Should we take a look at other QB flyers?

Should the Bills bring in some other young QB prospects looking forward to next year?  Jerrod Evans was a name bandied around these parts as a sleeper.  He's on the PS of the Packers.  Trevor Knight is another QB who is on the PS of the Falcons.

Should we try to poach these guys?  I'm sure there's some stiff we can cut to carry 4 QB's.  I mean, why not?

At this point in the season and pushing for a playoff spot I would rather see us try and find a back up pass rusher or some other depth on the d line.  Certainly not against adding qb competition next season but as long as we're "in the hunt,'" Tyrod isn't going anywhere so I think it would be a waste of a roster spot. 

I think the best option is to Poach one of Minnesota QBs like Bradford if he can get healthy enough and still draft one in the first round. Bradford would give them a quality player to let the new guy learn under and he wont stay healthy for an entire season so our New guy could take over without a controversy 

31 minutes ago, BILLriant said:

I think the best option is to Poach one of Minnesota QBs like Bradford if he can get healthy enough and still draft one in the first round. Bradford would give them a quality player to let the new guy learn under and he wont stay healthy for an entire season so our New guy could take over without a controversy 

....Bradford.....career earnings to date: $114 million....career TD's to date: 101.....or $1.128 mil per TD pass.....but he does come with 2 knee replacements and a 30 day warranty.....good investment....

• Haha (+1) 2

For next year yeah.

I kind of like the idea of getting a QB that did well in college.  Won a lot of games.  Was a high prospect, but has been riding the pine behind a good QB for a few years. 

Pretty much what we got with Hotrod.  Was a backup behind Joe, and came here and was ready to start.  Let them be developed on someone else's dime that knows more about it than we do.

Names I like this year include AJ McCarron and Aaron Murray.  If you can't sign them, trade if you have to.

I like the thought but as more of an offseason thing. Even if some of these guys aren’t “franchise guys” maybe they can be solid backups like Matt Moore? If you are going to compete for championships that’s an important role. We all remember Frank Reich. I think that they bring in a guy with some experience to go with the first round pick. If someone like Evans or Knight is better than Peterman, why not? Garrett Grayson is another guy that is probably worth kicking the tires on.

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like the thought but as more of an offseason thing. Even if some of these guys aren’t “franchise guys” maybe they can be solid backups like Matt Moore? If you are going to compete for championships that’s an important role. We all remember Frank Reich. I think that they bring in a guy with some experience to go with the first round pick. If someone like Evans or Knight is better than Peterman, why not? Garrett Grayson is another guy that is probably worth kicking the tires on.

That's exactly my thought.  And why I'd like to grab them earlier.  I'd like Evans in particular on the roster, getting a feel for the playbook etc.  If he beats out Petey, awesome.  If not, a 3rd stringer STer got cut for nothing.  Oh well.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

That's exactly my thought.  And why I'd like to grab them earlier.  I'd like Evans in particular on the roster, getting a feel for the playbook etc.  If he beats out Petey, awesome.  If not, a 3rd stringer STer got cut for nothing.  Oh well.

Yeah, I don’t hate it at all. Would we even notice if Khari Lee was gone?!? I like your thinking. If you are going to play the young guys once you are out it wouldn’t hurt to get a look at 2 of them. Worst case scenario is that neither of them have a future here. There isn’t much downside. 

4 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Should the Bills bring in some other young QB prospects looking forward to next year?  Jerrod Evans was a name bandied around these parts as a sleeper.  He's on the PS of the Packers.  Trevor Knight is another QB who is on the PS of the Falcons.

Should we try to poach these guys?  I'm sure there's some stiff we can cut to carry 4 QB's.  I mean, why not?

I don’t believe so. The Tyrod experiment will be over,and an experienced QB who can actually teach a young guy the trade will be brought in ,likely as a placeholder until our new first round QB is ready.

I guess there’s no harm in finding a fourth guy,but not sure what that would accomplish in terms of helping the team.

36 minutes ago, dlonce said:

I don’t believe so. The Tyrod experiment will be over,and an experienced QB who can actually teach a young guy the trade will be brought in ,likely as a placeholder until our new first round QB is ready.

I guess there’s no harm in finding a fourth guy,but not sure what that would accomplish in terms of helping the team.

Another lotto ticket.

Maybe I'm the one misreading the OP's message, but I thought he was suggesting that after our two NE losses that the season would effectively  be over, and that we might consider bringing in other QB prospects off the practice squads of the other teams as backups that our scouts think might have potential, and check them out in practice for next year. It costs next to nothing to grab someone off the practice squad. I understand the chances of finding a decent QB off a PS is minimal, but there is minimal downside or investment. I assume he has given up totally on Nate, which is understandable after his historic performance. If we are out of the race this year, he is saying get rid of the crud at the bottom of the roster and get a jump on next year in the search for a possible gem at QB. It makes sense to me, it is zero risk and gets a jump on next year to start working on possible solutions to a rebuild this year instead of wasting time uselessly this year. The clock is already ticking on year 18.

The worst thing that'll happen to the Bills is to still be in the hunt in Week Seventeen.  That'll mean TT will still be starting, Peterman will not be allowed a chance to see if it was all just a bad dream, and the 9-7 record will lured OBD to stick with Tyrod for yet another year. Mark my words.

PS: We lose the playoff tie breaker but feel 'good' about a winning record.....YAWN

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Bradford.....career earnings to date: $114 million....career TD's to date: 101.....or $1.128 mil per TD pass.....but he does come with 2 knee replacements and a 30 day warranty.....good investment....

30 days or 1000 yards, whichever comes first!

• Like (+1) 1