Steelers vs. Patriots

Real McClappy

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It do move a little, but to me he still has control.

Absolutely horrible call.  Ball was clearly caught and controlled after his knees hit the ground. Anything that happened after that should have been considered a fumble, not an incomplete.  Ball had already crossed the goal line, as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

You can not tell if his fingers are under the ball or not. Should have been a TD as it was called on the field. The proof just isn't there to overturn the on field call.

After watching that numerous times, it sure does look like his hand is under the ball.

The ball clearly hit the ground.   I don't even think there's an argument that it did. 

19 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

The ball clearly hit the ground.   I don't even think there's an argument that it did. 

When? His right hand and at minimum fingers are under the ball the whole time. 

It may have hit the ground but you can't actually see hit the ground, it's just an assumption it hit the ground, therefor call on the field should stand.

Thats a catch at every level of football except NFL.  Was called a non-catch because someone made a rule.  Someone can un-make a rule and should.  The receivers being held to a different standard doesnt make sense.  The reason he bobbled it at the end was because he had control in the first place and made a football move.  If thats a running back, a QB or any other player the play is over once the ball breaks the plane and its a touchdown.  Anyone else notice that not one Patriot argued it not being a catch ?  They'd conceded as anyone with a pair of eyes that isnt a sheep would do. If that play were anywhere else on the field I'm betting hoodie wouldnt even have red-flagged it.  Why does this rule exist in the first place ?  Its hurting the game, just like the touchback rule Carr got screwed on in the late game.

I am not a fan of either team but thats a pointless rule that detracts, not enhances the game.  

To me the point isn't that you can't interret the rule technically to reverse the call. It is that if someone had touched him it would have been a catch and ball inside the 1. Instead he tries to score and the ball moves so now its not a catch. And, its not a fumble because the ground can't cause a fumble.  I don't know about you but that is one hell of a supersede rule. I mean I knew they were emphasizing the passing game but jeez.

The catch reminded me of Bobby Shaw's failed 2pt conversion a while back.  Caught the ball, was in control, but when he was bringing it up to celebrate it got smacked out and called incomplete.   Would have been a conversion if he simply rolled over.

Last night was a catch -  he was in full control of the ball when he caught it, and the only reason for the bobble was that he made a football move to bring the ball across the goal line.  This is the exact opposite of the Seferian Jenkins call (I wonder against which team).  If the ASF call was that he fumbled the ball through the endzone, this should have been a catch and then a fumble recovery in the EZ.

NFL can't have it both ways.

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

You cannot clearly see that the ball hit the ground.  You may be able to infer that it probably did, but it was not clear enough to overturn.  Just another Pats* screw job.  That play should have stayed the way it was called on the field

I bet you 90% of the refs in the league uphold the play. Walt Coleman would have probably

spent 2 seconds looking at that before confirming it, in fact. 

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I bet you 90% of the refs in the league uphold the play. Walt Coleman would have probably

spent 2 seconds looking at that before confirming it, in fact. 

I think that is done centrally now and the Surface thing is a sham.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

And that's why the call was reversed. Bad rule, but called correctly here. The knee being down and crossing the plane have no bearing here. There are plenty of shots we can Google that show the ball out of James' possession.

36 minutes ago, GG said:

The catch reminded me of Bobby Shaw's failed 2pt conversion a while back.  Caught the ball, was in control, but when he was bringing it up to celebrate it got smacked out and called incomplete.   Would have been a conversion if he simply rolled over.

Last night was a catch -  he was in full control of the ball when he caught it, and the only reason for the bobble was that he made a football move to bring the ball across the goal line.  This is the exact opposite of the Seferian Jenkins call (I wonder against which team).  If the ASF call was that he fumbled the ball through the endzone, this should have been a catch and then a fumble recovery in the EZ.

NFL can't have it both ways.

The receiver must control the ball after initial contact with the ground. That's what the rule says. Clearly, James lost control. His left hand was totally off the ball and the ball was resting on the ground. We can argue it's a dumb rule, but it's the rule.

It sucked watching them squeak the win out but in a weird way, I thought I might work in our favor. Probably not but just thinking, if they lost yesterday, no way they are losing 3 straight. Am I saying that means we win this week? No, and we probably get smoked, but whatever the crazy odds may be, the are somehow more likely (in my view) with them coming off a win. Either way, I just hope we make it a game.

7 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

The receiver must control the ball after initial contact with the ground. That's what the rule says. Clearly, James lost control. His left hand was totally off the ball and the ball was resting on the ground. We can argue it's a dumb rule, but it's the rule.

You can't see that. You are assuming that. Can you definitively tell that his right hand and fingers are  not under the ball?