TBD's Approval Rating for Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

BuffaloRush

Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve of Sean McDermott As Bills Head Coach?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I do not approve

9 hours ago, DocLawless said:

Yes but this is how a rebuilding process works. Half of the current offensive personnel are not built for this coordinators offense, especially the most important piece, the QB. I think its tough to judge the offensive numbers this year. I think mcdermott has done alright considering the gutting and turnover of the roster myself.

See, the thing is, McDermott is a large part of the reason for the decisions about which players have been gutted and brought in to replace those who have gone.    So you can't use the gutting as an excuse for him.   That is my only beef with your logic.

Suppose for a minute that no coaching/GM changes had been made - No McDermott - No Beane.   It would then be reasonable to assume the offensive production would be somewhere in the same ballpark as it was last year.    Maybe not as good, but close perhaps.   Or maybe better.   We don't know.

All we know is that (with the changes made on offense - largely decisions made by McDermott) this offense now completely sucks donkey balls.

Yes the defense is considerably better.  He gets credit for that.   And the offense is way, worse.   He gets credit for that too.

Seems like he is pretty good at defensive decisions so far and pretty bad at offensive ones so far.   He gets no pass from me for this piece of crap offense.   If you guys want to pretend that he had zero to do with this piece of smoking dung offense, so be it.   I say he is as much to blame for that as he is to get credit for the improved defense.

So far, average coach at best.   What is average in school these days - a C+  or a B- perhaps.   I give him that.  I am somewhat optimistic about his future as a coach.   I think it will take him years to get there though.   I think he lacks the burning desire to score points at any and every chance in a game.   Don't know if he will ever develop that burning desire either.  I doubt it.   If he had it, he could become great perhaps.

Edited by PolishDave

The Atlanta game was one of the great accomplishes in talent maximation I have seen.  With the fragilness of the roster and especially the QB position totally exposed still managed a few late season wins to keep the team in the playoff hunt mid December.  Could not reasonably ask for more. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He'd do the same thing again if he could.?

That is the fear that I have.   I don't think he knows how low his odds were in that situation.

And I have a suspicion he would make the exact same decision even playing against a team like the Patriots.  That really bothers me about him.

He wants to beat the best teams in the NFL by kicking field goals and punting.     Kind of funny when you think about it that way.

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm admittedly biased... Well not really, biased, I didn't come into his hiring railing against McDermott.

I just don't care for him. Almost everything about him, I dislike. He seems like a good guy, but his demeanor, his coaching history, what he did to the roster, how he comes across as arrogant most of the time in my opinion. Yet he can't own his arrogance, it's always veiled in some form of fake humility. That's just how I read him. So I'm not going to vote. I'll say the team has done better than I thought it would, but the losses, wow, they've been worse than I expected.

His general outlook on how to build a team, I'm undecided. I'm not sure what he believes in offensively, but if it's what we've seen so far, that's unacceptable. I don't like his usage of timeouts, and his use of challenges have been terrible as well. But what else would you expect from a guy coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

I understand your points but I also compare them to to other good head coaches, especially your arrogance comment.  What good head coaches aren't arrogant?  Belicheck, Tomlin, Carroll, Coughlin...you could go back as far as the beginning and most of those guys are arrogant.  Why would a coach come in and continue to say he made poor decisions for every move that was slightly questionable?  Wouldn't that just open the door to make everyone poke holes in his coaching abilities?  I get what you're saying but I think a coach has to have a certain level of arrogance and confidence in his abilities.  If a guy keeps saying he f'd up, I don't think he'd have the respect of his locker room.  I want a guy who believes in what he is doing and coaching with confidence, not a guy who apologies every press conference to keep the fans happy about his character traits.  That's not a winning attitude.  

• Like (+1) 1

In a year that has seen Sean McVay come onto the scene as a rookie HC, McDermott leaves me wanting more. More innovation, more execution, more tenacity. I cannot predict the future, but the present is vanilla. The defence is in good hands. The offence is stale and extremely un-inspiring. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I do understand this. I felt that Rex Ryan represented just about everything I stand against and I was pre-disposed not to like him as a result. 

I still like McDermott. Much more my type of person and my type of coach. I don't like every decision he has made. His insistance on Mike Tolbert as the #2 back is beyond baffling and he has made some in game mistakes (though I would still say way below league average). 

I have questions about how McDermott and Beane have gone about this season and the middling it approach but they still have some capital in this draft to alter the direction of the franchise. That is the challenge they must meet. 

....certainly valid questions GB......I'd give them a combined "B" grade so far......mistakes made AND expected?...of course.......both have been around but NOT in their current positions so only a fool would say no....and the debate about those mistakes is endless.......so the off season, draft & FA will shape opinion as to how they are atoning for those mistakes......staff retention or changes will also tell us something with Dennison & 9 Juan-Juan Castillo being overwhelming "TBD favorites".....stay tuned..........

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Too many variables to answer that question.  Unless you inherit a talented roster, a new coach usually gets three years.

Ya fair enough I'm not saying fire him.

i was just making a point saying just because the Bills have somehow found their way to 7 wins, doesn't mean I'm happy With McDermott. There is a lot more I look for than just wins and losses.

Dick Jauron also overachieved in the win/ loss column with marginal talent and we all know jauron did not end up being successful with the Bills.

Now if he can somehow get the Bills to the playoffs this year, that would be a different story.

I like him a lot...This is only year 1 of probably a 3 year plan.....Year 1---- cut off the fat ......and improve the cap situation......done...Year 2---acquire young talent....with all the picks we have, there's a good chance we'll achieve that...Year 3-----Success.....

For the 1st time in many years,I feel we have a solid plan......

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Isn't it equally fair though that this team is devoid of talent and that's because of him? Everyone says, look at what he did with this roster, and talks about how bad the roster is. The guy made the roster bad. I'm not in to having a guy who cuts salary, keeps promising the future, gets rid of talent, and "over achieves" into an 8-8 season. That's hell. I've seen enough of that, which is why when any coach does things that resemble that, they are on a short leash with me. Which doesn't mean anything, so all you McDermott lovers don't need to take offense to that. I can't fire him, I'm just saying I don't like the style. 

No it's not equally fair because the team isn't void of talent - we just thought it was.  He's taken what looked like a bad roster and has them in the playoff hunt and sometimes playing like one of the best defenses in the league.  You're saying over achieving - I'm saying building his way.  I think it's fair to give him a fair shake to build the roster and the point is he's done that when we thought it was disaster.

How can you not? We have the talent of a 5-6 win team and we have 7 wins with 3 games to play. He has some questionable game management issues that haven't come back to bite him yet. He has areas to be improved but he is getting the most out of his players which is the most important aspect of a HC imo.

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Not that impressed so far. Seems like another conservative defensive HC. 

Ya it's almost impossible to take a team to the promise land with that philosophy. Can't win 17-13 too often in the NFL anymore, with the rules heavily favouring the offence.

He really needs to address his conservative approach in the off season

Edited by billsfan11

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Not that impressed so far. Seems like another conservative defensive HC. Game management is baffling at times. Ducasse and Tolbert are head scratchers. I expected 7 or 8 wins this year.

Don't understand why Ducasse is a head scratcher? He is currently the best RG we have. Unfortunately. 

Tolbert is but seems we are getting Cadet more involved. Cadet is a great pass catcher out of the backfield. He is a perfect Patriots RB.