Do you feed the birds?

mead107

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What a nutty thing to do. 

Actually it is nutty to call peanuts nuts.

tenor.gif?itemid=5490579

On 2/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras

I heard from Kevin Peter Hall himself that is a phony picture since Harry is a vegetarian.

Did love the owls pictures though.

• Haha (+1) 1

Was outside today shoveling snow... Watching the iggles play near the open water below the dam where it is ice free 

Shot this today @ The Lock... Whipped out the DSLR using a 150-500mm lens w/2x teleconverter.

This Bald eagle looks like a Junkers "Stuka" Ju87 :D:

20180212_123057.thumb.jpg.0e2fc4539941148411ee9e9642ac79bb.jpg

I gotta process this SDcard, got a ton of good pix!!!... Gonna send some into our District HQ in Rock Island... Hopefully the shots make out District's monthly newsletter... USACE "Tower Times"

Would be gr8 to get one dive bombing a fish... Of course Asian carp! The District would love that!!! <_< Maybe behind a towboat kicking up some wheel wash... And accidentally dropping that fish on OTHER SIDE of the dam (Lake Michigan pool)... Gee, like that can't happen... No way!!! ;)

• 1 month later...

I shot this peckerhead in backyard on 3/13 after the last real snow of season... Well I hope last real snow:

20180314_044817.thumb.jpg.5419bfdf9f38d40e55e0ff9fca332fc1.jpg

Highly compressed for this site. Red breasted woodpecker?

300mm, f6.3, ISO 400, @ 1/400... No flash through glass, backyard doors.

That's as close & as fast as my cheapo cropped zoom will go on my new full frame K-1.  New 1.7x teleconverter is being shipped from Japan as we speak. That will turn my old fast manual lens (from film days) into auto focus too.

These two love birds have been having a domestic all morning.  He knocked her up and she is on the nest (on lock eyewall up there)... And man is she on the rag... Nagging him all morning!

"You go sit on nest to keep it warm!"

Quite the happy Millennial goose couple!  Knocking the parenting skills out of the park even before the hatch!

Same couple last year? Same nest location.  Those eggs ended up duds... Abandoned...

20180320_073358.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, mead107 said:

Time to take the feeders off the deck. 

Compassionate Conservative at work! 

Tough love baby!

Warm weather is here... Kick them off the dole... Time to produce!

One Spring Nor'easter away & those flying rats hit the welfare line. You just evaporated 50% of their economy.

Don't You have any compassion?  Get them an EBT card.  Freeloaders of the sky!

mead... Making the skies great again!

;):D

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Compassionate Conservative at work! 

Tough love baby!

Warm weather is here... Kick them off the dole... Time to produce!

One Spring Nor'easter away & those flying rats hit the welfare line. You just evaporated 50% of their economy.

Don't You have any compassion?  Get them an EBT card.  Freeloaders of the sky!

mead... Making the skies great again!

;):D

Time to take the feeders out of the front garden and move it to the far corner of the yard 

I know its still early but the hummingbird feeders go next to the house 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

• 1 month later...

It's early May and the orange slices go out.  The Baltimore oriole always come in earlt May... To the apple blossoms on apple tree.  A little this early.  But, the oriole came back around for first time today:

Thru glass...

300mm @ f6.3, 1/400, ISO 800 [cropped bird only]

20180510_183130.jpg

300mm @ f8.0, 1/400, ISO 1600 [cropped bird on feeder]

Need to get to about 1200mm, but lens not in budget just yet.

20180510_183842.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Almost "hummingbird-esque"

20180510_183024.jpg

I saw a hummingbird at the bird feeders Sunday, so I put the hummingbird feeders up Tuesday.   I have seen at least two different ones.  One is a Ruby Throated, the other I don't know what it is.  It is grey (no relation) with a white band around its neck.   BTW if you don't happen to know, hummingbirds will come back for years looking for feeders they previously fed on.   I assume that was what the bird was doing on Sunday.

Do your Orioles stay?  I have seen one at my feeders once each year.  Then nothing.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I saw a hummingbird at the bird feeders Sunday, so I put the hummingbird feeders up Tuesday.   I have seen at least two different ones.  One is a Ruby Throated, the other I don't know what it is.  It is grey (no relation) with a white band around its neck.   BTW if you don't happen to know, hummingbirds will come back for years looking for feeders they previously fed on.   I assume that was what the bird was doing on Sunday.

Do your Orioles stay?  I have seen one at my feeders once each year.  Then nothing.

Not sure if they stay.  Wife played what they sound like... Totally heard them this morning.  I will focus on that.

Saw a hummingbird bird close on deck @ dusk last night @ quince bush.  But not fast enough to get cam. :(

We have noticed last three to four years orioles arrive around early May... Like 1st - 10th.  This year was late.

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I texted my wife this.  She texted back:

"The oriole is very fleeting--passes through town during a few days in May when apple blossoms are new before they look like dirty feather dusters. He has been back each May for 5 years now that I know..."

If Mike In Horseheads is following, your Baltimore Orioles are fleeting!  June swooners.  ;);)

Anyway, I guess they don't stick around.