8-8 or 9-7 is pretty impressive.

Rigotz

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Exactly.   They gutted the roster.  So now we should think its good that they got their hand picked, lesser talented guys to perform as well as last year?

"We're building a team, not collecting talent."

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, but only a Bills fan beaten down by 18 years if ineptitude would say something like this.

8-8/9-7 is pathetic. Either make the playoffs or get a Top 3 pick in the draft. Anything in between is just a waste of all our time, money, and energy.

Not really what the topic is.  Point is McD can coach.

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry, but only a Bills fan beaten down by 18 years if ineptitude would say something like this.

8-8/9-7 is pathetic. Either make the playoffs or get a Top 3 pick in the draft. Anything in between is just a waste of all our time, money, and energy.

Since some like to refer to McD as Jauron Jr., I'm rooting for 7-9.  Beat the Colts in this next game, then lose the last three. With all the 6-6 and 5-7 teams currently, that could move them up a few spots in the draft.

If Darnold and Rosen are in the draft, and snagged by Cleveland, Jets, Giants, etc., a Baker Mayfield could be available around the 12th pick.

1 hour ago, paulbills said:

lol, only in buffalo is 9-7 "impressive", truly sad. I wonder what 9-7 is to the pats at this point? That's a bad season for them, when is the last time they've been 9-7 or worse? 2002? 

Well at least you have the CFL.  Why are you trolling a Bills board?  Jelly that your boy Bon Jovi did not get the team?

Seems like a lot of you are missing the point and just want someone to scream at.

Nobody is saying going 8-8 is ideal. We all want a top 3 pick.

That title and meaning of the post is that it is impressive what our staff has done, given a lack of talent.

Listen to some happy music and cheer up, emo kids.

5 hours ago, teef said:

to be clear, winning 8/9 games isn't a good thing.  as mentioned it really was the worst case scenario, but i'm just surprised it happened. (if it happens)

Doh!  Someone still in on the draft position myth!

Winning football games is good.  Having a bad year has its hidden benefits, but I would much rather draft like the Ravens or Bengals than draft like the Browns.  My ultimate goal is to draft like the Patriots/Seahawks/Steelers.

Winning nine games is GREAT and great for this team and its short term future.  "trust the process" through 76ers like garbage seasons is harder than "we are actually a decent football team on the cusp".

Anybody who thinks the 17 year drought is because we didn't get bad enough first doesn't understand the modern NFL.  The 17 year drought is because we didn't get good enough and never managed to build off an upswing.  Looking to next year, coming off a 9-7 season that is a couple Ravens losses (Steelers and Bengals?) away from being good enough for the playoffs, having tons of draft picks, and entering the second year of a regime that has built trust and excitement in the locker room and schemes more familiar, is the best place to be.

4-12 would have been the disaster for the next three years, and while we could live with it and survive it, 9 wins is just better.

11 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Seems like a lot of you are missing the point and just want someone to scream at.

That title and meaning of the post is that it is impressive what our staff has done, given a lack of talent.

Nothing about 8-8 is impressive, especially when it was them that created the lack of talent.

I'd be impressed with the coaching if West Seneca West went 8-8 in the NFL this year. Not the Bills.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

You know, I think what some people are hinting at....is that you can't give away a lot of talent, and then look for the kudos for "what tour staff (has) done, given a lack of talent".

10 hours ago, Rigotz said:

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Last year, we went 7-9.

In the off-season and during 2017, we lost:

-Our three best wide receivers

-Our two best corners

-Our pro-bowl DT

-Two starting linebackers

We gained:

-An unheralded FS and SS (Hyde and Poyer)

-An unheralded CB (Gaines)

-A better kicker (Haushka)

-A great WR for one game (Benjamin) and throw-in (Matthews)

Most of us thought it would be a 4-12 season.

To take that many personnel losses and IMPROVE to 8-8 or 9-7 with a significantly worse roster...

To me, that's impressive.

Not just our two best corners, didn't we lose the entire starting secondary?

For the team who people thought were in a complete rebuild - it is kind of impressive. 

For the team who people thought TT would improve ....  Only the hard core's are impressed.  

There were 2 or 3 things I wanted to see improve with TT.  He did make some progress and I was starting to believe, then he regressed.  

4 weeks left to impress me.   :beer: to a happier ending. 

20 hours ago, Rigotz said:

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

Last year, we went 7-9.

In the off-season and during 2017, we lost:

-Our three best wide receivers

-Our two best corners

-Our pro-bowl DT

-Two starting linebackers

We gained:

-An unheralded FS and SS (Hyde and Poyer)

-An unheralded CB (Gaines)

-A better kicker (Haushka)

-A great WR for one game (Benjamin) and throw-in (Matthews)

Most of us thought it would be a 4-12 season.

To take that many personnel losses and IMPROVE to 8-8 or 9-7 with a significantly worse roster...

To me, that's impressive.

It's Jauronball 2.0.  Replace most talented players with JAGs, career STers, and PS refugees and pretend they're "just as good" because they "buy into The Process" while adding 1 big name "star" to con fans into filling the stadium ... rinse and then repeat ... ad nauseaum.

8-8ish was the worst possible outcome. 4-12 would have been rough, but at least you don't have to trade up to get your QB and you can fill the various holes to become a real contender. Now we probably lose a few picks to get our guy and pray we land some late round/no name FA gems to fill holes.

13 hours ago, Koufax said:

Doh!  Someone still in on the draft position myth!

Winning football games is good.  Having a bad year has its hidden benefits, but I would much rather draft like the Ravens or Bengals than draft like the Browns.  My ultimate goal is to draft like the Patriots/Seahawks/Steelers.

Winning nine games is GREAT and great for this team and its short term future.  "trust the process" through 76ers like garbage seasons is harder than "we are actually a decent football team on the cusp".

Anybody who thinks the 17 year drought is because we didn't get bad enough first doesn't understand the modern NFL.  The 17 year drought is because we didn't get good enough and never managed to build off an upswing.  Looking to next year, coming off a 9-7 season that is a couple Ravens losses (Steelers and Bengals?) away from being good enough for the playoffs, having tons of draft picks, and entering the second year of a regime that has built trust and excitement in the locker room and schemes more familiar, is the best place to be.

4-12 would have been the disaster for the next three years, and while we could live with it and survive it, 9 wins is just better.

drafting higher definitely helps, but i agree with you.  it's not where you pick but who you pick.  that being said, i think this year is does matter much more where you pick, especially if the goal is to trade up in one of top positions.  

23 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It's Jauronball 2.0.  Replace most talented players with JAGs, career STers, and PS refugees and pretend they're "just as good" because they "buy into The Process" while adding 1 big name "star" to con fans into filling the stadium ... rinse and then repeat ... ad nauseaum.

i don't know why people are being so dense about this.  people keep saying we've "replaced" players, when that hasn't been done yet.  this year was a purge year, and the build up begins this off season.  

21 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know why people are being so dense about this.  people keep saying we've "replaced" players, when that hasn't been done yet.  this year was a purge year, and the build up begins this off season.  

Yeah the whole thing about Jauronball is it was still being played in year 6. This is year 1. Won’t have a good evaluation of the rebuild until year 3. Next year we should see progress though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah the whole thing about Jauronball is it was still being played in year 6. This is year 1. Won’t have a good evaluation of the rebuild until year 3. Next year we should see progress though.

or we should at least see what direction this team wants to take this team in.  to me this year is just a throw away.  once they get their qb and a young core, i think we'll have a much better idea.  i'm not saying, or am convinced this will work, but to act like this team is some finished product that the staff wanted is just simple.

• Like (+1) 2