a NT.

The only DTs I see with NFL potential are....

Da’Ron Payne - All around stud little

weakness, not as quick  

as Bryan, but does it all.

Taven Bryan - Pass rush, Quick off the 

Ball, penetrates, strong

hands, arm length a 

plus.

Both can split double teams.

Not overly impressed by Vita Vea, Hurst or Wilkins.

Vita is mainly a hold your ground take on double teams, limited pass rush, sometimes in games is never seen.

Hurst is undersized, decent get off, limited pass rush and struggles for the most part with double teams.

Wilkins I feel is a more compact Alophus Washington. Little more stout but just doesn’t pop off. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mike Mayock on a website broke down some of Vita Vea and basically said he's an ox in the middle...incredibly strong.

He showed a few plays where Vea just moved a 300+ lineman out of the way like the guy was a rag doll.  It wasn't a full body, get under the pads push....he just grabbed him and threw him.  

That's why I went with Vea as well. Plus he's quick and agile for a man his size. Just a complete beast. I would even be ok with using pick 21 and maybe a 2nd and sliding up the board a little just to grab him.

If I were convinced Hurst has Aaron Donald athleticism and drive, I might lean toward him.  There is a risk, however, in that, if he doesn't, he's going to get pushed around and run on in the NFL because he is undersized at defensive tackle.  Vea is a safer pick IMO, because of his size.  Observers are saying he also is freakishly athletic to the point where being 340 lbs he could still play defensive end (presumably in a 3-4 defense).  He's quick and strong as a bear.  

• Like (+1) 1