The 2017 Draft: 1st round Re-do

YoloinOhio

What should the Bills have done in the 1st round?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. The Bills should have done the following in the 1st round:

• The same thing - trade 10 to KC for 2018 1st, and draft Tre White at 27
    • Draft a QB at 10 (i.e. Watson or Mahomes)
    • Trade 10 to KC but take a different player than Tre White at 27
    • Trade UP from 10 and take a QB (i.e. Trubisky)
    • Stay at 10, but take a non-QB (which player?)
    • Other (explain)

Just now, joesixpack said:

ha, considering I wanted OJ Howard at 10, I'm quite pleased with Tre and an additional first.

I was a big fan of oj Howard as well at draft time. Looking back, I liked Watson a lot but I admittedly wasn’t dead set on taking a qb in the 1st last year even though I’m not a big TT advocate. I am this year (dead set on a QB in the 1st). 

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Knowing what you know now... looking back at the 2017 draft, what do you think the Bills should have done in the 1st round?

with hindsignt, I'd grab Watson and voted that way (he looks like a franchise QB).  But, I'm very happy with the way it worked out.  We got a "franchise" CB and a draft pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I was a big fan of oj Howard as well at draft time. Looking back, I liked Watson a lot but I admittedly wasn’t dead set on taking a qb in the 1st last year even though I’m not a big TT advocate. I am this year (dead set on a QB in the 1st). 

Yes, QB is a must in the 1st at any cost.

Just now, NewEra said:

I’m not saying that Watson is for sure a franchise an but from what I’ve seen so far, he looks special.  Not sure one could argue that.  When he’s played, he’s been very good.  It’s a good indicator.  Not always a sure thing, but more often than not when a guy plays he has, they don’t end up sucking.  He was an mvp Candidate for sure.  Possibly the best player in the league during his short stint.  Not many bums do that.  Rg3 was on right there.  Nick Foles had a very good season in a crazy scheme, but didn’t look like Watson imo.  Freeman never looked special to me.  

I love tre.  I’m happy we have him.  I’m even happier that we were able to get an additional 1st AND draft Tre.  I’d rather have Watson.

I think Watson was very special in college and I had him ranked higher than Trubisky because I think he has the IT factor

QBs can come out and lite the world on fire , it happens all the time. You have no NFL film on a guy and you don't know how to defend him correctly 

Watson is a special leader and has great attributes. 

But he still has a very reckless play style which he needs to work on

he still had 11 turnovers in 7 games. He can be great but that doesn't mean it would work in buffalo. It might but his stats would not translate over 100%

we don't have the Texans defense or offense

we have shady

It's funny to me how many on this board are now Watson fans. Many of the so called experts didn't think he had the mentality or accuracy to be a "franchise" QB, let alone a 1st rder in the NFL. That being said, there are maybe 3 QBs in college that are Watson like in terms of talent, leadership and moxie.  Hopefully the Bills will target one of them.

I said keep things the same, but if Watson hadn't gotten hurt, I probably would've said to pick him.  He was great for like a 4-5 game stretch, but might lose a lot of athleticism once he comes back, plus you can't be sure he would've kept up that performance.  RG3 had the best rookie season of any QB ever, but that doesn't mean much now.  

If the Bills offered Tre White and KC's #1 next year for Watson, any chance Houston would take that deal?  No, and I wouldn't blame them.  But I also wouldn't kill the Bills for turning it down on their end.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The problem with that thinking (as I see it) is now you are roped into picking a QB you may not like at all, given the position in the draft. I'm not sure ANY of the QBs coming out this year are worth a high 1st round pick. I mean they might be, but they all have their share of issues, IMO. What I don't understand is passing on a "close to a sure thing" QB, when you need one. Do you think there is anyone like that, this year? Picking the wrong QB in the 1st round is definately worse than finding a great talent in another area of need, IMO.

18 minutes ago, The Dean said:

The problem with that thinking (as I see it) is now you are roped into picking a QB you may not like at all, given the position in the draft. I'm not sure ANY of the QBs coming out this year are worth a high 1st round pick. I mean they might be, but they all have their share of issues, IMO. What I don't understand is passing on a "close to a sure thing" QB, when you need one. Do you think there is anyone like that, this year? Picking the wrong QB in the 1st round is definately worse than finding a great talent in another area of need, IMO.

I think Rosen is a better prospect but durability is a concern