Rodak: Bills Remain Confident in Zay Jones

26CornerBlitz

The Tyrod trust still hasn't learned it's lesson. Receivers leave Buffalo for better QBs and produce hand over fist what they produced here. People couldn't wait to run Goodwin and Woods out of town.

Whoops.

Remember how well Hogan played and how everyone had a fit?

Ironically the guy that looks the same as he did in Buffalo is Watkins, who wouldn't know a route tree from a hat tree.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rodak: Bills remain confident in Zay Jones despite rookie's 'humbling' season

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Zay Jones is tied with Los Angeles Rams receiver Cooper Kupp in having played 712 snaps this season, seventh-most among rookies who play on offense.

But the disparity in production between the two has been striking. Kupp, a third-round pick, has 62 catches for 869 yards and five touchdowns. Jones, a second-round pick, has 25 catches for 291 yards and two touchdowns.

It has been an underwhelming season for the Bills' 32nd-ranked passing offense, and Jones' disappointing performance has been just one part of the losing equation for offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

Two words:

Tyrod Taylor

6 minutes ago, Luka said:

The Tyrod trust still hasn't learned it's lesson. Receivers leave Buffalo for better QBs and produce hand over fist what they produced here. People couldn't wait to run Goodwin and Woods out of town.

Whoops.

Ironically the guy that looks the same as he did in Buffalo is Watkins, who wouldn't know a route tree from a hat tree.

Woods? I think most people liked Woods.

Just now, Luka said:

There were plenty that felt he under performed and that we wouldn't miss him.

I don't think it is possible for a WR to underperform when Tyrod Taylor is your QB. Woods was at least a great blocking WR. There were many stretches of games where Woods was our only threat at WR (because Watkins was always hurt), and he produced.

I wish him well and hope he continues to succeed. I hope Watkins flops, though.

22 minutes ago, Luka said:

Whoops.

What happened to Sammy Watkins without Tyrod?

Why is Deonte Thompson producing so much with Tyrod when he didn't do dick before?

Hogan and Taylor had a good connection.........Hogan was sneaky good at getting deep........as evidenced in Buffalo in 2015 and in the playoffs last year with NE.

As I've said Watkins and Woods would have had better combined numbers with Tyrod this year than Goff.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think it is possible for a WR to underperform when Tyrod Taylor is your QB. Woods was at least a great blocking WR. There were many stretches of games where Woods was our only threat at WR (because Watkins was always hurt), and he produced.

I wish him well and hope he continues to succeed. I hope Watkins flops, though.

I'm with you. Definitely not happy to see Woods go. But hey, when your job is to catch the ball, you definitely don't want a guy like Tyrod throwing it to you. Then certain fans pull out some target number while failing to admit to themselves that 80% of those targets were poorly thrown balls that even the best in the league would never be able to haul in.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Whoops.

Nah man. Tyrod is just fine when he doesn’t throw from the pocket, runs around for 7 seconds avoiding the rush and hits that ever so important 6 yard gain on 3rd and 13.

But at least he doesn’t throw interceptions. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What happened to Sammy Watkins without Tyrod?

Why is Deonte Thompson producing so much with Tyrod when he didn't do dick before?

Hogan and Taylor had a good connection.........Hogan was sneaky good at getting deep........as evidenced in Buffalo in 2015 and in the playoffs last year with NE.

As I've said Watkins and Woods would have had better combined numbers with Tyrod this year than Goff.

200w.gif

I'm not sure what Zay Jones has done for the Bills to inspire so much confidence.  Especially from a regime that was all too happy to jettison Reggie Ragland and Kevon Seymour after their rookie years.  If Zay Jones had been drafted the year prior and had this type of performance last season, he would have already been cut.  

It's too early to Zay is a bust, but his rookie year was terrible.  Regardless of what the numbers say, Moulds, Price, Stevie etc all looked much better on the field their first year than Zay.  Hopefully Zay's career is just off to a bad start and he puts everything together next year, but he should head into training camp as the #4 or #5 WR at best..

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

It is a testament to the arrogance of the front office to let Watkins walk, thinking that 'Zero' Jones was going to step into those shoes..

I wouldn't want any WR to step into the shoes of Sammy Watkins. He was always hurt, and when on the field not that big of a difference maker.

He has been healthy all year for the Rams and his stats are we'll below what you want for your #1 "elite" WR.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If by "always hurt" you mean one injury plagued season(and rightfully so considering his injury) then yea you are right.

He was a BIG difference maker when on the field here. 

The revisionist history is incredible around here. 

How many times have you gotten black out drunk during Bills games?

Go look at his stats. He had a dominant 7 game stretch and that's about all.

And if you think he had 1 injury plagued season, you must have been drunk. He only played a full season his rookie year, and many of the games he DID play he was little more than a decoy because he was playing hurt.

McDermott absolutely made the right decision to deal him. He was a me first guy here, from his own mouth, and never played anywhere near the level of an elite receiver. Nor has he played up to a #1 WR in LA either, yet.

11 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Nah man. Tyrod is just fine when he doesn’t throw from the pocket, runs around for 7 seconds avoiding the rush and hits that ever so important 6 yard gain on 3rd and 13.

But at least he doesn’t throw interceptions. 

Doesn't want his PFF rating to drop.

22 hours ago, Steve O said:

Took Eric Moulds until year three to really blossom. Just sayin,' give the guy a chance. Not like he's from a big time school, might be a bit overwhelmed this year.

And everyone called him a bust but the FO stuck with him. Zay just needs some confidence, oh and a QB who actually throws to wideouts may help.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rodak: Bills remain confident in Zay Jones despite rookie's 'humbling' season

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Zay Jones is tied with Los Angeles Rams receiver Cooper Kupp in having played 712 snaps this season, seventh-most among rookies who play on offense.

But the disparity in production between the two has been striking. Kupp, a third-round pick, has 62 catches for 869 yards and five touchdowns. Jones, a second-round pick, has 25 catches for 291 yards and two touchdowns.

It has been an underwhelming season for the Bills' 32nd-ranked passing offense, and Jones' disappointing performance has been just one part of the losing equation for offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

How can they not be having doubts? I don’t believe this. 

Kupp plays with established receivers Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods, veteran tight end Jared Cook has also been healthy. Jones has had decent players Jordan Matthews and Charles Clay around him but both have been banged up. Even Kelvin Benjamin hasn't been able to stay healthy. I also think Goff is a better QB than Tyrod. So it isn't surprising that Kupp has been able to perform and produce more in the circumstances he finds himself in. So I doubt that Kupp on the Bills would be putting up anywhere close to the numbers he has with the Rams, although I think he probably would be better than Jones at least so far. 

On 12/29/2017 at 9:43 AM, TigerJ said:

A good share of the difference in production between Kupp and Jones would seem to be the struggle that Tyrod had in finding any of his WRs compared with Jared Goff's blossoming into a prolific QB in his second year.

Maybe TT should just hand it off to him? Because he drops everything thrown. Give me a break.