Jim Mora Jr talks Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield

peterpan

I love me some NP obviously, but if it was realistic possibility to take Sam Darnold I'd be all over it.

Some of my contacts out west think he's a better version of Phillip Rivers (who I still think has been a top 5 NFL QB his entire career despite the lack of postseason appearances/success).

Still think at the end of the day though Darnold and Rosen probably go in the top 2 to the Browns and Giants and neither team would even think of trading with the Bills or anybody else given the circumstances.

20 minutes ago, simool said:

You both are taking it to the extreme.  What your conference does is give you a body of work that you can project out and get some idea of how he will deal with a much higher level of talent at the NFL level.  The Big 12 is and has been for at least the last 10 years loaded with non-existent defenses.  I believe statistically we have a better shot of getting a QB from one of the stronger conferences.  Could there be a good choice in the Big 12? Sure but at this point it is a lot like striking gold.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part, the QBs have been suspect however that is why few of them had anyone considering them as draftable.  There have been few first rounderes and aside from the injury bug Weeden is the only one of those few who is a straight bust.   I'm sure conference will be a factor in evaluation but The last highly touted Oklahoma prospect looks like he would be a quality player if his leg would just stop falling apart. 

5 hours ago, jr1 said:

Rosen's team barely got to 6 wins this season

Well, in Rosen's defense, he lead the #4 passing offense in the country and he got very little help from the running game (#114).  As for wins and losses, UCLA's defense was ranked 123 out of 130 FBS teams.  Basically, Rosen was the entire UCLA team and the only reason they didn't go 1-11 or 2-10.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Mora here at UCLA protected, coddled and kept Rosen as far away from the media as possible. And Mora was an awful recruiter. I'm not predicting how Mayfield will end up, but I can predict Rosen will be Jay Cutler.

This is what I’ve been telling people. And you’re a UCLA ticket holder.

He’s bad news.

1 hour ago, mob16151 said:

What about Faulk?

I like Luke Falk. He is definitely a talented kid, but he did play in a Mike Leach system. 

I’ve watched a number of his games live and he can make every throw if needed. I can see him as a mid round pick.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I think EJ Manuel is a better comparison. 

Yep. Or Brock Osweiler.

2 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I love me some NP obviously, but if it was realistic possibility to take Sam Darnold I'd be all over it.

Some of my contacts out west think he's a better version of Phillip Rivers (who I still think has been a top 5 NFL QB his entire career despite the lack of postseason appearances/success).

Still think at the end of the day though Darnold and Rosen probably go in the top 2 to the Browns and Giants and neither team would even think of trading with the Bills or anybody else given the circumstances.

I actually know the same contacts as I live out here and they have told me they give you false info so they can read it online and laugh afterwards.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This is what I’ve been telling people. And you’re a UCLA ticket holder.

He’s bad news.

I like Luke Falk. He is definitely a talented kid, but he did play in a Mike Leach system. 

I’ve watched a number of his games live and he can make every throw if needed. I can see him as a mid round pick.

Yep. Or Brock Osweiler.

I actually know the same contacts as I live out here and they have told me they give you false info so they can read it online and laugh afterwards.

I didn't watch much college ball this year.

Anyone you like in this draft who should go in the first 2-3 rounds? 

8 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

I love college ball and I love Rudolph. I feel he is going to end up one of the top QBs from this class when all all said and done years later. I really want them to move up for Rosen but would be more then ok with Rudolph. I also like Darnold and Mayfield but not as much as Rosen/Rudolph.

IMO Allen and Jackson are fool's gold. Allen will take the longest to develop if he ever does and Jackson is Tyrod 2.0 IMO.

Where do you suspect Rudolph goes in the draft?

2 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Where do you suspect Rudolph goes in the draft?

IMO Mid to late first depending on how teams move to draft them and how fast others go so IMO to make sure we get him I would move up to around 15 unless only 2 have been taken then we might get lucky and stay pat at our pick but IMO 3 maybe 4(Darnold,Rosen,Mayfield) could be taken in the top 10 with this QB draft class I just hope the 4th isn' t Rudolph unless it is us taking him. Some teams want Allen or Jackson over Rudolph and I do not agree with that assessment but if some team gets ahead of us and takes Rudolph this draft will be a fail with Allen/Jackson as what we end up with IMO.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:49 AM, xRUSHx said:

IMO Mid to late first depending on how teams move to draft them and how fast others go so IMO to make sure we get him I would move up to around 15 unless only 2 have been taken then we might get lucky and stay pat at our pick but IMO 3 maybe (nold,Rosen,Mayfield) could be taken in the top 10 with this QB draft class I just hope the 4th isn' t Rudolph unless it is us taking him. Some teams want Allen or Jackson over Rudolph and I do not agree with that assessment but if some team gets ahead of us and takes Rudolph this draft will be a fail with Allen/Jackson as what we end up with IMO.

Interesting take. Sorry for the delay in my response I'm on a tablet that sucks. In your scenario let's say we do the move to 15 what are we giving up to make that small jump that has huge potential upside for us? A fifth?

24 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Interesting take. Sorry for the delay in my response I'm on a tablet that sucks. In your scenario let's say we do the move to 15 what are we giving up to make that small jump that has huge potential upside for us? A fifth?

I am not one that knows the draft value points but IMO more then a 5th would be needed to move up that many slots to 15. I was talking about a modest move up of 15 over a big trade to get into the top 5 pick that would cost a heck of a lot more. Sorry I can't help with how much it would cost, we do have plenty of picks this year to be able to do it and then some though.

Edited by xRUSHx