Jim Mora Jr talks Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield

peterpan

I thought this was a cool segment and worth posting.  Jim Mora Jr is a former NFL head coach, his dad was an NFL head coach, and he coached UCLA through this season.  

Mora answers to some of the questions re Rosen, and really praises him.  Says Rosen is great in the pocket, great with accuracy, and anticipation.  I have to say I agree watching Rosen's game. 

Mora also likes Darnold, but mainly praises his athletic ability, and then says he isn't yet a "pure passer" (which scares me personally).   But he also said he thought Darnold would be a good pro.

Mora says he "doesn't know" if he would take Mayfield in the first round, and if I read between the lines, he isn't very high on his NFL prospects, but was trying to be polite and upbeat about the kid. 

Overall....I'd say Mora's take is pretty spot on from what I have seen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield is a punk.  I don't see McBeane drafting anyone like that based on the punks they threw overboard this season.  Darnold and Rosen are not in play for the Bills without mortgaging our draft.  I still think White is going to end up being the best value in the draft.

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

I thought this was a cool segment and worth posting.  Jim Mora Jr is a former NFL head coach, his dad was an NFL head coach, and he coached UCLA through this season.  

Mora answers to some of the questions re Rosen, and really praises him.  Says Rosen is great in the pocket, great with accuracy, and anticipation.  I have to say I agree watching Rosen's game. 

Mora also likes Darnold, but mainly praises his athletic ability, and then says he isn't yet a "pure passer" (which scares me personally).   But he also said he thought Darnold would be a good pro.

Mora says he "doesn't know" if he would take Mayfield in the first round, and if I read between the lines, he isn't very high on his NFL prospects, but was trying to be polite and upbeat about the kid. 

Overall....I'd say Mora's take is pretty spot on from what I have seen. 

Well, hey, interview the kid's coach, no possible bias there.

28 minutes ago, simool said:

Mayfield is a punk.  I don't see McBeane drafting anyone like that based on the punks they threw overboard this season.  Darnold and Rosen are not in play for the Bills without mortgaging our draft.  I still think White is going to end up being the best value in the draft.

white?

45 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Just please do not draft a clone of Taylor

For real. Pocket passer pkease. The mobile QB fad has run it's course. We need someone that opposing teams don't want to "make a QB". I want one of the QBs that everyone says "we have to get him off his spot". Those are the best QBs.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I ask this as somebody who doesn't follow college football a whole lot (just the big games), but assuming the Bills don't get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield: how about Mason Rudolph or Josh Allen?  Which would you prefer?

I would be fine with either one. I don't think Rudolph or Allen are Week 1 starters, but they have good potential.

I really want to see how Rudolph does in the Senior Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, hey, interview the kid's coach, no possible bias there.

Obviously but, in this case, he is also right.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Just please do not draft a clone of Taylor

44 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

For real. Pocket passer pkease. The mobile QB fad has run it's course. We need someone that opposing teams don't want to "make a QB". I want one of the QBs that everyone says "we have to get him off his spot". Those are the best QBs.

For most of the college QBs these days, their pocket presence stinks, because they are so used to bouncing outside and running.  All of this year's guys do that, execpt Rosen and Rudolph.  After watching these guys for years, I'm almost certain teams should start avoiding the bounce-it types.  It's aparant that it's a hard habit to break

Edited by peterpan

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

What Mora Says is in line with what a lot of others have said.

I'm very skeptical of pundits pre-draft, ever since the days when I heard Kiper extolling Jimmy Clausen and promising to quit if he didn't become a successful NFL QB, and various pundits extolling Blaine Gabbert (Mizzou is about the only college football I see occasionally - blech) as the #1 pick over Newton.

33 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Obviously but, in this case, he is also right.

For most of the college QBs these days, their pocket presence stinks, because they are so used to bouncing outside and running.  All of this year's guys do that, execpt Rosen and Rudolph.  After watching these guys for years, I'm almost certain teams should start avoiding the bounce-it types.  It's aparant that it's a hard habit to break

Darnold’s pocket presence is phenomenal. And he does exactly what Mora talks about in the clip. Bounces around in the pocket while looking for the throw.

Not to mention he can use his athleticism to run if needed.

Darnold reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck with his athleticism and a lot of his throws. He also reminds me a lot of Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s a mix of both.

Going forward that’s what I’m saying he is. 

Edited by Jay_Fixit

2 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

He doesn't like Mayfield because he is a winner and he sucked at winning as a coach.  He is the better pure passer over his QB in Rosen.  Only thing Rosen has is size.

And of the three, only Mayfield made the

Image result for mora playoffs

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm very skeptical of pundits pre-draft, ever since the days when I heard Kiper extolling Jimmy Clausen and promising to quit if he didn't become a successful NFL QB, and various pundits extolling Blaine Gabbert (Mizzou is about the only college football I see occasionally - blech) as the #1 pick over Newton.

Claussen was taken much later than kiper was pushing and Mcshay called him on it from the beginning. 

33 minutes ago, peterpan said:

And this is why QBing in the NFL sucks so much.