Zay Jones right now is a bust

Foreigner

Bottom line... Zay's route running seems to be well below standards set by quality receivers. He has done poorly with 50 - 50 balls like he did yesterday.  To say he only has only two official drops is crap. I've  seen more than that with my "untrained" fan's eye. Poor hands and poor route running. One can hope the light goes on for him but I'm  not holding my breath. The only thing I can provide in his defense is that Taylor seems to save his most inaccurate throws for Zay in general.

The catches haven’t been coming quite as quickly as a professional. Jones has seven catches through his first six games with the Bills and that number looks even punier when taking into account how often the ball has gone Jones’ way. He’s been targeted 32 times, more than anyone on the Bills other than LeSean McCoy, and his catch rate is the lowest in the league for anyone who has had 20 passes thrown his way.

In a film review of the Bills’ first six games, Mike Rodak of ESPN found that 12 of those 32 passes were not catchable but the remaining numbers still aren’t where they need to be for a starting wideout. That’s led to criticism and Jones isn’t arguing against it.

this is about a month old 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Jesus.   I am standing up for Zay.   yuze guys gots to pay attention  ;)   see above 

2 targets 0 catches.  That does not mean he dropped them.   

Where is the link or site that calls it a "drop"?  I'd be interested to look 

thanks   

NO  Jones has 2 official NON CATCHES,  It does not say DROP  see above 

I need to find the other Zay Jones SUCKs thread to point out that many passes his way were uncatchable and people still called them drops.  

Nearly 25 to 30 % of his targeted throws were not catchable.  You subtract those and Zay's # are actually pretty good for a ROOKIE 

I knew I should have stayed out of this dumb thread .

If you want to say it's way too early to say jones is a bust I'll agree with you.

But it's pretty hard to argue that he has even been competent...

He has been a disappointment so far. I'm not saying he's a bust. But I also expected more from his rookie season and I can almost guarantee you mcd and beane did after trading up to get him in the 2nd round

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Not a bust yet. He just kinda sucks this year.

Probably all that needs to be said at this point in time. To someone else's point, I am not willing to give him 2 full seasons to mature and adjust to the NFL. If he continues to be invisible by half time next season, it will be fair to start using the B word.  

11 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Bottom line... Zay's route running seems to be well below standards set by quality receivers. He has done poorly with 50 - 50 balls like he did yesterday.  To say he only has only two official drops is crap. I've  seen more than that with my "untrained" fan's eye. Poor hands and poor route running. One can hope the light goes on for him but I'm  not holding my breath. The only thing I can provide in his defense is that Taylor seems to save his most inaccurate throws for Zay in general.

Jump balls down the sidelines ???   That is where I have seen Zay do his "worst? 

Funny I thought  he did better when running across the middle and not toss and pray balls by the not as accurate TT.   

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

If you want to say it's way too early to say jones is a bust I'll agree with you.

But it's pretty hard to argue that he has even been competent...

He has been a disappointment so far. I'm not saying he's a bust. But I also expected more from his rookie season and I can almost guarantee you mcd and beane did after trading up to get him in the 2nd round

Well, so has the QB throwing to him.   

We can both be disappointing I guess.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Jump balls down the sidelines ???   That is where I have seen Zay do his "worst? 

Funny I thought  he did better when running across the middle and not toss and pray balls by the not as accurate TT.   

Well, so has the QB throwing to him.   

We can both be disappointing I guess.  

Ya for sure. But we are talking about Zay here

When you just have your own two hands on the ball and can't catch it, no matter what some stat

shows, you know what it is. And do you think Fox, or ESPN is going to chart 1,000 plays a week and

know exactly went on every play. The Bills will give Jones two or three years to work out, and if he

doesn't he will be just another failed draft choice working at Wal Mart. It is hard for McDermott

to admit to a mistake. He didn't admit P was a mistake or B on the hands team because he does

not want to throw any of his players under the bus.. But the fact is Jones up to now has been

bad, and anyone who says different is clearly wrong. 

As for TT, what does he have to do with this. Sure, he makes bad throws, Tom Brady perhaps the 

greatest ever makes bad throws and has INTs also, but you don't hear about it because BB gets rid

of guys that can't catch the ball very well. If TT had Gronk to throw the ball to and McDaniel as his

OC most of the Tyrod haters would disappear. TT is 23-19 as a starter.

If I was in Tibet the past three years without the internet, and came back to Buffalo, I would think TT

must be the 32nd ranked starting QB in the NFL and only completes 30-40% of his passes, with all the

negativity about him.  

14 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Talking about going nowhere, 32,552 posts. Sorry, it is what it is, and if Zay Jones is your favorite

player, good luck.

I said he is a bust NOW after 14 games. Who knows how his Pro career will turn out, but after 14 games

he is not cutting it.

our receivers are hot garbage. Zay's shown potential but I don't think he's helped very much this year at all.

Anybody see Gronk play yesterday? 7 foot giant that can scoop balls from the ground like that? "Oh, oh Tyrod's not throwing perfect passes", give our quarterbacks somebody that doesn't have rocks for hands.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

8 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

When you just have your own two hands on the ball and can't catch it, no matter what some stat

shows, you know what it is. And do you think Fox, or ESPN is going to chart 1,000 plays a week and

know exactly went on every play. The Bills will give Jones two or three years to work out, and if he

doesn't he will be just another failed draft choice working at Wal Mart. It is hard for McDermott

to admit to a mistake. He didn't admit P was a mistake or B on the hands team because he does

not want to throw any of his players under the bus.. But the fact is Jones up to now has been

bad, and anyone who says different is clearly wrong. 

As for TT, what does he have to do with this. Sure, he makes bad throws, Tom Brady perhaps the 

greatest ever makes bad throws and has INTs also, but you don't hear about it because BB gets rid

of guys that can't catch the ball very well. If TT had Gronk to throw the ball to and McDaniel as his

OC most of the Tyrod haters would disappear. TT is 23-19 as a starter.

If I was in Tibet the past three years without the internet, and came back to Buffalo, I would think TT

must be the 32nd ranked starting QB in the NFL and only completes 30-40% of his passes, with all the

negativity about him.  

You are clearly claiming Zay is a bust.  You trade (if you can) or cut busts.

Is that what you want?

Most posters have replied that Zay has been a disappointment and most hope he will grow out of it and become a decent or better receiver.

If you agree that he needs more time to be completely evaluated then you agree with the majority.

I for one, am not sure what your post is saying.

"Pray" He Catches It Jones

"Misplay" Jones  

In "Hands of Stones" defense, I think Eric Moulds got WAY better when Flutie just chucked it up and let him go get it.  

Edited by Badthingsman

Not a good rookie year for such a high pick. But I wouldn't give up on him. He is getting open and based off of what he did in college I wouldn't count him out. I think he might have been forced to shoulder too much of the receiving load too soon. With Matthews, Clay, and now Benjamin being banged up at various points in the season they clearly were counting on Zay a lot and that might have given him a case of the yips. Hopefully, with a season under his belt and another off-season to immerse himself in the system and with his teammates Zay will get back on track in year 2. While there is a lot of reason to be pessimistic there certainly is a reason to think he has a shot to turn it around. 

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...STILL is...showed it AGAIN yesterday.................

REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
Marquise Goodwin 10 114 11.4 0 18 13

But he can't leap 10 feet in the air and catch a ball blindfolded behind his back. He needs a QBthat can put it where he can get it. 

So he's a bust.

10 minutes ago, Luka said:

But he can't leap 10 feet in the air and catch a ball blindfolded behind his back. He needs a QBthat can put it where he can get it. 

So he's a bust.

...one of the classic all time favorites from the "One & Done Gang"......ROOKIE Robey, yup rook got torched in a PRE-SEASON game and was immediately tagged as a "bust"....rook in the pre-season?....go figure....tough crowd........