Zay Jones right now is a bust

Foreigner

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It used to take WR 3 years before they start to put up good numbers. Their are some all time great WR's that disprove this but most WR's need 3 years.

Like who for example? Not Woods or Sammy. They were productive out of the chute.

Edited by reddogblitz

Can you really even call a 37th overall pick a "bust" after one season?  I just feel like it doesn't work, it's too dramatic for the pick.  He can be "disappointing", or "not the answer" at this point but "bust" should be reserved for top-10 picks after a single season.  A 37th pick doesn't really become a bust until they completely fade into obscurity as far as I'm concerned.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:42 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

You are being too generous. Mastery may come later, but by the second year if a WR from the first 3 rounds isnt showing more than a modicum of competency, it is highly unlikely he will ever be able to turn it around. 

So it's way too early to call him a bust, got it.  I agree.

The Bills traded picks 44 and 91(2nd and 3rd) with Rams for 37 and 149(2nd and 5th) to draft Jones.  Beane had an excellent first draft with the exception of this move IMO.  Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, JuJu, Cooper Kupp, Davis Webb are just a few players who we could of drafted at 44 without trading up, instead of trading up for Zay

I thought Zay was a safe pick for us.  But so far I concur, Zay is a bust.  Hopefully he proves us wrong

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:31 PM, Heitz said:

Right now, I would say that Jesus Jones is a bust.

:blink: How???

Zay himself said he was ready to fight for a copy of that single.

Edited by #34fan

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hindsight is a great thing. But it only helps if you master time travel. 

I agree about hindsight.  But I believe that history will continually show that it is wiser to trade down then trade up.  Zay provides another example

Just now, Pete said:

I agree about hindsight.  But I believe that history will continually show that it is wiser to trade down then trade up.  Zay provides another example

I don’t know why, but I still believe Zay will turn out fine. Regardless, I agree trading down is better than going up unless you see a Franchise QB. Get the QB, then build around him. 

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Aaron Williams was a bust until they moved him to safety.

Nope. Two years had passed. At that point he was a guy looking like he might be a bust ... but that part of the blame for that might rest on the team for playing him at the wrong position.

You're a bust three to four years down the line. Not before, unless you're out of the league.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Except for trading up for a franchise QB shot, that's correct.

5 hours ago, Success said:

There is no such thing as a bust “right now.”  Picks either bust or they don’t.

This.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

The Bills traded picks 44 and 91(2nd and 3rd) with Rams for 37 and 149(2nd and 5th) to draft Jones.  Beane had an excellent first draft with the exception of this move IMO.  Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, JuJu, Cooper Kupp, Davis Webb are just a few players who we could of drafted at 44 without trading up, instead of trading up for Zay

I thought Zay was a safe pick for us.  But so far I concur, Zay is a bust.  Hopefully he proves us wrong

Beane was a Panther last draft

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

there are PLENTY of examples of good WR's that struggled there first year or 2. give it a rest

Yup. Alshon Jeffery had 367 yards his first year. Some guys don't need time. Plenty do.

Tyrell Williams, Enunwa. Agholor. Amendola and Cooks. Edelman managed a total of 734 his first year. Oh, wait, that was his first four years put together.

You're right. Folks who argue this just don't get it.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Alshon Jeffery had 367 yards his first year. Some guys don't need time. Plenty do.

Tyrell Williams, Enunwa. Agholor. Amendola and Cooks. Edelman managed a total of 734 his first year. Oh, wait, that was his first four years put together.

You're right. Folks who argue this just don't get it.

I will add one more name to that list. Eric Moulds,,,,

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Hindsight is a great thing. But it only helps if you master time travel. 

okay, you are forever held to never ever ever again give an opinion over someone else failing to live up to expectations.

you can't be that much of a **** can you?

24 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I will add one more name to that list. Eric Moulds,,,,

Correct - Only thing I remember from his rookie year was that long catch and fumble where someone maybe caught him from behind? - editing - looked back that was actually his SECOND year...  also this..

Edited by jo39416

17 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Like who for example? Not Woods or Sammy. They were productive out of the chute.

Woods had 40 catches his rookie year, that's not that much more productive than 27, particularly when factoring you have a QB that only threw half his passes to WR

I do think WR is one of the toughest positions for rookies to look good at as regardless of your talents, you have to be in sync with the QB.  Did he drop a number of pass's sure, especially early in the year.  But lets give him a couple more years.