Do you take Lamar Jackson?

Bakin

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

The mistake that a team that selects him can't make is follow the Robert Griffin III roadmap. RG III needed time to get stronger and learn how to play the pro game. Shanahan told the headstrong owner who was insistent on drafting him and mortgaging the future with lost picks that RG III was a talent but needed years to transition to the pro game. The worst thing that happened was that RG III had early success. He then went into his diva act that precluded him from learning how to play the pro game. I'm not suggesting that Griffin wasn't a worker because he was. But he was headstrong when  it came to learning how to play the position. In hindsight Shanahan was right on Griffin and remarkably was right on Cousins who he actually preferred. 

What I like about Jackson in comparison to Griffin is that he appears to have the vision and see plays develop that Griffin couldn't comprehend. It's not completely there yet but although it is still rudimentary you can see that the potential to develop into a more polished game. From everything I have heard about Lamar he is a good kid and a worker. Griffin was too concerned about being a personality while Jackson seems genuinely interested in the game. Again, I like him a lot but one has to be aware that he is a future investment without an immediate return.  

The bolded was supposedly what happened to Kaepernick as well.  Early success led to him not developing his game.  Then the league figured him out and he didn't/couldn't adapt.

49 minutes ago, section122 said:

The bolded was supposedly what happened to Kaepernick as well.  Early success led to him not developing his game.  Then the league figured him out and he didn't/couldn't adapt.

Especially for qbs if you don't grow as a player you will not survive. As time went on both players accentuated what they did well while not improving on what they didn't do well. That was a big mistake. Kaepernick befuddled me in that he always threw a fastball without any demonstration of being able to throw with touch. He was a thrower and not a passer. RG III was different in that he was more of a passer. However, the fatal flaw that both players had was that neither had the vision and the ability to go through progressions. A fatal flaw that Tyrod also has.  

Both Kaepernick and RG III are super smart individuals. Kaepernick could have gone to an Ivy league school, and Stanford aggressively pursued him. But being smart doesn't necessarily mean that you can process the game and read defenses. In my view you either have it or you don't. At the qb position you can have all the physical talent in the world but if you don't have that processing trait you will not succeed. 

8 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Why not?? He's made plays from the pocket, hasn't he?

I’m not a huge follower of Jackson so I’m not an expert.  What I’ve read about his negatives are he has developed into a better passer but still struggles with consistency from the pocket.  Major question marks on whether or not he can do it at the pro level.

On January 17, 2018 at 9:30 AM, Like A Mofo said:

I have not studied Lamar Jackson a LOT, have watched a few games and he is a very exciting college QB.

Having said this, my 2 reasons why I would rather pass:

1. Accuracy: You have to be accurate in today's NFL, and I do not see that from Lamar.

2. Louisville QB's: Always leery of QB's from a Bobby Petrino offense.

Like Teddy Bridgewater?

he's an extremely talented athlete.  teams will sleep on him like they did to a lesser extent Deshaun Watson.  he certainly isn't going to wow anyone during the interview process so he could drop.  if he doesn't go in the 1st round he is a steal.  he's going to at least be a low level starter in the NFL based on his athleticism alone.  he's at the very least a taller version of Tyrod and I think a better passer with at least equal scrambling ability.  if you blitz him he's going to break free and make big plays.  if you sit back you better have a spy on him at all times.  a team like the Jets can and have done much worse.  Arizona Cardinals don't even have a QB so how can they pass on him?  i still worry about his longevity.  mobile QB's don't last very long in the NFL, especially ones like him with toothpick legs

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

he's an extremely talented athlete.  teams will sleep on him like they did to a lesser extent Deshaun Watson.  he certainly isn't going to wow anyone during the interview process so he could drop.  if he doesn't go in the 1st round he is a steal.  he's going to at least be a low level starter in the NFL based on his athleticism alone.  he's at the very least a taller version of Tyrod and I think a better passer with at least equal scrambling ability.  if you blitz him he's going to break free and make big plays.  if you sit back you better have a spy on him at all times.  a team like the Jets can and have done much worse.  Arizona Cardinals don't even have a QB so how can they pass on him?  i still worry about his longevity.  mobile QB's don't last very long in the NFL, especially ones like him with toothpick legs

Why are you so certain he won’t impress in interviews?

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Still not sold, but the play action around the 1:10 mark is beautiful.  

Looked like he short armed the second pass in the sequence, but the ball got there.

He has a cannon and a bit of a flick for a delivery. Thought that it was a good video though. It certainly shows that he can play from the pocket.

48 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He has a cannon and a bit of a flick for a delivery. Thought that it was a good video though. It certainly shows that he can play from the pocket.

In this year's draft the Bills have a variety of options to take with respect to the qb position. I would be more than happy with us staying put and taking DT Harrison Phillips from Stanford and Lamar Jackson with our two first  round picks. There is simply no excuse for us not to come away with a good qb prospect in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I rarely criticize a player who decides to come out early because it is an individual's decision. From what I saw two years ago in his Heisman year to what I have seen this year he made a quantum leap from being a dynamic athletic qb to being a more well  rounded qb with the associated pocket presence and a more refined passing talent. What is noticeable this year is that even when he is moving around the pocket or rolling out his eyes are focused downfield. (That was very evident in the clip.)

In the ideal developmental situation he could have used another year of Petrino's coaching.  The coach is a first class slime ball and scoundrel but he knows how to coach an offense and qb. Without a doubt there are more polished prospects in this draft class but there is no qb, or player for that matter, who is as dynamic as he is. I would love to have him. 

I honestly would take him in the third. I don't think he is a fit for what McDermott wants to do on offence. I would rather have Rudolph or Mike White. 

You would need to have an Offensive coordinator that integrates the QB run into the offence and a backup QB that can run well. I would personally leave him in a college type system, he is going to be set up to fail in a pro-style offence. 

I do think Jackson can have success in the NFL, has to be the right fit though. 

Edited by billspro

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

No I probably wouldn't, because I'd rather go D line, O line or LB in the 1st and take Mike White or Kyle Lauletta on day 2. I think both of those have the potential to be very good starters, but are more traditional so don't get hype like Jackson

If either Mike White or Lauletta go on the second day I’ll eat my shoe. On TBD, we fans always undervalue truly good prospects (saying we can’t afford to move up for them) and being willing to throw away early picks for mediocre QBs that will be there in the 5th. People literally said the same thing about Peterman going in the second round last year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.