Do you feed the birds?

mead107

Nope. All our birdfeeders are for decoration only and have a screen covering the opening. We do get hummingbirds in the summer though, they like the flowers. Does that count? :P

Not only will I not feed the geese, if it were legal to shoot them in our town, I'd become a marksman.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In my case ... it took one to accuse one.    What else are binocs for when living in  or near an apartment complex?  

When a hot chick strolls in front of the wide open windows naked  (every weekend) ...  who wouldn't look?  

We would sit on the stairs outside my apartment door and the only view we had was the window across the way.  

My neighbors and I would have fun adding "commentary"   

She walks in naked, boyfriend / hubby watching March Madness,  she says a few things to him then she picks up her  medium size dog and leaves he room.

Dog gets lucky, hubby gets the dog house. 

I had a decent collection of binocs for college football games, we had tickets in the corner at Michigan.  When they went through my car at customs a few years ago they found 4 pair in trunk and accepted my explanation.

I crossed over to the US a few years ago in a car for which routine inspection found 4 hatchets and other "semi-weapons".  When asked about it, the owner and driver flashed his badge (he is a narc) and off we went on our merry way...

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Nope. All our birdfeeders are for decoration only and have a screen covering the opening. We do get hummingbirds in the summer though, they like the flowers. Does that count? :P

Not only will I not feed the geese, if it were legal to shoot them in our town, I'd become a marksman.

we have at minimum 2 Hummingbird feeders just outside our windows 

So in my book, yes beautiful to watch 

perky-pet-clear-antique-bottle-glass-hummingbird-feeder.jpg   9529ea26e69bc2dcf56d23941462e6aa.1500

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

This just in from our yard... Wish I had better camera out... dSLR w/zoom. Pic does absolutely no justice... Also had to compress it on down to get under site limit. Oh well, the affect is in the poetry....

"Red bird came all winter firing up the landscape as nothing else could."

Red Bird ~Mary Oliver

Red bird came all winter

Firing up the landscape

As nothing else could.

Of course I love the sparrows,

Those dun-colored darlings,

So hungry and so many.

I am a God-fearing feeder of birds,

I know he has many children,

Not all of them bold in spirit.

Still, for whatever reason-

Perhaps because the winter is so long

And the sky so black-blue,

Or perhaps because the heart narrows

As often as it opens-

I am grateful

That red bird comes all winter

Firing up the landscape

As nothing else can do.

20171207_161243.thumb.jpg.009cdac05c0b773d6083a7f67ae1c623.jpg

I am also into feeding birds.  One pole with 4 spokes on it with multiple feeders on each spoke, and a window feeder on the kitchen window for the finches and nuthatches.   The window feeder gets sunflower hearts and the feeders on the pole get sunflower hearts and black oil sunflower seeds.  

Here is a feeder in Ontario that gets a good mix of birds.  Would not have thought they get such a mix in the winter.  Nice to see the Grosbeeks.

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/38/Ontario_FeederWatch/#_ga=2.233530718.1927424736.1510238719-2071302637.1492465572

On 12/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, Boyst62 said:

Yes. Hummingbird feeders attract more of my bees and only words but there are plenty of hummingbirds. And I shoot any squirrel I see

One year (out of 9) I had bee problems with the hummingbird feeders.  It was an isolated incident.  Love to see hummingbirds and I run two feeders each summer.

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have a real aversion to birds— mostly pigeons and geese. They disgust me. Nice, colorful birds are okay but can

keep their distance.

Mike Tyson will eat your children.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:56 PM, Limeaid said:

We have birds, squirrels (squirrel cannot get into feeder but sometimes will lay on top and stick paw into it) and a very busy chipmunk.

The chipmunk goes into the feeder and eats while pushing more seed out.

The bigger birds like doves eat the leftovers from ground along with squirrels while they behave.

This is the 5th birdfeeder type we have had and only one effective against the squirrels.

I miss the bigger birds feeding from feeder but we needed to find way to keep squirrels outs out and evidently hooking bird feeder to electrical circuit and frying them is illegal; my wife tried using an air gun on them but they learned to ignore it.

This is a good home made squirrel baffle.  One good thing about it is if you use a bought pole or shepherds hook with a fork at the bottom, you can use this design to wrap around the pole before you close it.

Stopped the squirrels but one issue I had is the small opening at the top of the baffle was just the right size for chipmunks.  Had to duct tape the holes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

This is a good home made squirrel baffle.  One good thing about it is if you use a bought pole or shepherds hook with a fork at the bottom, you can use this design to wrap around the pole before you close it.

Stopped the squirrels but one issue I had is the small opening at the top of the baffle was just the right size for chipmunks.  Had to duct tape the holes.

Or you can buy one of these...

Feed, I think I support the bird life of the area. We have Ringed parrots, King parrot, Cockatoos, galahs, occasional Kookaburra’s, Grey Butcher bird and we have 3 magpies that appear at breakfast, will sing for breakfast scraps too. Also the possum gets fruit scraps at nite. The Tawny Frogmouths don’t need feeding but sit in our tree. Our old dogs keep the cats away and I think the birds have figured the dogs are old.

15 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Feed, I think I support the bird life of the area. We have Ringed parrots, King parrot, Cockatoos, galahs, occasional Kookaburra’s, Grey Butcher bird and we have 3 magpies that appear at breakfast, will sing for breakfast scraps too. Also the possum gets fruit scraps at nite. The Tawny Frogmouths don’t need feeding but sit in our tree. Our old dogs keep the cats away and I think the birds have figured the dogs are old.

We have wild monk parakeets here... But it's 20° F out, they are hunkering down in their cocoons in the oak trees.  They like the pods from the locust trees... Noisy, nasty little squawkers, always fighting w/each other.

220px-MonkParakeetsSantaPonsa.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We have wild monk parakeets here... But it's 20° F out, they are hunkering down in their cocoons in the oak trees.  They like the pods from the locust trees... Noisy, nasty little squawkers, always fighting w/each other.

220px-MonkParakeetsSantaPonsa.jpg

Ringed parrots much the same, squawkers too. There’s a definite pecking order and often they can be seen pairing up. Have 2 feeders, try to minimise the fighting! Come on, it’s free bird food, ease up. Pigeons sit back, wait ‘til they fight each other off. We back onto a park with a creek. I’ve got a chair out on the lawn and to down time sit out there, watch the birds, the old dogs will come and sit and the kids come and play around. My daughter calls it ‘day watching’, I’m sure at my most relaxed there. 

On 06/12/2017 at 1:28 PM, westside said:

The real question EII, do you feed the carp?

We took over a house that the ol’ folk couldn’t keep up the garden, including a pond. It was filthy. My son and I drained it and found 13 fish. All light bronze gold fish. And a sad Lilly. The water was mud soup. Cleaned it. Added clean water from rain water tank, set up an overflow so that the pond water watered the ferns. Well the fish got their colour back, the Lilly flowers and the ferns are going crazy.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Winter RedBird came back to our yard today and landed on the head of St.Francis!

Cellphone camera sucks at that distance.

WinterRedBird_12092017.jpg

A little grainy but still a nice pic there.

14 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I had this same thing on a different post on the other side of the house, worked just fine (no chipmunks here). Made it out of a roll of sheet metal left over from work.  Other than this, the best way I've found to keep the squirrels out of the feeders is to buy cheap cayenne pepper and mix it in liberally with the seed. Doesn't affect birds but sends any mammals heading to the nearest waterhole... after a couple of tastes they give up.