Sunday is the biggest game since 2004

QB Bills

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

The questions here is, will Mike Mularkey screw us again? .... for you younger folks, the Bills were heavily favored in that last game of the 2004 season--all they had to do was win, they were on a 6 game win streak and were just killing teams---to the Pittsburg Steelers, who sat all their key starters. And yet, they still crushed us rather easily. 

I rank that as one of the top three losses in franchise history: 1) Wide Right, 2) Music City Ripoff, and 3) The Great Let Down vs the Steelers.

The only question for this week is, will the demons be exercised?

That Steelers game was on the day I brought my new born son home from the hospital. Sunday will be his 13th birthday when they play Miami. My fandom wasn't yet broken in January 2005, but it is now. 

Even in 2004 we probably still wouldn't have gotten in had we won. The bills-steelers game ended before the jets-rams game and once the Jets saw the score of the bills-steelers game they pulled starters going into OT with the Rams thus conceding the game essentially. 

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

"All we need"?  That's a tall order, in my book. 

What's tall about it?  Ravens went to the wire with the Colts last week.  Their offense is inconsistent and the defense can be had.  Bengals have talent.

If they were going to lay down they could have done it in Detroit last week; they didn't, and Detroit had playoff aspirations on the line, at home.

Bengals-Ravens is a toss up.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

The questions here is, will Mike Mularkey screw us again? .... for you younger folks, the Bills were heavily favored in that last game of the 2004 season--all they had to do was win, they were on a 6 game win streak and were just killing teams---to the Pittsburg Steelers, who sat all their key starters. And yet, they still crushed us rather easily. 

I rank that as one of the top three losses in franchise history: 1) Wide Right, 2) Music City Ripoff, and 3) The Great Let Down vs the Steelers.

The only question for this week is, will the demons be exercised?

I should hope not. Demons are strong enough already I don't want them in shape too.

16 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Even in 2004 we probably still wouldn't have gotten in had we won. The bills-steelers game ended before the jets-rams game and once the Jets saw the score of the bills-steelers game they pulled starters going into OT with the Rams thus conceding the game essentially. 

really?  I did not know that.

Nicely put OP.  I was hopeful before the Patriots game and I remain hopeful.  Playoffs is on the table going into the last game of the season.  How the !@#$ can you NOT be excited?!?!?!  Save me the doom and gloom bull ****.  Being a "realist" doesn't make you a smarter fan, being optimistic doesn't make us a better fan.  I just know how I choose to view life and something as meaningless as sports fandom.  I'm revved up for the most meaningful day of football in I can't remember ho long!  Go Bills!  Squish the Fish!  Go Bengals!  Let's go to the mother!@#$ing playoffs! 

enhanced-buzz-8016-1426277582-24.jpg

5 minutes ago, section122 said:

Nicely put OP.  I was hopeful before the Patriots game and I remain hopeful.  Playoffs is on the table going into the last game of the season.  How the !@#$ can you NOT be excited?!?!?!  Save me the doom and gloom bull ****.  Being a "realist" doesn't make you a smarter fan, being optimistic doesn't make us a better fan.  I just know how I choose to view life and something as meaningless as sports fandom.  I'm revved up for the most meaningful day of football in I can't remember ho long!  Go Bills!  Squish the Fish!  Go Bengals!  Let's go to the mother!@#$ing playoffs! 

enhanced-buzz-8016-1426277582-24.jpg

ive been talking myself into this mindset all week. lol... and then I think about how every single freakin game that could have helped us went against us last week and I get all pissy and find myself kicking rocks. lol...

one time baby. ONE FREAKING TIME CAN WE GET A GAME TO GO OUR WAY??? lets go bengals!

4 hours ago, Peevo said:

I subscribe to the "broken" emotional fan you describe above.

It's just been too long, and I'm too young to know of the "glory days" when the team lost a bunch of Super Bowls in a row. 

It's not so much the ability to see the Bills as winners, as I doubt they'll get the help.  The odds are something like 13% the Bills win and get all the help they need.  So it's not looking good, and that's LIKELY.  It's more likely they miss than get in.  That's a fact.

I can't take much more of this "wait 4 months until the Patriots win the Super Bowl" thing.  It's depressing, predictable, boring, and stupid.  Nobody cares, nobody likes it, nobody wants to see this again.  They'll win another one, and Belichick will COMPLAIN at the postgame podium about how much less time his team has to prepare for the draft after all these long playoff runs.  And the wheel keeps turning.

Someone needs to put a bullet in my head.  I'm at a complete emotional loss.  A lot of fans that for some reason either convince themselves (lie to themselves) that they're gonna win each week get on the "naysayers" that offer a reasonable, fact-based, objective perspective.  Somehow I'm a bad guy for not believing in a team that's known for nothing but losing virtually their entire existence.  They're a franchise loser, with a 408-467-8 overall record.  They'd need years of sustained, consistent winning to just get back to .500 overall.

The future is bleak. Let Morty explain this better than I can.

Sorry OP,  but a lot of us old timers who remember the glory years are broken too. After last week I've never been more convinced we won't make the playoffs UNTIL THE NFL ALLOWS US ENTRY.

We don't generate NFL TV revenue 

We don't have compelling stars like Brady

We're a small market

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Will suck worse if we LOSE to Miami and the other scenarios DO go our way. That is the most Billsy outcome possible.

Na.. I think it would suck worse if we beat the fish and don’t get help.

also, it seems like the entire board has looked past the dolphins. They are good at home. It’s gonna be a difficult game. 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I agree. In ‘04, it was ‘Win & In’. Not the case here at all.

(BTW, OP, I’m still in holiday mode, though it’s fading fast. Next time you refer to a group of posters you don’t agree with as “idiots” will have consequences. See edited original post)

It wasn't win & we were in.  The Jets had to lose also, which they did.

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gordio said:

It wasn't win & we were in.  The Jets had to lose also, which they did.

Jets lost because our game ended before their game did and once they saw we had lost they pulled most of their starters going into OT and thus conceded the game. We probably still don't make it had we beat the steelers 

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

That is like saying 'All I need is 5 numbers in the Powerball to get out of debt'

Yeah because the Ravens are some kind of juggernaut aren't they?  It is unthinkable that they will lose to the Bengals.  Jesus Christ.

6 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Jets lost because our game ended before their game did and once they saw we had lost they pulled most of their starters going into OT and thus conceded the game. We probably still don't make it had we beat the steelers 

Yeah I do vaguely remember that. 

At the beginning of the season (and even before), so many had predicted a 3 maybe 4 win season. So much gloom and doom. But, here we are knocking on the playoffs door!! It's not easy, for sure (17 years will do that!). But, this is a very exciting time of the year. IMO, the scenarios to get in aren't that daunting: 

1. I think the Bills can win against the Dolphins if McCoach and that "OFFENSIVE" coordinator have a solid, flexible game plan (NO TOLBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!)   

2. Bengals and Marvin Lewis have a winning record against the Ravens. I also feel that the Bengals are playing for pride and don't much care for the Ravens. This is going to be a nasty game. I think the Bengals approach the Ravens just like they do the Steelers. I see a Bengals win.

3. Jags aren't backing down despite already being locked-in to the playoffs. Jaguars are the better team and the Titans have been erratic. I see the Jags heading into the playoffs strong with a win. I think Marrone feels that the Jaguars are better than the Pats* and Steelers and can be the ultimate underdog. But, he's going to keep them hot. Jags win.

4. Chargers/Raiders. Haven't a clue what really happened to the Raiders this year, but they seem to be starting to head in a better direction as of late (played well against the Eagles). The Chargers barely beat the Jets and struggled against the Browns. The Chiefs took them to town. So, AFC West showdown. Tough game to call. I can see the Raiders spoiling the Chargers' dream. I certainly hope so. This game might be the toughest to predict. But, go with the trifecta and Raiders win.

5. BILLS IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

At the beginning of the season (and even before), so many had predicted a 3 maybe 4 win season. So much gloom and doom. But, here we are knocking on the playoffs door!! It's not easy, for sure (17 years will do that!). But, this is a very exciting time of the year. IMO, the scenarios to get in aren't that daunting: 

1. I think the Bills can win against the Dolphins if McCoach and that "OFFENSIVE" coordinator have a solid, flexible game plan (NO TOLBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!)   

2. Bengals and Marvin Lewis have a winning record against the Ravens. I also feel that the Bengals are playing for pride and don't much care for the Ravens. This is going to be a nasty game. I think the Bengals approach the Ravens just like they do the Steelers. I see a Bengals win.

3. Jags aren't backing down despite already being locked-in to the playoffs. Jaguars are the better team and the Titans have been erratic. I see the Jags heading into the playoffs strong with a win. I think Marrone feels that the Jaguars are better than the Pats* and Steelers and can be the ultimate underdog. But, he's going to keep them hot. Jags win.

4. Chargers/Raiders. Haven't a clue what really happened to the Raiders this year, but they seem to be starting to head in a better direction as of late (played well against the Eagles). The Chargers barely beat the Jets and struggled against the Browns. The Chiefs took them to town. So, AFC West showdown. Tough game to call. I can see the Raiders spoiling the Chargers' dream. I certainly hope so. This game might be the toughest to predict. But, go with the trifecta and Raiders win.

5. BILLS IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!  

I'LL TAKE IT! ?