The :"just give it to them" screw job

Pete

That was the worst call I have ever seen in the NFL.  If memory serves me right,  the Pats player caught the 4th down ball out of bounds, in front of the first down marker, with seconds left in game.  They award first dowh, Pats attempt hail mary, and then the only PI I can recall on a hall mary play is called.  The game can't end on defensive foul, so Pats score with no time left.  Does anyone have video of that screw job?  I have heard and doubted many people who told me the nfl was fixed.  But after that game, I wonder

and of course it was the Pats who were the beneficiaries of that travesty

Yes 

In my mind this is when i started hating the pats and boston in general...

It ended up costing buffalo a home playoff game and momentum for the div title...

Ralph Wilson and up writing a letter 2 Paul taglia boo about how disgusting he was with the officiating

It was a pretty public and disturbing letter in the NFL ended up finding Wilson like a quarter million dollars it was pretty bad

My stomach was ill for about 2 weeks after that game total con job

I remember the Mercury Morris fumble while he was in the air over the Defensive ends head and shoulders, his name escapes me, being called down by contact. Shula's "magic" on the competition committee. There was a rumor that if the officials called to many on the Fish that they were warned and then let go if it continued.

29 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I remember the Mercury Morris fumble while he was in the air over the Defensive ends head and shoulders, his name escapes me, being called down by contact. Shula's "magic" on the competition committee. There was a rumor that if the officials called to many on the Fish that they were warned and then let go if it continued.

Pat toomay or earl edwards

ralph went nuts on that call too

Edited by Helpmenow

It's the biggest reason I CANT STAND watching the NE games (besides losing all the time, of course).

I told my wife at the time of the KB TD that their was FULL EVIDENCE that it was a catch, but since it's NE, there is no doubt it will get overturned. I blanking hate being right.

I am getting sick of this crap and it makes me root for something I don't want to do..,........

root for a player, or players on NE to get hurt.

My frustration over this BS is at an all time level now.

Don't know you folks feel, but, I think you guys might in the same boat as me.

• Like (+1) 1

The play against Miami was brutal.  They had come back and were on fire, and Morris was upended, and the ball came out before he hit the ground.  He was called "down by contact," no fumble.  And Toomay, who recovered the fumble, was penalized 15 yards for bumping the ref as he went for the ball.  The team was going nuts.  On the next play, they ran a draw play to Don Nottingham, the human bowling ball, who ran right up the middle for 55 yards.  The ref's name was Pat Bergman, and after the game Wilson declared he would never call another Bills game.  Wilson was fined, but Bergman never called another Bills game.

3 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

Man, that was some definite BS.

Also, it's crazy to think how many times Flutie threw for 300 yards in one season... The NFL wasn't even the passing league it is now. If we had a QB like him right now we'd be killing it :)

5 hours ago, Pete said:

That was the worst call I have ever seen in the NFL.  If memory serves me right,  the Pats player caught the 4th down ball out of bounds, in front of the first down marker, with seconds left in game.  They award first dowh, Pats attempt hail mary, and then the only PI I can recall on a hall mary play is called.  The game can't end on defensive foul, so Pats score with no time left.  Does anyone have video of that screw job?  I have heard and doubted many people who told me the nfl was fixed.  But after that game, I wonder

Correct. He was out of bounds and well short of the first down marker...and they gave NE the first down anyway.

10 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That's same old to me!  The BILLS were 0 for the 70's against Miami.  It's not as bad as it looks but every close play went against the BILLS.  Don Shula was on the "rules committee." so they were pretty much immune to close calls going against Miami.

yeah but every close play went for the Bills against the Falcons and all the other turnover wins... not a Bill B. fan, but "you are what your record says you are" in the NFL, bc over 16 games the bad calls offset the favorable calls.   the t White fumble TD was not a fumble.  but it was called a fumble and completely changed   that game.  just sayin', the breaks kind of even themselves out over the course of 16 games.  the least injured (L.A.) and /or HOF QB type teams (you know who they are) are usually  making the playoffs.  

That was such a bs call on the 4th down. The ball wasnt even passed the sticks if he was in bounds,  he wasnt tho.

Its funny how ever since the Montreal Screw Job of 97 anything and everything that happens in the tri state and canada is a "screw job".

Bret Screwed Bret! Suck it Canada!!!

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Pats were screwed by a bogus roughing the passer call that bailed out the Raiders in the playoffs in the 70s, the Sugar Bear Hamilton call.

And that was probably the last time the Pats were ever screwed by a bad call.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

The "Just Give it to Them" Game...

That game was the beginning of the "screw the Bills, help the Pats" era of officiating, I believe. Not long after that game, there was the "unconscious player" on the sidelines fumble/non-fumble call that bailed out the Pats and cost the Bills yet another significant game. Can anyone shed some light on that?