Shady injury?

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I think we need to have a balanced attack (which includes TT doing this thing running for first downs and making plays) and our D has to be rock solid in order to have a chance to win.

I honestly think we can win this game even if McCoy and the running game isn't a factor, probably the better matchup instead of going to KC again and trying to win another game there in the postseason.

Just hope we have somewhat of an aggressive gameplan early because if you jump on the Jags and force Bortles to play from behind they are much more beatable than vice versa.

I want to see Shady get more screen plays...  and line up as a WR, decoy or not he can be the YAC difference maker.  Let Webb and Murphy do their thing.  I think this game is going to come down to who is more effective in running the ball.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are sprains and sprains.  

Grade 1: no tear

Grade 2: partial tear

Grade 3: full tear

Grade 4: full tear with spleen involvement! :huh:

A sprained ankle, by definition, is the ligaments being forced beyond their normal range of motion and stretching or tearing.

The injury causes swelling, which will both restrict motion in the ankle and prevent the ligaments from tightening up and healing.

Aggressive icing, elevation, and compression can do a lot to control the swelling.    My kid had a Grade 2 sprain at the start of volleyball.  We made her immerse her foot in an ice bath 20 min on-20 min off, arnica for the bruising, gentle massage, compression the first 24 hrs (weekend, thankfully) then ROM work, and with a brace and some good but not great daily treatment from the school trainers, she was back on the court in a week but not full-go for another 2 weeks. 

I think I heard Grade 2 sprain, so it's just going to depend on exactly what ligament got sprained,  and how well Shady can well, be Shady, in a brace or tape job.

Gotta keep it real ya'll. :ph34r:

The problem with the notion, "If he can play at all, he'll play...." is that while of course a healthy or 90% Shady is far superior than anything else the Bills can do at this moment, if he basically is a "decoy" or unable to truly run, then his roster spot is wasted on someone who "MIGHT" be able to do something more....even the Murphy kid showed some nice gains and putting someone else on the roster who can actually run is pretty important given the Offensive approach. Really, at this point, even activating another WR to allow some more spread options to reduce the number of guys in the box would be a legitimate plan if Shady is unable to play at near Shady level....the Bills only had 4 active WRs for the Miami game, if Shady can't play - well, even if he can - it does not seem prudent to put just 4 WRs on the active list...JMO

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Really, at this point, even activating another WR to allow some more spread options to reduce the number of guys in the box would be a legitimate plan if Shady is unable to play at near Shady level....the Bills only had 4 active WRs for the Miami game, if Shady can't play - well, even if he can - it does not seem prudent to put just 4 WRs on the active list...JMO

Taylor (captain checkdown) rarely throws to WRs, so why do they need them? McCoy is by far his favorite receiver.

4 minutes ago, rpmfla said:

Taylor (captain checkdown) rarely throws to WRs, so why do they need them? McCoy is by far his favorite receiver.

Because they need bodies on the field to be able to catch and run. I'm not negating McCoy's influence or saying that his absence isn't catastrophic to the Offense, but what I AM saying is that trotting a half-broken Shady is NOT the answer either. The Bills need to get another RB, like today, or they need to be ready to activate another WR so that the game plan allows for more spread options for passing the ball in short yardage because having McCoy when he can't run and be as shifty as he needs to be to do his best, is waste of a spot and someone who could potentially have an impact on the game, even in special teams. 

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Because they need bodies on the field to be able to catch and run. I'm not negating McCoy's influence or saying that his absence isn't catastrophic to the Offense, but what I AM saying is that trotting a half-broken Shady is NOT the answer either. The Bills need to get another RB, like today, or they need to be ready to activate another WR so that the game plan allows for more spread options for passing the ball in short yardage because having McCoy when he can't run and be as shifty as he needs to be to do his best, is waste of a spot and someone who could potentially have an impact on the game, even in special teams. 

I agree with you...just pointing out Taylor's reluctance to throw to WRs.

Just now, Commonsense said:

I heard Shady isn't even really hurt. It's all a big ploy to expose Joe Webb's package when it matters most. 

Expose his package?

10 minutes ago, rpmfla said:

He's been throwing more to Thompson, Benjamin, and Clay...and you need WRs.....

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

He's been throwing more to Thompson, Benjamin, and Clay...and you need WRs.....

TEs and RBs are Tyrod's main targets...even when he needs long yardage. McCoy can sometimes get YAC to get those yards but if he is gimpy that takes away Taylor's favorite weapon. They have thrown to Tolbert but I don't know about the new RB they brought in as far as how good a pass catcher he is.

1 minute ago, rpmfla said:

TEs and RBs are Tyrod's main targets...even when he needs long yardage. McCoy can sometimes get YAC to get those yards but if he is gimpy that takes away Taylor's favorite weapon. They have thrown to Tolbert but I don't know about the new RB they brought in as far as how good a pass catcher he is.

Correct but Benjamin and Thompson are becoming more involved. There are options

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

All DD kidding aside, I expect both Shady to play, and a decent dose of Webb in the Wildcat to take 3-5 carries that would normally be Shady's. It would be smart, IMO. Webb can run.

Agree.   It would also be nice to see them run that Webb play again that almost went for 6 in the redzone.    Receiver was wide open.

This would be a good game to pull out the never seen before plays - like one where Tyrod lines up as a wide out - catches a backward screen pass, pretends to run and then throws it deep.

They should be throwing slants to Benjamin again and again and again.    Bootleg passes to tight ends.   If the Jags bring heavy pressure - then screens to Murphy and tight ends.

And of course, plenty of empty backfields with designed quarterback draws.

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Agree.   It would also be nice to see them run that Webb play again that almost went for 6 in the redzone.    Receiver was wide open.

This would be a good game to pull out the never seen before plays - like one where Tyrod lines up as a wide out - catches a backward screen pass, pretends to run and then throws it deep.

They should be throwing slants to Benjamin again and again and again.    Bootleg passes to tight ends.   If the Jags bring heavy pressure - then screens to Murphy and tight ends.

And of course, plenty of empty backfields with designed quarterback draws.

We aren't allowed to successfully run screen plays - only teams that play against us can do that