Thompson running free.. thanks Romo!!!

Process

TT is an outstanding athlete and, by all accounts, a good person.  He is just not an NFL quarterback.  Yesterday was just a microcosm of his tenure in Buffalo.  With that being said, the number of dropped passes did not help matters at all.  This offense has some serious issues that need to be addressed.  The OL play this year was below average, the receiving corp can't catch, and the QB refuses to get the ball out.  We must start with the quarterback.   

This may have been what I heard in the rumor mill  

The Vikings' offensive success could help a coordinator-quarterback pair land elsewhere. Will we see another signal-caller in the latter stages of his career find new life with the Arizona Cardinals?

31 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

that stinks for the Bills.  Any chance the coach ends up staying in Minn and he goes to FA?  

I feel bad for the WR's on this team. They honestly do a pretty good job and get open all the time. We need a QB that can get them the ball. I'd be surprised if any of them choose to resign with the Bills until we get a better QB.

Tyrod has been a good bridge QB and obviously has some positives to his game. Unfortunately throwing the ball from the pocket is not one of them, and he can't process what he is seeing on the field.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I feel bad for the WR's on this team. They honestly do a pretty good job and get open all the time. We need a QB that can get them the ball. I'd be surprised if any of them choose to resign with the Bills until we get a better QB.

Tyrod has been a good bridge QB and obviously has some positives to his game. Unfortunately throwing the ball from the pocket is not one of them, and he can't process what he is seeing on the field.

Image result for bridge closed

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

By a mile.  He's fantastic.  Tells you exactly who deserve credit or blame on a play, what was missed, etc.

And yes, he was also the best QB in the stadium today.

People who don't like Romo are in the minority for sure. Most people really like him, as do I. He is great at pointing out who is responsible for the bad and good going on on the field.

I think he needs some polishing as a speaker and presenter, but he'll get a lot better as time goes on. He's got a bright future.

I watched most of the game with the volume turned down because I actually grew tired of Romo pretty quickly this season. And Nantz is a bum, IMO. I also think Collinsworth is off his rocker. Romo gets ahead of himself and ends up saying some things that sound pretty dumb in hindsight. When Buffalo lined up to kick a FG on 4th & 2, Romo said, "Buffalo may as well take the delay of game penalty here and save a timeout, five extra yards at this part of the field is nothing for a kicker." My immediate thought was, "How's about no? Maybe Jacksonville will jump offsides and if they do, that's a first down. If they take a delay of game penalty, it's 4th & 7 and a five yard offsides penalty brings them back to 4th & 2." What happened? Jacksonville jumped offsides and gave Buffalo a first down. 

I dunno, it's probably just me but commentators get on my nerves after a while. I'm sure they're directed to do these things but they always try and make every little situation sound so dramatic and "game changing" when in reality it's just another play in the game.

And yes, it sucked to see Thompson flying downfield and Taylor just not seeing him. He also had Clay right in front of him early in the game on a play where he rolled right and ended up throwing it away. He would've had to thrown it back across his body a little bit but it's a throw most QBs can see and make. He did not play well yesterday, bottom line. The passes he did complete were mostly inaccurate with poor ball placement, forcing his receivers to slow up, twist/turn back, get low to grab it, he zipped a bullet at Zay that was 12 feet over his head. That ball placement stuff sounds like ticky-tack draft talk but in reality it's one of the more important traits for a QB to be good at because poor ball placement eliminates the chance for the receiver to gain YAC. He overthrew Thompson, he overthrew O'Leary, these were plays that could've swung the game their way. 

I place some blame on him, I also place some on Rick Dennison for being a very non-creative OC. An OC who doesn't maximize the talent of his players, an OC who doesn't evaluate what his players do best and design his scheme around that. I also wanna throw Juan Castillo under the bus because he took a decent OL and made them look terrible for most of the season. This is an OL that really excelled in Greg Roman's system and he combines all types of blocking schemes but mainly uses man on man, power and pulling style stuff. 2015 and 2016 showed us that clearly this OL was good at that. Last year, PFF had Shady near or at the top of their list for yards gained before contact. That's on the OL. They were opening up massive lanes in 2016. This year, it was like they couldn't get out of their own way. Shady went from a system where he usually had a clear lane to get through, to a system that gave him little space to work with and coaches that coached him to take the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" if it was there. I'll put some of the negative runs on Shady but some also need to go on the OL and the scheme because every game there were at least a few plays where defenders were coming in unblocked (untouched in some cases) and dropping Shady for 5 yard losses. Not retaining Aaron Kromer was a misfire on McDermott's part for me. Kromer had that OL playing great, now he's in LA and what happened this season? Todd Gurley was electric, had plenty of space to run and the Rams sent two OL to the Pro Bowl (Whitworth and Saffold, I believe). Wood and Incognito went last year. Not this year, tho. 

I guess I'll just never understand coaches who favor their system over designing a system around what your players do best. It's that, or Dennison just isn't creative/smart enough to identify what his guys do well and scheme up plays based on that.

Get a young, creative mind in there at OC. Someone who can relate to whichever QB they get and knows how to design plays that'll maximize what his players do well.

And I'm like 94% sure that this front office is not going to drop $15-$20 million on another bridge QB like Alex Smith or Sam Bradford, or whoever else may be available. They've spoken too much about building through the draft and developing homegrown talent. If they do sign a veteran QB, I expect it to be a guy who's been mostly a backup but has started here and there. I guess it depends on what they decide to do with the OC. But they aren't backing up the Brinks truck for Cousins or anyone else. They especially aren't going to pay out a ton of guaranteed money to a QB who may only play here for a season or two. My best guess is they make a move in the draft to get one of the better QBs, sign a veteran and let them battle it out with Peterman in camp. Or I could be completely wrong. Who knows.

But it sure is a poopy Monday knowing your team definitely had a chance to win a playoff game against an extremely overhyped and overrated Jacksonville team. Good defense? Yes. Are they an '85 Bears-level defense? Not even close. (And I only mentioned that because I've read or heard a talking head or three try to compare them to the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens). Had the easiest schedule in the league and still only won one more game than the Bills. 

End rant. Go Steelers.

Edited by blacklabel

17 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

TT is a gutless NFL QB. Guys have to be wide open for him to even think about pulling the trigger.  

And then it's 50/50 on whether he'll throw an accurate ball.  The number of overthrows this season to "NFL open" WRs is truly his legacy.

Great guy but he's a clipboard holder/gimmick player like Antwan Randle El.  That's how he should be used.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Absolutely. Romo is awesome

I like him a lot too

My only complain is he gets too honed in on the QB play when he doesnt have all of the information of what is going on the field.....because he is a former great qb people take his word as gospel.

Im thinking he is not always right but more then often is.

19 hours ago, KW95 said:

DO you really like when he talks before the play unfolds?  he tells the viewer where the QB should go.  SO annoying.  Just let me watch in peace and I will decide with my own mind whats going on.  After the play feel free to analyze it.  

Collingsworth the best by far and Romo is not even close

Collingsworth commentates like a fan does and Romo commentates through the eyes of a QB which we haven't heard much of in the past.  It's refreshing.  I like Collingsworth but Romo actually educates us about the game.  He makes it more interesting for me

The hate on this board for Tyrod Taylor is insane.  I'll be the first to admit he's not a franchise QB.  He definitely has his limitations and he's not gonna be the starting QB next season.  However, it's a combination of play calling, receivers getting open and receivers catching the ball.  How may drops did we have yesterday?  Was it Taylor's fault that that 39 yard pass play to Shady was called back for a holding penalty? To say that he doesn't make great throws is not true.  He misses just like everyone else.  May of his incompletions were him throwing the ball away.  Then people want to say he takes too many sacks.  Tyrod Taylor is one on the reasons we even made the playoffs.  The Bills require low turnovers and win by defense.  He did his job this season.  It's extremely frustrating watching him play at times and he's good as gone.  He had his chance to prove his ability but he's simply not good enough.  With this being said, I appreciate his contribution to this team and the community and I wish him well in the future.

20 hours ago, Process said:

The image of Thomson 1 on 1 about to fly by the defender on a go route is going to give me nightmares. 

They tried to give us a TD and TT still refuses to throw the ball. 

How perfectly did the last drive sum up TTs career? With two minutes left in the game, down by 7, need a TD or GO HOME, he completely misses DT running free down the sideline, doesn't even look his way when he is wide open again on the next play for a first down, and then takes a sack, getting knocked out. 

Embarrassing that it took 3 years but we can finally say goodbye. 

1st time watching football? Watch the play again, the CB breaks towards ball once its thrown. Would NOT have been even close to open! LOL Bills fans are great!

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Collingsworth commentates like a fan does and Romo commentates through the eyes of a QB which we haven't heard much of in the past.  It's refreshing.  I like Collingsworth but Romo actually educates us about the game.  He makes it more interesting for me

One of my good friends said this to me yesterday as well.

I guess I just wish there would be quiet before the play. 

20 hours ago, Process said:

The image of Thomson 1 on 1 about to fly by the defender on a go route is going to give me nightmares. 

They tried to give us a TD and TT still refuses to throw the ball. 

How perfectly did the last drive sum up TTs career? With two minutes left in the game, down by 7, need a TD or GO HOME, he completely misses DT running free down the sideline, doesn't even look his way when he is wide open again on the next play for a first down, and then takes a sack, getting knocked out. 

Embarrassing that it took 3 years but we can finally say goodbye. 

Own play. I saw Thompson all game getting no separation. If fractions of a second make up a read then quarterbacks shouldn't be looking at WRs that can't get open more than not.

1 hour ago, BillsMedia said:

1st time watching football? Watch the play again, the CB breaks towards ball once its thrown. Would NOT have been even close to open! LOL Bills fans are great!

1 hour ago, Big Curt said:

The hate on this board for Tyrod Taylor is insane.  I'll be the first to admit he's not a franchise QB.  He definitely has his limitations and he's not gonna be the starting QB next season.  However, it's a combination of play calling, receivers getting open and receivers catching the ball.  How may drops did we have yesterday?  Was it Taylor's fault that that 39 yard pass play to Shady was called back for a holding penalty? To say that he doesn't make great throws is not true.  He misses just like everyone else.  May of his incompletions were him throwing the ball away.  Then people want to say he takes too many sacks.  Tyrod Taylor is one on the reasons we even made the playoffs.  The Bills require low turnovers and win by defense.  He did his job this season.  It's extremely frustrating watching him play at times and he's good as gone.  He had his chance to prove his ability but he's simply not good enough.  With this being said, I appreciate his contribution to this team and the community and I wish him well in the future.

Yall can follow him when he’s the Cardinals backup QB next year 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, goldenboy81 said:

He had 3 drives at the end and didnt do squat.

The play he got hurt on he had thompson wide open for the 1st down.His problem is that he is a 1 read qb.

19 games lost in a row when they trail in the 3rd quarter is pathetic.Bye Tyrod

And 3-22 when we go down by even a single point in the 4th quarter. Same amount of wins there as JaMarcus Russell. 

He's virtually incapable of coming back from even the tiniest deficit. We have to hope we're nursing a lead going into the 4th if we have any shot of winning.

If the defense isn't playing fantastic, we have no chance of winning with Tyrod as the QB.