A Few Thoughts about the Patriots Game

Virgil

I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would as the outcome was to be expected.  I also got a fun re-fill of anger towards my most hated team in sports, so there's that....

1 - Dennison - When you only score 3 points, it's hard to talk about any other reason why we lost.  In this game, we got to see a full quarter of Peterman for the 2nd time and not against prevent.  Tyrod and Peterman play very different games.  Both had some good throws, both had some bad.  However, I feel more and more confident after this game that Dennison is our biggest problem on offense.  Last year, we averaged 24 ppg with the same players roughly (WR swaps).  Even the comentators commented on the uninspired play calls and Romo's been fairly spot on this season.  Empty sets on 4th and goal for a toss up, dump offs on 4th and 15, just overall terrible overall play calling.  I was inspired when he was hired and think he needs to be gone.  I'm not saying that this gives TT or Peterman a pass, but this game was brutal for him.

2 - Quarterbacks - Both had good throws and bad.  TT's interception was on him, whether he got hit or not.  The throw was very unlike him and to me, symbolized how much he was pressing this game.  He had another 19 yard sack that he needed to throw away.  Between that, and playing through his injury, I really do admire how much this guy fights for his job and team when the leadership has failed him.  Either way, TT is probably done as a Bill.  I don't know if he starts again as we are pretty much eliminated at this point.  I hate to see him go out this way, but the quarterback gets all the glory and all the blame.

Peterman had another rookie throw, which should've been intercepted.  However, he had at least 3 drops on good throws and one drop on a high one.  He showed a good release time as well as some zip.  I'm on board with letting him start the final 4 and hopefully he shows us some flashes for competition with our guy next year.

3 - Penalties - Until the last few drives, I was impressed that we had less flags thrown against us than the Pats.  With that being said....

The offsetting penalty rules need to be adjusted.  The hit that Gronk put on White was an abomination.  I used to hate/respect the man, but that's gone now.  He's an ape, nothing more.  The fact that anything we did after that hit could offset his act makes me sick.  I don't care what Hughes said to the ref and it was a joke to miss the back and forth on the other side of the field.  This was the Pats that I've grown to hate.....

4 - !@#$ the Pats - This game reminded me how much I hate this team.  Seeing Brady yell at McDaniels on the sidelines, Brady throwing when up 20, Gronk's hit.  I posted earlier this week asking if the Pats would pull any bush-league moves and that's just what they did.  I can respect great play, but Brady, the Hoodie, and now Gronk can all go !@#$ themselves moreso than ever.

5 - Thanks, that was fun
Don't forget, no regrets
Except maybe one
Made a deal not to feel
God, that's dumb

6 - Defensive Coverage - This was probably one of the better defensive coverage games against the Pats I can remember seeing in a while.  All of the sacks against Brady were coverage sacks and Brady was visibly frustrated.  Hyde did a good job against Gronk (besides the all out blitz where we didn't cover him at all?!?)and no other wide receiver had their name called (yes, I know their starting 2 were hurt)  Either way, our 9-3 halftime score was in a large thanks to our defense and keeps me inspired about that side of the ball with a solid draft.

7 - Milano - Why is this kid not starting?  He almost had a big INT.  Humber is missing tackles left and right.  Milano just seems to have better ball instincts overall.  Not sure what I'm missing here but the kid needs to be on the field more.

8- Pats Offense - Have the Pats always run a zone blocking scheme?  On some of the replays, they showed how they blocked at different levels to make some really large holes.  They used our over-pursuit against us in the middle and it hurt in the run game.  First time I've seen them do this.  Also, Brady's quick release time still frustrates me beyond all else.  

9 - McDermott - I have to say that I'm impressed with how he had these guys ready to play two weeks in a row.  The defense finally got gassed and lost inspiration with 3 offensive point support, but they showed up.  After that 3 game skid,  I was nervous.  I would've liked to see him get more fired up after the Gronk hit, but he's overall shown me some good things.  I'll really like him when he fired Dennison

10 - Good season guys - I know we aren't mathematically eliminated yet.  But we'd need to win 3 of 4 and have the Ravens lose 2 of 4 or the Jags lose 3 of 4.  I just don't see either happening and we aren't going to magically wake up on offense.  With Peterman likely starting from here on out, I'm not giving up, I'm just calling it like I see it.  I still think 8-8 is possible, which is better than I hoped for.  Our needs on the roster and coaching staff are clear, Brady only gets older, and our schedule gets easier next year.  This wasn't the beat down we thought it would be and there's reason to be hopeful. 

Until next week.  Go Bills!

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In terms of Gronk's cheap shot, the Bills got what they deserved!  The fact that nobody took a shot at a Pats player is dispicable - if you act like a lap dog you, you deserved to be treated as such.  Even a baseball pitcher would have beaned someone.  What a bunch of sissies.

7 - Milano - Why is this kid not starting?  He almost had a big INT.  Humber is missing tackles left and right.  Milano just seems to have better ball instincts overall.  Not sure what I'm missing here but the kid needs to be on the field more.

I ask myself that every week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 - I thought Dennison had a great plan on the opening drive and some good calls with Webb manning the wildcat, but overall I think he's not a consistent good playcaller. I would not like to see him mentoring a rookie QB. 

6 - I agree, I can't remember when was the last time we put a hurt on Pats WR when they're running those crossing routes or quick outs. We were prepared for those. Obviously the Gronk/Brady connection was at it's best today, very hard to stop, no matter what defense you call.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about the game was how predictable it is/was.  It literally is like groundhog day.  We all know the refs are going to make some highly suspect calls that hurt the Bills.  I'm sick of the league and media and everyone ball washing that team.  They can play with a complete disregard for the rules because they know, more often than not, they're not going to get called on it.  I would like to see the Bills go old school Raiders on them in foxboro.  Take matters into your own hands, penalties and fines be damned.  If they're going to leave Brady in a blowout game, after you start cheapshotting our players... You damn sure should cheap shot his head on the next play.

I like Tyrod, but he seems to put up games like this far too often.  Did anyone genuinely think we could come back once we were down by 2 touchdowns?   It's been nearly 3 full years, and I don't think we've ever seen him elevate his play to rise above the crappy play calling and crappy refs.   For all his good... It just isn't good enough.  Whether we move on next week or next season, I'm not sure it matters.  

I want to like McD , but he's making a lot of bad decisions.  Milano is just one of them.  Dennison was a huge one.  I'd like to see him correct his mistakes more.  But, I'm hopeful he will.  I guess we'll see.  The Bills have improved in a lot of ways...unfortunately the results are so far the same.  He's good... Just not good enough.  

Agree with everything. I would add that Webb IV had a great throw that just missed by a wide open receiver. Was slightly off target but almost a touchdown. Both play calls resulting in turnovers inside the Pats 10 (int and TO on downs) made no sense. Passing when Shady had been running the ball well on the first drive boggles the mind. The 4th and goal from the one, Dennison called a play that had already failed twice. Why call it again?

• Like (+1) 1

With regard to Dennison, he is an enigma. (noun: a person of puzzling or contradictory character)

As bad as his play calls were when they were trying to punch it in from the 2 yard line, and it was embarrassing,

I thought it was incredibly creative to bring Joe Webb in on the first series, with TT wide.

We came within a whisker of making NE look stupid.

But why didn't they bring in Joe Webb when we were trying to punch it in ???

He looks like a monster, and he could have earned himself the nickname "Mighty Joe Webb"

20 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I ask myself that every week.

Matt Milano has been “Processed”

21 hours ago, davspo said:

In terms of Gronk's cheap shot, the Bills got what they deserved!  The fact that nobody took a shot at a Pats player is dispicable - if you act like a lap dog you, you deserved to be treated as such.  Even a baseball pitcher would have beaned someone.  What a bunch of sissies.

Couldn't agree more.  Especially considering the game was out of hand by then.  Someone should went for Brady's knees but this team has no heart. 

Virgil:

Disagree about the WR swaps. Woods, Witkins and Goodwin(8-99 yards yesterday) have all been productive. 

More productive than they were here last year. And what did we get who has been productive. NOBODY.

I don't want to hear about draft choices. When they lose talent like LB Eric Lee off the practice squad on

Nov. 11, to of course  the Pats, this management group does not have a clue what talent is. 

3 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

#4.  

That is all.

You cannot stop father time- it may be a few more years still but it will catch up with Brady and Bellicheat. When that happens the team will not be masked anymore. I, like many, will be laughing when the downward spiral begins. Also, Kraft is no spring chicken either.

2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Virgil:

Disagree about the WR swaps. Woods, Witkins and Goodwin(8-99 yards yesterday) have all been productive. 

More productive than they were here last year. And what did we get who has been productive. NOBODY.

I don't want to hear about draft choices. When they lose talent like LB Eric Lee off the practice squad on

Nov. 11, to of course  the Pats, this management group does not have a clue what talent is. 

Our WRs run awful routes and get little to no seperation 90 percent of the time. We knew this was a weak area going in and now were taking a big bite of it.

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

Couldn't agree more.  Especially considering the game was out of hand by then.  Someone should went for Brady's knees but this team has no heart. 

Then we are them! Gronk looked like a complete jerk and his interview after mad him look dumber than a box of rocks. The Pats time will come- father time always comes a knockin’

19 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

You cannot stop father time- it may be a few more years still but it will catch up with Brady and Bellicheat. When that happens the team will not be masked anymore. I, like many, will be laughing when the downward spiral begins. Also, Kraft is no spring chicken either.

Our WRs run awful routes and get little to no seperation 90 percent of the time. We knew this was a weak area going in and now were taking a big bite of it.

Then we are them! Gronk looked like a complete jerk and his interview after mad him look dumber than a box of rocks. The Pats time will come- father time always comes a knockin’

I keep telling myself this, but it seems like it'll never end. When Brady retires they'll find out years later he was drinking virgin's blood to remain youthful beyond his years. 

Edited by Captain Murica

On 12/3/2017 at 4:39 PM, Virgil said:

I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would as the outcome was to be expected.  I also got a fun re-fill of anger towards my most hated team in sports, so there's that....

1 - Dennison - When you only score 3 points, it's hard to talk about any other reason why we lost.  In this game, we got to see a full quarter of Peterman for the 2nd time and not against prevent.  Tyrod and Peterman play very different games.  Both had some good throws, both had some bad.  However, I feel more and more confident after this game that Dennison is our biggest problem on offense.  Last year, we averaged 24 ppg with the same players roughly (WR swaps).  Even the comentators commented on the uninspired play calls and Romo's been fairly spot on this season.  Empty sets on 4th and goal for a toss up, dump offs on 4th and 15, just overall terrible overall play calling.  I was inspired when he was hired and think he needs to be gone.  I'm not saying that this gives TT or Peterman a pass, but this game was brutal for him.

2 - Quarterbacks - Both had good throws and bad.  TT's interception was on him, whether he got hit or not.  The throw was very unlike him and to me, symbolized how much he was pressing this game.  He had another 19 yard sack that he needed to throw away.  Between that, and playing through his injury, I really do admire how much this guy fights for his job and team when the leadership has failed him.  Either way, TT is probably done as a Bill.  I don't know if he starts again as we are pretty much eliminated at this point.  I hate to see him go out this way, but the quarterback gets all the glory and all the blame.

Peterman had another rookie throw, which should've been intercepted.  However, he had at least 3 drops on good throws and one drop on a high one.  He showed a good release time as well as some zip.  I'm on board with letting him start the final 4 and hopefully he shows us some flashes for competition with our guy next year.

3 - Penalties - Until the last few drives, I was impressed that we had less flags thrown against us than the Pats.  With that being said....

The offsetting penalty rules need to be adjusted.  The hit that Gronk put on White was an abomination.  I used to hate/respect the man, but that's gone now.  He's an ape, nothing more.  The fact that anything we did after that hit could offset his act makes me sick.  I don't care what Hughes said to the ref and it was a joke to miss the back and forth on the other side of the field.  This was the Pats that I've grown to hate.....

4 - !@#$ the Pats - This game reminded me how much I hate this team.  Seeing Brady yell at McDaniels on the sidelines, Brady throwing when up 20, Gronk's hit.  I posted earlier this week asking if the Pats would pull any bush-league moves and that's just what they did.  I can respect great play, but Brady, the Hoodie, and now Gronk can all go !@#$ themselves moreso than ever.

5 - Thanks, that was fun
Don't forget, no regrets
Except maybe one
Made a deal not to feel
God, that's dumb

6 - Defensive Coverage - This was probably one of the better defensive coverage games against the Pats I can remember seeing in a while.  All of the sacks against Brady were coverage sacks and Brady was visibly frustrated.  Hyde did a good job against Gronk (besides the all out blitz where we didn't cover him at all?!?)and no other wide receiver had their name called (yes, I know their starting 2 were hurt)  Either way, our 9-3 halftime score was in a large thanks to our defense and keeps me inspired about that side of the ball with a solid draft.

8- Pats Offense - Have the Pats always run a zone blocking scheme?  On some of the replays, they showed how they blocked at different levels to make some really large holes.  They used our over-pursuit against us in the middle and it hurt in the run game.  First time I've seen them do this.  Also, Brady's quick release time still frustrates me beyond all else.  

9 - McDermott - I have to say that I'm impressed with how he had these guys ready to play two weeks in a row.  The defense finally got gassed and lost inspiration with 3 offensive point support, but they showed up.  After that 3 game skid,  I was nervous.  I would've liked to see him get more fired up after the Gronk hit, but he's overall shown me some good things.  I'll really like him when he fired Dennison

10 - Good season guys - I know we aren't mathematically eliminated yet.  But we'd need to win 3 of 4 and have the Ravens lose 2 of 4 or the Jags lose 3 of 4.  I just don't see either happening and we aren't going to magically wake up on offense.  With Peterman likely starting from here on out, I'm not giving up, I'm just calling it like I see it.  I still think 8-8 is possible, which is better than I hoped for.  Our needs on the roster and coaching staff are clear, Brady only gets older, and our schedule gets easier next year.  This wasn't the beat down we thought it would be and there's reason to be hopeful. 

Until next week.  Go Bills!

....Jesus Virgil, scared the hell outta me....I missed this yeasterday and this morning.....thought maybe you were at the Peace Bridge with one leg over....Dennison is pathetically woeful.....he makes Fairchild or Hackett look like Marchibroda clones.....and if McD goes with the flow, leadership is an issue...right now the Dennison agenda says, " he goes.....I'm staying".....is it one or the other OR BOTH McD?.......Brady is Brady, competitive as hell (dammit) even up 20......hell if we were up 20, "the play not to lose doctrine" is immediately invoked, commonly known as the "Turtle Syndrome".....Milano kid not starting is a pure joke......for a rook, seems like he has "IT", ala instincts and speed.....here's what puzzles me about McD and the defense......a three game skid of epic franchise proportions when you're HC is obviously a defensive leaning guy (a Johnson disciple , probably one of THE best in the game as DC) is a head scratcher.....did he leave that ball solely in Frazier's court?.....if so, why?......if I remember correctly, Frazier said after the skid was broken that "we did a better job controlling our gaps today".....THREE azz kickings before realizing gap control was THE issue?......the 5-2 "jack rabbit start" created Greenspan's "irrational exuberance" and now we're crashing back to REAL Earth....the 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 TBD prognosticators are looking much closer to reality in this highly transitional year.........

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

did anyone hear Romo when Nate came in?   He sounded kinda excited  (energized) and liking what he saw with Nate.  Quick drop and quick release, a perfectly thrown ball to a receiver in triple coverage.   

I was excited about what I seen from Peterman yesterday.  I don't know if I have ever seen such a quick release, particularly after suffering for so long with a qb that refuses to throw the ball.   I respect TT's ability to extend a play, but I am now ready to move on.  McD says that he has to figure out a way to score points.   Well Einstein.  How about giving Peterman or Webb a shot.  Not sure how true of a gauge it would be with the current OC, but IMO, both Peterman and Webb looked better than TT did yesterday minus the opening drive.  But we all know how that ended.   Smh

Seriously,  will it ever end?

14 minutes ago, JTown said:

I was excited about what I seen from Peterman yesterday.  I don't know if I have ever seen such a quick release, particularly after suffering for so long with a qb that refuses to throw the ball.

This excites me too.

I’ll repeat some Tony Romos comments.  

He too liked the drop back and quick release from Nate (as a positive and some negative).   Room also liked Nate’s threading a needle to a WR in triple coverage.  

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

I keep telling myself this, but it seems like it'll never end. When Brady retires they'll find out years later he was drinking virgin's blood to remain youthful beyond his years. 

We all have that perception as most QB’s play tails off prior to 40- Brady has defied odds for sure. Just hold tight and know its on the way.