The death of the Buffalo Bills Message Board - how did it happen?

BuffaloRush

10 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I believe Boyko had it shut down because of the negativity on the site. Of course that happens with nearly two decades of failure.

I don't get the hate for the mods over there tho, they had a thankless job and had to deal with people trying to push their buttons on a non stop basis.

There were a lot of good posters over there and a lot of them made the switch over here and there were a ton of good posters here already. There were also a lot of bad posters there and thankfully not all of them made it over here. Maybe some had already been banned here before infecting the BBMB.

I'm glad that this site is here though and thank those running it so us fans have a place to talk about our team.

That and too many users creating too many threads.  There would literally be 3-5 threads about the same topic.  Many wanted to be heard so they wouldn't comment in the existing thread so they created their own.  Then fighting would happen because people were sick of seeing the same threads and the thread creators would get sick of being called out for creating another thread.

Then you just had some bad posting for a long time.  There would be people who looked they had a 3rd grade grammar level commenting and creating threads.  Some of threads/posts, you couldn't understand because the grammar was so poor....you couldn't read it.   I forgot his name but there was one particular poster who had extremely bad grammar, couldn't understand him through spelling/content/sentence structure and would create 5 threads a day every day. 

12 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

All i know is I preferred the old TBD,  before the influx of new users from BBMB. 

I think the mods have handled the influx well.  They quickly jettisoned the ones who were clearly here to make trouble.  Others, they've been pretty patient.  But in the last couple weeks, I've seen the "hammer" come down a little more, so I think the honeymoon is over.  I think it's pretty clear what the "culture" of the board is, and those who can't conform ... I think we'll see less and less of them.  I think a lot of high-quality posters came here.  As long as the clean-up continues, in the end, I think TBD will be better from the BBMB shutdown.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think the mods have handled the influx well.  They quickly jettisoned the ones who were clearly here to make trouble.  Others, they've been pretty patient.  But in the last couple weeks, I've seen the "hammer" come down a little more, so I think the honeymoon is over.  I think it's pretty clear what the "culture" of the board is, and those who can't conform ... I think we'll see less and less of them.  I think a lot of high-quality posters came here.  As long as the clean-up continues, in the end, I think TBD will be better from the BBMB shutdown.

JM being thrown out was, I guess, a "big one"?  He was consistently posting on here and BBMB.  Probably one of the more active posters between 2 sites.

He simply couldn't handle someone having a different opinion than him.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That and too many users creating too many threads.  There would literally be 3-5 threads about the same topic.  Many wanted to be heard so they wouldn't comment in the existing thread so they created their own.  Then fighting would happen because people were sick of seeing the same threads and the thread creators would get sick of being called out for creating another thread.

Then you just had some bad posting for a long time.  There would be people who looked they had a 3rd grade grammar level commenting and creating threads.  Some of threads/posts, you couldn't understand because the grammar was so poor....you couldn't read it.   I forgot his name but there was one particular poster who had extremely bad grammar, couldn't understand him through spelling/content/sentence structure and would create 5 threads a day every day. 

It was Teef's fault

• Haha (+1) 1

Scott, have you ever been contacted by the Bills regarding this message board? Earlier replies in this topic discuss censorship by the mods under the employ/ control of the Bills organization. I wonder if TBD/Scott has ever been  confronted by an angry Bills representative or lawyer for content that they may feel unfairly slanders the team/players. 

TBD works a lot better than the old BBMB forum.  I'm not so much upset that it is gone, but the way it went down still bugs me. No warning. I felt abandoned and alone until finding this place. I think it happened right before free agency, too.  It would have been nice to have a week or two notice for people to prepare.  

I still won't give the main Bills site any traffic cause I'm bitter. ?

13 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

It's been quite some time since the Buffalo Bills Message Board was shut down.  In fact, that's how I landed here.  My question is - how did it all go down.  From my understanding the moderators were all volunteers and the head moderator was named Z-man.    How they became moderators and who made them moderators?  I have no idea.  I believe that Chris Brown oversaw the BBMB at one time but had very limited involvement with it. 

From what I can surmise, the board went down very shortly after Derek Boyko was hired.  So my guess is that he evaluated the website and decided the website had to go.  Clearly this was one area that Scott Berchtold must have not really paid much attention to.  

All I know is that one day, I went to log in and then there was a message that it was gone.

Here are my questions:

- Who was from the Bills organization was responsible for the BBMB?

- Who picked the moderators?

- Did anyone from the Bills even know or care that the BBMB existed?

- Who were the moderators exactly?

- How did the death of the BBMB occur and why was the decision made?

-Who made the call and how were the moderators notified?

So many questions - but hopefully with the knowledge of this board we can get some answers.  I am really loving Two Bills Drive by the way.  Way better people and better conversation overall

I had been signed up for the BBMB since 2002. In 2004 they overhauled it and that was the forum/system they used until it was shut down.

The reasoning they gave was because they felt other social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc) would be more effective/better at reaching their fans than a message board. Shortly before they decided on that, they hired a new guy to head up their PR department and I think he made the call.

I was never a moderator and I didn't know any of them but I remember wyobillsfan (something to that effect) being a mod, maybe, at one point. I think her name is Robyn and she has some stuff that goes up on the SB Nation blog (Buffalo Rumblings) from time to time.

The board was a daily stop for me. There were times when it sucked and every post was drab and negative. There were also a handful of people who liked to troll, make up different usernames and do things specifically to rile people up.

I don't recall mods being "ban happy" but I never paid that close attention. I do recall there were a handful of posters with legitimate connections and inside information that they would post about from time to time. There was a guy that would be more active around draft time and usually he was pretty accurate in predicting the prospects/free agents they were going after, leading some to believe he actually worked in the scouting department (he denied this) and most to think that he probably had a friend or family member that did work in the front office in some aspect. 

I was aware of this board while BBMB was still up and it has definitely seen a major uptick in traffic and new users and it's pretty good. I'm sure some of the "OG" TwoBillsDrive board members haven't been thrilled with the migration of posters from BBMB but this board is super active and usually pretty good.

As for how the Bills are doing with their numerous social media platforms... it's awful. Every Facebook/Twitter/Insta post has tons of comments with 80% of them ripping the team and players. The other 20% are supportive or trying to tell the negative people to can it. I tend to stay away from any comment section discussions regarding da Bills because it's usually a crapshow.

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

oh, I thought it showed "banned" but must be "permabanned" still shows an active account?

Do something to get banned.  I'll check your profile out and let you know what it says.  Just PM your email first.  ;)