Keep the picks or just get a QB?

Virgil

With the announcements of Darnold and Rosen entering the draft, we now have at least 5 QB’s that will most likely go in the first round, maybe all in the top 10. 

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of quarterback hungry teams out there. 

If you aren’t in the top 5 and want one, I think the Colts are your chance to trade up, but that’s going to cost us a lot of our picks, if not all of them. 

So, for those who want one of those QBs, would you sacrifice all those other main picks for him or do you keep the picks, build a solid overall team, and hope for a QB that falls, FA, or next year?  

Personally, I’m torn because I would love to see a Mayfield here. But I think we could shore up almost every other position with all of our picks and get a lot better still.  Then either enter the Cousins sweepstakes or draft one next year when all these teams have their QBs. 

*I’m assuming most of our picks would be needed to trade from the 20’s to 3.  I’d guess both 1sts this year and next, our 2nd and 3rd this year as well. 

So we’d get Mayfield, a 2nd, 5th major pick this year.  Worth it?

Edited by Virgil

Don’t underestimate teams trading up. 

In your top 10 right now you have the Browns, Giants, and Jets.  They could and should all go QB. Thankfully the 49ers are set now. 

But don’t discount the Redskins, Cardinals, or Cardinals trading up. 

Everyone is going to want their guy and at least 4 of them could the top ranked player on a teams board.  

I think it’s going to be a frenzy with the most trades we’ve seen so far. The Colts, Browns, and 49ers could all be looking to trade back and get picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Don’t underestimate teams trading up. 

In your top 10 right now you have the Browns, Giants, and Jets.  They could and should all go QB. Thankfully the 49ers are set now. 

But don’t discount the Redskins, Cardinals, or Cardinals trading up. 

Everyone is going to want their guy and at least 4 of them could the top ranked player on a teams board.  

I think it’s going to be a frenzy with the most trades we’ve seen so far. The Colts, Browns, and 49ers could all be looking to trade back and get picks. 

We also still have free agency coming up before the draft. A few of those QB needy teams will fill their need there. All 3 QBs in Minnesota are set to be free agents and they won’t keep all of them. Alex Smith will most likely be available. Cousins is obviously the big fish, then you got tyrod who could possibly be let go, Eli Manning possibly, and a couple other potential starters. Should be interesting 

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Personally, I’m torn because I would love to see a Mayfield here. But I think we could shore up almost every other position with all of our picks and get a lot better still.  Then either enter the Grossman sweepstakes or draft one next year when all these teams have their QBs. 

I don't know.  He's 37 years old and I'm not even sure if he's an upgrade over Taylor.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

We also still have free agency coming up before the draft. A few of those QB needy teams will fill their need there. All 3 QBs in Minnesota are set to be free agents and they won’t keep all of them. Alex Smith will most likely be available. Cousins is obviously the big fish, then you got tyrod who could possibly be let go, Eli Manning possibly, and a couple other potential starters. Should be interesting 

This is going to be one crazy and fun draft this year. The Bills will NOT mortgage the farm and instead go the Veteran route by signing an Alex Smith and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.   It provides them a safer option and then use all those picks to get some blue chip players for defense and OL.   If it is really going to be true that 5 QBs will be taken in the top 10, then some real good prospects at other positions are going to slide down.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ganesh said:

This is going to be one crazy and fun draft this year. The Bills will NOT mortgage the farm and instead go the Veteran route by signing an Alex Smith and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.   It provides them a safer option and then use all those picks to get some blue chip players for defense and OL.   If it is really going to be true that 5 QBs will be taken in the top 10, then some real good prospects at other positions are going to slide down.

Meh. I think I’d rather keep tyrod then roll the dice with Smith. He’s another guy who doesn’t want to throw the ball down the field

7 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Meh. I think I’d rather keep tyrod then roll the dice with Smith. He’s another guy who doesn’t want to throw the ball down the field

He threw for over 4,000 yards this year with 26 td's and 5 int's.  Those are above his career average so you can't expect that from him again, but I consider him an upgrade over Taylor.  We'd have to pry trade for him though and outbid a couple of teams if KC decides to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I never heard of that.  At one point Alex Smith was leading the league in # of completions over 20 yards!

I am a fan of going for a QB until you find one. This league has proven that you need an elite QB to sustain real success. There are a few instances that you can get lucky with a average QB but most of the time it is the same QB's that are in the superbowl. Lots of Mannings, Brady's, Wilson, Big Ben. 

Last 10 Superbowls

51 Brady vs Matt Ryan

50 Manning vs Newton

49 Brady vs Wilson

48 Manning vs Wilson

47 Flacco vs Kaepernick (***WTF aberration)

46 Brady vs Eli Manning

45 Rodgers vs Roethlisberger

44 Manning vs Brees

43 Warner vs Roethlisberger

42 Brady vs Eli Manning

41 Manning vs Rex Grossman (another headscratcher)

I know some people are wanting Smith. He's a good QB. Not a great one. He is the type of QB that needs a ton of talent around him to win and things to go right. He's good enough to consistently win 9-11 games but he's not elite. He has vision issues and below average pocket awareness and needs a strong coordinator. It's frustrating because multiple times a game there will be a wide open receiver behind the defense and he has no clue. He has shown, finally, that he can throw the deep ball this year but struggles with intermediate throws outside the hash marks. He is a great QB to stabilize a franchise until you can draft and develop a QB though. He's very tough and a team leader.  

Regardless, if you trade for Smith or can land Cousins then hope you draft a QB to sit and learn and hope he is the real deal. If he isn't in a few years, draft another. As a Chiefs fan, I truly believe, that Mahomes will be special.  Every year since I could remember, I have always wished that they would take a chance at a QB and try until you hit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Any idea how high we can trade up by only using our 2 first round picks?

I reckon we see if one of the good QBs falls to whatever position those two picks can get us. I really don't think they should give up much more than that.  (But if they do... oh boy!!)

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Keep the picks AND get a QB. Have him sit behind Peterman for a bit, if necessary. I like Rudolph in the late first, if he's there.

I like peterman and all, but if we take a QB in the first or even second round, I would hope he starts over peterman 

Take your shot to move up and grab your QB.  This is the first time in years we've had the ammo to pull something off and get a QB who can lead us for a decade or more.  I love this team and TT is incredible how he handled a difficult situation, but this isn't sustainable in the long-term without a QB.