John Murphy Scolds Bills Fans For Being "Negative"

BuffaloRush

I listened to it. I found his reasoning for not liking the term to be puzzling. He said when the Steelers lost to the Patties do they call it a Steelery thing? The Steelers and every other team in the NFL hasn't been in a 17 year drought. His response to that is this is not the same regime as the last 17 years. True but It's the same organization. Personally I think the term Billsy has merit. It describes a situation that only a team with our past can relate to. Only passionate fans that have had the carrot dangled in front of them for so long without ever tasting it can appreciate the term.

Want to experience the term Billsy, watch the ESPN animated commercial from a years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oZe9mzFxF4

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I listened to it. I found his reasoning for not liking the term to be puzzling. He said when the Steelers lost to the Patties do they call it a Steelery thing? The Steelers and every other team in the NFL hasn't been in a 17 year drought. His response to that is this is not the same regime as the last 17 years. True but It's the same organization. Personally I think the term Billsy has merit. It describes a situation that only a team with our past can relate to. Only passionate fans that have had the carrot dangled in front of them for so long without ever tasting it can appreciate the term.

Want to experience the term Billsy, watch the ESPN animated commercial from a years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oZe9mzFxF4

There's a difference between having a word that describes the historical experience and letting the word control your perception of the present.  8-6 and competing for the playoffs is where you want your team to be.   In isn't Billsy.  

Edited by Shaw66

12 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Murphy hates the term “Billsy” as well.

He should - it goes well past frustrated to defeatist - linking the name of the franchise to some sort of pattern of failure just perpetuates the grief with no value added.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There's a difference between having a word that describes the historical experience and letting the word control your perception of the present.  8-6 and competing for the playoffs is where you want your team to be.   In isn't Billsy.  

Or more to the point - it's every bit as "Billsy" as losing any number of stupid ways.

Bruce Smith was Billsy too by name association.   Want to tell him that's an insult?

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

He should - it goes well past frustrated to defeatist - linking the name of the franchise to some sort of pattern of failure just perpetuates the grief with no value added.

Maybe, but I like to think of it as making light of a bad situation.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. Some positivity when they are in contention?

I really believe some people actually be upset when we end the drought.

I hear your point. I'm not going to get positive or negative. Just going to let it play out.

Becauuse the last time I was positive when the Bills were 8 and 6, they just beat greeen bay.

And then lost to a 2 win Raider team lol

12 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

On my drive home today I turned on The John Murphy Show.  Toward the end of the first hour - which you can find lined to below, a called from LA asked if Bills fans were too negative.  This prompted John Murphy, Donald Jones, and this caller (who was actually very charismatic) to basically scold the Bills fans that have been critical of the team.  It's actually an interesting listen.

With that being said, as a Bills fan for nearly 30 year I get the negativity.  I don't think Bills fans are any more negative than fans would be in sports towns that have not been successful for 2 decades.  I can definitely see how the heavy criticism could be viewed as pessimism, but you also have to take into account the events that have transpired over the past two decades.  So I totally understand why fans and the media can be hard on the franchise.  The Bills have done little to earn the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway you can hear the 10 minute clip below.  I have it cued up at the spot where the caller starts the conversation so you can hear for yourself, but if it doesn't work skip the 31:58 mark

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/12-20-john-murphy-show-hr-1-0?seek=1918.20

Who signs his paycheck?  Of course he is going to tow the company line.

This is the same guy that at one point thought that EJ wasn't given the proper time to develop into a NFL QB not to mention how the guy flip flops back & forth on other issues .

Plus his stupid nick names he gives players TRE DAY - TRE DAY - TRE DAY - REALLY ???? 

Trying to stay as positive as possible for a team you are a fan (fanatic) of? BLASPHEMY!

Why do that when you can put a safe, negative take on everything? It shows you are hard! and critical! and a "realist"! and "not gonna buy what they're selling"! and "not a schil"! and if they only listened to you, the team would be better off!

• Like (+1) 1

People really should enjoy this a little bit more than they have been.  The Bills are actually playing meaningful games in December.  Now, "enjoying it" doesn't mean that you blindly accept everything that is coming out of OBD.  As a fan, you have every right to question team decisions (and you should, especially in the case of the Bills!).  Just appreciate the games because there is no guarantee that they will be doing this well next year

• Like (+1) 1

i listen every day. i've been a fan now for 44yrs. and i am so addicted to this team, i don't care who the host(s) is/are.  i am going to choose to be grateful that this team is where they're at. one year ago we had a joke of a coaching staff, whaley as gm and ej as a backup.

at least i don't have to hear murph homer that up. for the first time since 99, i actually have some hope. i like the direction this staff has this thing going.

they hit it out of the park with what they had to work with in the draft and set us up in the best position for this next one better than any year i can remember. i can't wait to see what this all star scouting department does.

i understand murph is an employee and i get annoyed with dj being a tt homer, but it's bills talk and i'll take it all day long. i also prefer to listen to murph/kelso game coverage while watching the games. most of the tv crews are a bore, this last week being the worst. i will listen to romo though.

a win this sunday would be one fantastic christmas present!

Edited by billsredneck1

They weren't really targeting Bills fans in general. They were targeting the rare few who do not have the ability to enjoy wins anymore because of the perceived "mistakes" that the coaches or organization have made, such as punting when they think they shouldn't have. Also fans who think they should stop winning games so they can get a better draft position, when they have a serious shot at getting in the playoffs, or because the Bills might lose in the playoffs anyway.

Bills fans can be negative all they want, but I completely agree with John and Donald and the fan from LA. The Bills should always try to win games. That is their job. And we as fans should enjoy it when they do win.

The problem is that some fans can ONLY see the negative and refuse to enjoy the team winning because of their decision to hate the coaches and GM because of moves they have made, or to hate Tyrod because of his deficiencies, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

i'm sure it's been said already, but i completely understand the negativity.  it's warranted, and i understand its origins.  that being said, there a point where it goes completely overboard.  we all know at least a few in real life, and on this board that can't carry on a normal football conversation because they're entirely too jaded by this team.  why bother?  it's a game and should be fun.  if you can't even discuss football and get some enjoyment, time to move on.

I think most of the frenzied negativity comes from impatience. It's been a rough 17 seasons. We've seen them go from absolute bottom of the barrel to "almost made it" followed by epic runs to 7-9 mediocrity, back to "just missed" and then back down to the middle again. It might be different if they were like Cleveland where the team is out of the hunt by week eight, but in Buffalo, every season, they do just enough to be "in the hunt" as the season hits the home stretch. And once they're in that position, we get backbreaking losses that knock them out of contention with a game or two to go. So, I get it, it's frustrating to see them keep trying to climb the hill and get over the hump only to slide back down year after year. That I can understand.

What gets old is the instantaneous negative reactions after one game or even one quarter. I remember the Raiders game this year when Carr hit Crabtree for 40 yards and half this board blew up saying the game was over right then and there. And then as the season has progressed, the team has overachieved for the roster it has, yet people still think it's a good idea to fire McDermott and start all over again. That's the impatience. 

In all honesty, I think this team is in a decent place. No one expected them to be where they are at this point in the season. Seeing them achieve a non-losing record with all of the turnover and trades and "misfit players" they got on this team makes it interesting to see what's going to happen next year after they get a full off-season with the same group of people running the show. 

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

No. At some point people need to get over the past and understand this team is different.

No, it's really not. They lost to a lousy Miami squad. They're beatable, and it's time to get the monkey off the back.

When they make the playoffs Ill believe its different. Do I like alot of what I see. Absolutely. But this team needs to take a real step. Like winning out. That means beating NE on their own turf in a game thats important to them as well. Then going to Miami and closing the deal. 8-8 or 9-7 and missing the playoffs is the same thing weve been watching for almost two decades.  

Those who think that John Murphy is always positive about the team are wrong. He spends half the time talking about deficiencies. I guess what makes him different is he doesn't complain or cry about it, or use the past 17 years to explain it. He has said time and time again that this Bills team has serious problems and lacks talent. He is a fan and wants the team to do well and still has hope that they will.

Donald Jones, who I am not a fan of on the show, almost exclusively has negative things to say about Tyrod Taylor, always talking about his inability to throw the ball well, albeit in as positive a fashion as he can.

14 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Negative?!?!

Haven't made playoffs in 17 frickin years.  Last time we were in the playoffs, we were screwed by the refs.  Had a chance to go to the playoffs versus backups and lost.  Started off hot how many times just to be disappointed. 

Yet the stadium still sells out, sit through a foot of snow and had one of the highest TV ratings in years. 

Negative is a defamatory term, and that is not something Bills fans should be called.

the bolded part is 100% spot-on.  We have a right to be "upset," or "frustrated," but calling Bills fans negative is ridiculous.  I can't think of another sports team that would sell out or even have as many fans in the stadium (or a message board as passionate as this) after 17 non-playoff seasons! 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

the bolded part is 100% spot-on.  We have a right to be "upset," or "frustrated," but calling Bills fans negative is ridiculous.  I can't think of another sports team that would sell out or even have as many fans in the stadium (or a message board as passionate as this) after 17 non-playoff seasons! 

He wasn't talking about all Bills fans. He was talking about the rare few who are ridiculously negative, who no longer have the ability to enjoy a win and who want to fire the coaches for punting, or who want them to lose as many games as possible to get a higher draft pick, or who don't want the team to make the playoffs because they might get beat.

Those ones. If that is you, then yes, they were talking about you. And they were right.

Agree with John Murphy.  I try to keep upbeat, but I'm sure I'm guilty of a negative post or two myself.  It's time to get excited about the playoffs!  I think it is going to happen THIS season and it's time to get fully behind the team for this playoff push.

• Like (+1) 1

The part that I think fans get divided on is some look at the entire drought while others look at the start of this regime on.  I like to look at this regime up to this point and I think they've done a nice job so far as we sit at 8-6 and a chance to get into the playoffs with a bunch of draft picks and salary cap space available for this offseason to put try to put this team on track in the future.  They've made some future moves that have hurt the now but the hate for those moves just shows our impatience as fans and that's where I think the fans carrying their negativity from the entire drought into this regime causes irrational thinking.  

It's easy to look at the entire drought and have no optimism but to me, that is a lazy fans game.  This regime hasn't been here over the entire drought and neither has this ownership, so to carry on the negativity from the last regime and ownership into this one doesn't make logical sense to me.  This is the problem I think we have as a franchise.  We carry the negativity and blame from regime to regime like we are passing on the baton.  Can we not be excited about a regime after 1 year where we don't go to the playoffs but show promise for the future?  I don't know that answer anymore because of the constant calls to fire someone.  We have lost all patience as fans because we look at the entire drought instead of a single regime's time in the building.  

The calls to fire McBeane and McDermott are just lazy and impatient in my opinion.  You can't look at the entire drought and have that effect a single regime after 1 season.  We can't let them grow?  They are both new to their positions.  Can they not get better?  They have set themselves up to trade up for a franchise QB or reset the roster with young talent which is more than we can say about past regimes.  The only other team that has more constant turnover than us is Cleveland...enough said there.

I think Murph is right by calling out the fans.  The negative fans don't give the team a chance to grow and succeed.  While some individual moves don't work out, not every move is going to.  Have a realistic expectation.  We just had a solid draft.  We just had a free agent pickup make the pro bowl.  Can't wait for this offseason!  

From an optimistic fan...

• Like (+1) 1

I was off the mark because I only thought the Bills would win 5 or 6 games this season. I didnt think they would tank, I just didnt think they had the offensive talent to put up points.....that line of thinking I wasnt too far off on but they have done enough to win some games. I was fine with the moves the Bills made because of the draft picks they received and I like the Benjamin trade. I like McD/Beane and the direction they seem to be heading in.

As far as fans being negative about the Bills, some people are just waiting for a let down that has come every year. They would rather not get their hopes up. They see the offense struggle and throw up their hands. I also think that the offense being so conservative doesnt help....boring sometimes. 

This is where I might get flamed but there are a good number of negative people in Buffalo in general. Just in my family I can name several people who are negative about almost everything. Last time I was flying to Buffalo I got to my connecting gate and I heard two different people complaining in louder voices about different subjects.....I knew I was at the right gate.