Do you take Lamar Jackson?

Bakin

Without the Bills trading up, it looks like Rosen or Darnold are out of the picture. 

Which leaves Heisman winner Lamar Jackson as a possibility in the middle of the 1st. 

While he's not my first choice - Kid seems like a gamer to me. 

Anyone hesitant to give him a shot?

30 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Without the Bills trading up, it looks like Rosen or Darnold are out of the picture. 

Which leaves Heisman winner Lamar Jackson as a possibility in the middle of the 1st. 

While he's not my first choice - Kid seems like a gamer to me. 

Anyone hesitant to give him a shot?

Is this year's Heisman winner still available in your scenario?

Just now, Bakin said:

I assume you mean Baker?

assume yes that he's available. 

Do you take Baker over Lamar?

I do. Personally I love his "fire" even though it has gotten him into some difficult spots. I see zero percent chance (ok, 5% is realistic) that he ruins his NFL chances through mistakes made off the field.  He will, IMO, mature. I'll take that competitiveness and try to rein it in a bit vs taking JAG with similar talent.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm resistant as he doesn't have the best of completion percentages, I know it's one stat but it worries me that he's another great college athletic QB and not a pure passer which is what you need to maintain long term success in the NFL. 

Completion percentages in college are very sketchy. They include so many pitches and dump offs. They don’t take into account what a QB is and isn’t asked to do within a given scheme. I don’t even look at them, personally. Jackson runs a pro style offense, not an option based or spread  offense ( though it’s a diverse offense that incorporates some elements of the spread) and that’s a huge difference. Secondly, you really need to take a look at how many drops his WRs have this year. It’s incredible.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Completion percentages in college are very sketchy. They include so many pitches and dump offs. They don’t take into account what a QB is and isn’t asked to do within a given scheme. I don’t even look at them, personally. Jackson runs a pro style offense, not an option based or spread  offense ( though it’s a diverse offense that incorporates some elements of the spread) and that’s a huge difference. Secondly, you really need to take a look at how many drops his WRs have this year. It’s incredible.

Exactly Yolo!! I think PFF has an adjusted completion % based on drops by his receivers. Everything about Jackson's game improved from his Heisman winning season with the exception of total TDs and that could've been due to the drops. Lamar is a DYNAMIC talent at the QB position and I would be ecstatic if he landed with the Bills. I also haven't heard of any "off the field" issues about him.

• Like (+1) 1

Was cold on Jackson at the start of the year but as the year went on I think he improved as a passer.   Wouldnt trade up for him, but if he falls to the middle of the 1st round and Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph and Mayfield are all gone I'd be ok with it.   I still worry he is too much like our current quarterback but his height is an immediate advantage in comparison with Tyrod.

Edited by thenorthremembers

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I do. Personally I love his "fire" even though it has gotten him into some difficult spots. I see zero percent chance (ok, 5% is realistic) that he ruins his NFL chances through mistakes made off the field.  He will, IMO, mature. I'll take that competitiveness and try to rein it in a bit vs taking JAG with similar talent.

He’s the kind of guy most people will like if he’s “your jerk”, but hate him if he’s on the other side. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yet he's been compared to Michael Vick which to me is not a good thing, as Vick (like Tyrod) was a great athlete but a below average QB when it comes to passing the ball. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Yet he's been compared to Michael Vick which to me is not a good thing, as Vick (like Tyrod) was a great athlete but a below average QB when it comes to passing the ball. 

Hmmm not a good comparison but he is fast. The comparison I have seen is Marcus Mariota. 

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't really narrowed down my college QB interests yet.  I'm going to be watching the off season draft prep process with a lot of interest though.  I suspect Rosen and Darnold are the least likely to drop to the point where Buffalo would have a shot without a trade up.  If Cleveland drafts another QB and the Giants want a shiny new QB, the Bills might not even have a shot with a trade up.  There might be a whole bunch of possible first round QBs taken, however, and the Bills will have a shot at several of them.

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hmmm not a good comparison but he is fast. The comparison I have seen is Marcus Mariota. 

Not sure I like the Mariota comparison either.  Mariota was a better passer coming out, won more of his games and used his feet less.  I think the best comparison I can think of for Jackson right now is probably Colin Kaepernick.   I think he is more dynamic than Kaep, but I dont think he is the player Mariota was coming out of Oregon.

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Jackson is much different than Vick on a variety of fronts. Without a doubt both are similar in that they are great athletes and have big arms. But Jackson is more than an athlete. He is an exceptional athlete who wants to be an exceptional qb. While Vick relied on his athleticism he didn't work hard on being a qb. That's not how Jackson is going about his business. He made a major leap in playing the position from his first year to his second year. Petrino is one of the best offensive coaches in the game and he has a very receptive student in Jackson. With Jackson there is still a lot of potential to develop. He may be more of a developmental qb than the top three qb prospects but there is a lot of potential in his game to make it worthwhile to invest in him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.