This franchise has no ambition to win if they keep Dennison

Yeezus

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

His history doesn't exactly scream success... especially considering he worked under kubiak all that time.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DennRi0.htm

Why do we have to give him another year?  What did he do to deserve another year?  

I think it has more to do with what he was stuck with in using. Having Tyrod as the starter had fail written all over it before it even started. To even win games with what he had to use is a plus, not a big plus but a plus.

Edited by xRUSHx

Just now, dneveu said:

I dunno - there should be some accountability imo.  We are worse at everything than we were previously.  That sends a message that you can't adjust, that you aren't a strong game planner and play caller.  Also - we were SO bad in the 2nd half of games - whether winning or losing. 

It's not all the QB, when we can't get a first down late in a game running the ball.  I watched Tenn ice a game in the playoffs running the ball at the end.  Why were we always punting in those situations...? Because the guy couldn't get anything out of our talent running the ball.  

I don't think there was much of an attempt to adapt. I think they wanted to run a WCO, and did little to put Taylor in the best position to succeed. 

When Taylor clearly showed he couldn't run it properly, they went to Peterman who they viewed as a better fit. He then had his meltdown, and Tyrod went back in and continued doing just enough (not making any mistakes) to win some games and keep us in the hunt. With the team contending for the playoffs, they had to stick with Taylor, even though I think the coaches were probably convinced that Peterman was a better fit to run the offense as they wanted it run.

I'm fairly certain Taylor will be gone in the next couple months, and we'll bring in another young QB to compete with Peterman for the starting gig. Whoever they bring in will be someone who they're confident can make throws from the pocket, which is what Taylor has struggled with his whole career. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

It is not and while I was joking with my above comment, in all seriousness, the 1st and 10 screen pass to DiMarco on a critical drive in the second half vs the Patriots and some other questionable play calls give me pause.

I don't know whether McDermott will fire Dennison or not, but if he does, I'm guessing it will be after a methodical assessment of play calling vs down-and-distance.  If it's correct that the decision to bench Tyrod and start not-ready-Nate was Dennisons, that will likely play into it too.  That was a stunning example of poor player talent evaluation.

I would like to see Dennison go, because I don't think he's shown the flexibility to adjust to the players he has vs calling plays he wants them to be able to execute (his use of DiMarco and Tolbert, for example, and for that matter slowness to adjust his run game to his OL and his playcalling for Tyrod - he did make some adjustments, but too little too late IMO.  But I think McDermott will give him a "pass" on that for being his first year and not having the pieces he really wants.   (I'm not sure he should, since every time you acquire a new player, the coaches have to be able to judge his capabilities accurately - see above)

15 minutes ago, dneveu said:

His history doesn't exactly scream success... especially considering he worked under kubiak all that time.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DennRi0.htm

Why do we have to give him another year?  What did he do to deserve another year?  

Well, we did wind up with a winning record and in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.  Other than that, I would say "not much" :rolleyes:

It is and has always been a fair question "how much of Dennison's prior success was on Kubiak, and how much on Dennison?"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think there was much of an attempt to adapt. I think they wanted to run a WCO, and did little to put Taylor in the best position to succeed. 

When Taylor clearly showed he couldn't run it properly, they went to Peterman who they viewed as a better fit. He then had his meltdown, and Tyrod went back in and continued doing just enough (not making any mistakes) to win some games and keep us in the hunt. With the team contending for the playoffs, they had to stick with Taylor, even though I think the coaches were probably convinced that Peterman was a better fit to run the offense as they wanted it run.

I'm fairly certain Taylor will be gone in the next couple months, and we'll bring in another young QB to compete with Peterman for the starting gig. Whoever they bring in will be someone who they're confident can make throws from the pocket, which is what Taylor has struggled with his whole career. 

I hate agreeing with Spurs fans about anything... but this is spot on.  

I know there are differing opinions but what did Dennison do that people liked? I guess his scripted drives were okay. The halftime adjustments were awful, the passing game and running game both got worse. The red zone offense wasn’t good either. He worked with a young QB who by the end of the year looked no more ready to play than he did the 1st day of OTAs. Other than saying “there are other problems” what did you like about him? The offense was significantly better he last 2 years with a lot of the same personnel (outside of the lousy WRs). He is bad and there is no reason to bring him back.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm not saying it does, I just don't think a rookie HC who preaches "trust the process" is going to fire his OC and start from ground zero when it was obvious that the QB we had this year couldn't do what the OC was asking of him.

I suppose there's a chance they view one of the guys who just got fired as a clear cut upgrade. We'll see what happens, I just think it's unlikely. 

I agree, McBeane won't fire Dennison for not adapting his scheme to Taylor.  I don't think he'll fire him after 1 year just to "upgrade", either.

I'm not sure that means Dennison won't be fired.  As I said elsewhere, I think McDermott will do a methodical assessment of Dennison's performance as a play caller vs down and distance, his game management, and (I hope) his assessment of player capabilities vs the position he put them in - I don't mean just Taylor/Peterman, but DiMarco and Tolbert and some of the WR. 

I think when that completes, there's at least 50-50 odds Dennison goes because my drive-by view is that he's sucked and if you're going to make a change, the time to do it is BEFORE you bring in a new QB, especially a rookie.

But I don't know.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree, McBeane won't fire Dennison for not adapting his scheme to Taylor.  I don't think he'll fire him after 1 year just to "upgrade", either.

I'm not sure that means Dennison won't be fired.  As I said elsewhere, I think McDermott will do a methodical assessment of Dennison's performance as a play caller vs down and distance, his game management, and (I hope) his assessment of player capabilities vs the position he put them in - I don't mean just Taylor/Peterman, but DiMarco and Tolbert and some of the WR.  I think when that completes, there's at least 50-50 odds Dennison goes because my drive-by view is that he's sucked and if you're going to make a change, the time to do it is BEFORE you bring in a new QB, especially a rookie.

But I don't know.

I agree. If they fire him and bring someone else in I'd probably be excited. 

I'm just pointing out that I think it's unlikely, given McDermott's commitment to "the process". 

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Romo pointed out a few time where TT didn’t throw the ball when a play could have been made. So maybe the game plans are fine it’s a lack  of execution. 

You can point that out on every QB.  Yes its more prevalent with TT, but that always happens.  

I just think the offense is incredibly blah.  

1 hour ago, Yeezus said:

what scheme? the one from the 1980's that no team in todays NFL has had success with? 

this is a passing league. The Bills won't win anything if they run the ball more then they pass. name 1 team still in the playoffs that has a run first offense. 

his scheme is !@#$ing garbage. 

While I agree with you.........

Jacksonville.

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

I think it has more to do with what he was stuck with in using. Having Tyrod as the starter had fail written all over it before it even started. To even win games with what he had to use is a plus, not a big plus but a plus.

Now explain the drop off with essentially the same personnel from the previous two years. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Yeezus said:

what scheme? the one from the 1980's that no team in todays NFL has had success with? 

this is a passing league. The Bills won't win anything if they run the ball more then they pass. name 1 team still in the playoffs that has a run first offense. 

his scheme is !@#$ing garbage. 

Thank you. People always say his scheme works. Maybe 5-10 years ago but not anymore

Now I wouldn't say as far as 1980s, as Kubiak has had success with it in the late 2000s, but either way its 5-10 years out of date in today's NFL