ESPN predicts Alex Smith as starting Bills QB in 2018.

PIZ

17 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Most important part is the last sentence: "...if the team intends to commit to offensive coordinator Rick Dennison."

No. "... especially if the team intends to commit to offensive coordinator Rick Dennison."

I'd love Smith as a bridge / insurance guy. Don't want just him and not a high draft pick.

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We already have an average QB!!! Why is everyone so anxious to swap Taylor for a guy that isn't much better anyway? Smith, Taylor, Cousins, Garappolo? How about we go after someone that could be great instead of just OK?

Tyrod is slightly below average. Smith is slightly above average. And has actually been better than that this year.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

isn't foles on a 1 yr. deal? i thought we should have gone after him before he went to kc. if he hits the market and is looking like a 18 to 20 mil. i think we should get him here and lock him up. i went on about this a long time ago when everyone said he was garbage and a one year wonder....well he may just win the sb...how bout dat?

Actually he signed a five year deal but with way it's structured it's more like two years. I admit I was pounding the Foles bandwagon last off season as our bridge QB.https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/03/17/nick-foles-eagles-contract-void

11 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I know, that would be an outrage! Who cares if he plays great, takes care of the ball, can move the ball through the air, can read a defense, can run the ball when he has to, go through his progressions, throw receivers open, can hit people in stride, can actually call audibles, and finds ways to win consistently? 

Apparently 33 is too old anyway. I mean these older guys can't play:

Ben Roethlisberger (will be 36 start of next season)

Tom Brady (will be 41 start of next season)

Drew Brees (turns 39 next month)

Phillp Rivers (36)

Matt Ryan (will be 33 before start of next season)

Carson Palmer (turns 38 in a week)

Aaron Rodgers (34)

They should've all been out of the league years ago!

The age factor is BS. We need a solid VET to groom our rookie that we should still draft in the 1st round of 2018. Throwing in a day 1 rookie as a starter is not a good way to develop a fresh QB.

It's really all for not though, Reid isn't stupid enough to deal Smith until he sees what Mahomes will do in real games consistently, most likely in 2018.

Defenses have TT down in his 3rd season and his numbers drop 3 years straight. While Alex 12 years in the league has his numbers going up.

TT Yards per game as starter:

2015 - 217ypg

2016 - 201ypg

2017 - 178ypg

Smith last 3 years as starter:

2015 - 218ypg

2016 - 234ypg

2017 - 267ypg

In 2015 you can say they were mirror or "clones", 2016 and 2017 the separation begins big time. You see one QB getting more consistent (better) and the other doing a 180* turn.

Smith is not HOF material but he would be the difference of us being 10-4 right now as we beat the Panthers and Bungles if he was our QB this year.

Edited by Real McCoy

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I have an idea. Why don't we dump Dennison and TT. Then trade up to draft a quality "young" QB prospect. 

I'm higher on TT than I am on Dennison. Taylor has at least shown flashes and has top-notch athletic ability and leadership qualities. Dennison scares me because of his lack of adaptability. 

I would not mind keeping TT to help groom our quality "young" QB prospect and teach him how to protect the football, as well as how to be a leader. Then, when the new QB is ready to take the reigns, we have the best back-up, wildcat, filthy rich man's Joe Webb-type of QB in TT, and are either (a) still spending the same as everyone else at the QB position or (b) closing in on a deal for draft picks to send TT to a desperate team. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No. "... especially if the team intends to commit to offensive coordinator Rick Dennison."

I'd love Smith as a bridge / insurance guy. Don't want just him and not a high draft pick.

Yes, especially. Not against Smith either and also do not think any QB we bring in (even Cousins) should preclude OBD from drafting at least one QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so what pick(s) do you have left to build with if the Deadskins want a king's ransom?.....this is the RG II 1/8 deal in reverse......

Yeah, this is assuming the Skins have no real leverage to force an expensive trade.  I personally would not pay a king's ransom and I am ambivalent about Cousins, period.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

The age factor is BS. We need a solid VET to groom our rookie that we should still draft in the 1st round of 2018. Throwing in a day 1 rookie as a starter is not a good way to develop a fresh QB.

It's really all for not though, Reid isn't stupid enough to deal Smith until he sees what Mahomes will do in real games consistently, most likely in 2018.

Defenses have TT down in his 3rd season and his numbers drop 3 years straight. While Alex 12 years in the league has his numbers going up.

TT Yards per game as starter:

2015 - 217ypg

2016 - 201ypg

2017 - 178ypg

Smith last 3 years as starter:

2015 - 218ypg

2016 - 234ypg

2017 - 267ypg

In 2015 you can say they were mirror or "clones", 2016 and 2017 the separation begins big time. You see one QB getting more consistent (better) and the other doing a 180* turn.

Smith is not HOF material but he would be the difference of us being 10-4 right now as we beat the Panthers and Bungles if he was our QB this year.

One player playing with an offensive genius and another playing with 3 different coordinators. One player on a team loaded with offensive talent and another one on a team with 3 new starters at receiver..... Yet the teams have the same record. 

52 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Just what we need. The same amount of targets to WRs.....

They have 2 pass catchers at 1000 yards already. Clay, the Bills leading pass catcher has 457 yards. 

Google is a powerful tool.

8 minutes ago, unclepete said:

One player playing with an offensive genius and another playing with 3 different coordinators. One player on a team loaded with offensive talent and another one on a team with 3 new starters at receiver..... Yet the teams have the same record. 

So he gets Kelce, Hunt and Hill and his numbers go up. Is that what is supposed to happen when you give a QB weapons? TT has weapons, you ever think why we have had 3 OC's and some fans are crying for a 4th? It's not rocket science when your leading pass catcher through 14 games is under 500 yards receiving.

The comparison to TT and Smith is a boneheaded argument. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

They have 2 pass catchers at 1000 yards already. Clay, the Bills leading pass catcher has 457 yards. 

So he gets Kelce, Hunt and Hill and his numbers go up. Is that what is supposed to happen when you give a QB weapons? TT has weapons, you ever think why we have had 3 OC's and some fans are crying for a 4th? It's not rocket science when your leading pass catcher through 14 games is under 500 yards receiving.

Ive seen too many Chiefs games this year. I own Kareem Hunt in my main fantasy league. A bubble screen and a 2 yard slant and out is not what id call much of a target....

Sure he does his nice little deep ball every now and then...but who doesnt?

19 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Ive seen too many Chiefs games this year. I own Kareem Hunt in my main fantasy league. A bubble screen and a 2 yard slant and out is not what id call much of a target....

Sure he does his nice little deep ball every now and then...but who doesnt?

I'll just leave these. Spin it how ever you want but your wrong.

KC.JPG

Bills.JPG

Our top 3 pass catchers combined are just barely, barely above Hill. It's pretty sad that our leading pass catcher is only 7 yards in front of their 3rd.

TT and Smith are 100% not clones as many try to suggest or fabricate. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I doubt this VERY seriously.  If Alex gets cut, a bidding war will ensue.  There are a lot of QB needy teams out there besides us. I'd offer them the 1 we got from them last year.

That's all you need to know who is the better QB. Smith will have a bidding war, TT not so much if at all.

• Like (+1) 1

We've had 3 OCs because they haven't been very good. He has an offensive genius as a head coach who has proven he can be successful in the NFL. And you could argu he was more successful .

Once again, Andy Reid has had Donavan McNabb, Nick Foles, Mike Vick, Alex Smith and all have been very effective under him. Which of the OCs we've had have seen that kind of success? And Tyrod always dealt with a lot of injuries and inconsistencies at Receiver. And of course I have to quaify this statement by saying we know who TT is etc.. But good coaches get the most out of the talent they have. 

10 minutes ago, unclepete said:

We've had 3 OCs because they haven't been very good. He has an offensive genius as a head coach who has proven he can be successful in the NFL. And you could argu he was more successful .

Once again, Andy Reid has had Donavan McNabb, Nick Foles, Mike Vick, Alex Smith and all have been very effective under him. Which of the OCs we've had have seen that kind of success? And Tyrod always dealt with a lot of injuries and inconsistencies at Receiver. And of course I have to quaify this statement by saying we know who TT is etc.. But good coaches get the most out of the talent they have. 

So it's the coach and OC then? Sorry man, the best coach TT could of had was Roman who is gone with the Ravens. Remember how good Kap looked when Roman was there? What happened to Kap and Harbaugh for that matter after he left? 

Roman is not coming back. 

Just now, Real McCoy said:

So it's the coach and OC then? Sorry man, the best coach TT could of had was Roman who is gone with the Ravens. Remember how good Kap looked when Roman was there? What happened to Kap and Harbaugh for that matter after he left? 

Roman is not coming back. 

He Ravens offense doesn't look very good and he'n not the coordinator there. He also struggled toward the end of his tenure with the 49ers while Roman was there. I'm not advocating for Roman to come back. Just making a statement that good coaches adjust their systems to fit their talent. We've seen Tyrod play better than he's played this year albeit with more talent. Andy Reid is an offensive mind who's had success everywhere he's gone. No use in spending the money or trading an asset when we have a similar QB under contract. Draft the QB and continue to get more young talent with the extra picks

24 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

That's all you need to know who is the better QB. Smith will have a bidding war, TT not so much if at all.

There will certainly be teams interested in TT but as a backup or placeholder for a top 10 draft pick at QB (i.e. Cleveland).

But anybody that truly believes teams will be lining up for TT to be their starter are in for a surprise.

• Like (+1) 1