Rex Ryan says he was told to bench Tyrod Taylor last year

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Also, why was benching Tyrod last year even a bad decision?

1) it moved us up in the draff

2) we weren't locked into TT and brought him back cheaper

3) we got to evaluate other qbs

imo, it was probably one of the best Bills moves in awhile.

I wonder what this board would be saying if Taylor wasn't benched and ended up injured,  and they had to give him the big contract.  Everyone would be bitching, because the bench game was a meaningless game.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Rex is the worst. He's like that crazy ex who won't stop texting you even though you've moved on. 

I'm not sold on SM but he is better than Rex. A guy who sucked here but still thinks it's not his fault.

A guy who was hired to comment on the NFL is commenting on the NFL . . . and one of the most universally panned decisions (benching TT in favor of Peterman and the historical precedent) around the country.

Hmmm.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hmmm.

13 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I wonder what this board would be saying if Taylor wasn't benched and ended up injured,  and they had to give him the big contract.  Everyone would be bitching, because the bench game was a meaningless game.

I wonder what the other players were saying in the locker room about how the team thought about them and how they were going to approach that game given that we were not playing our best QB.

I think the result of that game answers the question.

Edited by Peter

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

A guy who was hired to comment on the NFL is commenting on the NFL . . . and one of the most universally panned decisions (benching TT in favor of Peterman) around the country.

Hmmm.

Haha.  Glad to see your Rex love still burns strong Peter.  

I was rewarded for braving the cold at the Emirates last night with a 5 goal win.  Big game Saturday... if we win that you might even say we are back on track.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was rewarded for braving the cold at the Emirates last night with a 5 goal win.  Big game Saturday... if we win that you might even say we are back on track.  

I am loyal . . . to a fault.

I am flying up to see UM in the ACC Championship game in Charlotte this weekend.  One of the things that I made sure of is that the people with whom I am traveling are not going to give me grief about going to see Arsenal play Man U at one of the local Arsenal Pubs.

Great game yesterday.  It did look cold though.

There was some brilliant moments of Wenger ball.  I am convinced that we will definitely finish in the top four.  I am not as sure about what to do about Alexis and Ozil though.  If they play like they did against City, I would sell and try to get Draxler (always rumored to be going to Arsenal) and someone else (am I allowed to dream about Griezmann).  If they play like they did against Spurs, it is a more difficult question.  I just would hate to lose them both for nothing . . . especially if their hearts are not into it.

Rex is engaged in reputation building... wait and see. A guy gets on TV and suddenly he's great again.

Gruden won with Dungy's team in Tampa then ruined the program but now he could have almost any job he wants and is some kind of guru.

Rex will be in the mix for some team's job, especially if there are quite a few open. Chicago makes some sense, given the connections. Redeem the Ryan name in the windy city?

The Bears could use some personality or something interesting. It's easy to forget that there is even a team in Chicago.

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rex is engaged in reputation building... wait and see. A guy gets on TV and suddenly he's great again.

Gruden won with Dungy's team in Tampa then ruined the program but now he could have almost any job he wants and is some kind of guru.

Rex will be in the mix for some team's job, especially if there are quite a few open. Chicago makes some sense, given the connections. Redeem the Ryan name in the windy city?

The Bears could use some personality or something interesting. It's easy to forget that there is even a team in Chicago.

I expect Rex to get interviews if as suspected there are 6 to 8 jobs open.  He has done a good job of portraying himself as a wronged man in Buffalo.  

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

There was some brilliant moments of Wenger ball.  I am convinced that we will definitely finish in the top four.  I am not as sure about what to do about Alexis and Ozil though.  If they play like they did against City, I would sell and try to get Draxler (always rumored to be going to Arsenal) and someone else (am I allowed to dream about Griezmann).  If they play like they did against Spurs, it is a more difficult question.  I just would hate to lose them both for nothing . . . especially if their hearts are not into it.

I think we will too.

Ozil was fantastic last night, Sanchez less so.  Still think Ozil could stay think Sanchez is off.  Looks like Lacazette is out for the next 3 or 4 weeks which would be a blow.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I expect Rex to get interviews if as suspected there are 6 to 8 jobs open.  He has done a good job of portraying himself as a wronged man in Buffalo.  

I think we will too.

Ozil was fantastic last night, Sanchez less so.  Still think Ozil could stay think Sanchez is off.  Looks like Lacazette is out for the next 3 or 4 weeks which would be a blow.  

As for Rex, that is an easy sell given that most objective people would say that it is unfair to fire a guy in less than two years who had the best winning percentage for the last 17 years of the history of the franchise . . . especially given the injuries and people (Whaley? ownership?) throwing him under the bus with leaks moments before a huge game etc.

Ozil - He is a very good player when Arsenal are in possession and he is interested.  When we are not in possession, it is like playing with a man down.  If he moderates his wage demands to a more reasonable amount, extend him. If not, get what what we can in the January window.

Sanchez - I suspect he is going to leave as well.  I would make another attempt to sign him before the January window closes.  If we cannot, I am sure he would have a lot of value to a team still in the Champions league competition.  Ozil also would have some value.

Lacazette - I made a comment yesterday to another friend of mine who also is an Arsenal supporter.  With Lacazatte getting injured, Lacazette is now officially an Arsenal player.  Injuries are a rite of passage it seems.

Speaking of injuries, I feel horrible for Santi.  He is one of my favorite players. 

Edited by Peter

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Speaking of injuries, I feel horrible for Santi.  He is one of my favorite players. 

Yea think that is him done.  Such a shame.  I was at his last game when he came off in the CL Group stage last year.  Sad that we won't see him again.  

Okay we will stop derailing this thread now folks.... the rest of you carry on.  :D

I forgot about the leaks right before big games... totally dysfunctional and obviously aimed at undermining Rex.

We can say that he was a total disaster, but the man went .500 here and didn't even get 2 seasons. His hand picked QB Tyrod is seen around the league as a decent QB. There were tons of injuries. He was jerked around by the dysfunctional front office. There are plenty of things he can say in his defense.

Could be part of why Whaley was eventually fired too. Same thing happened when St. Doug was here. Leaks have stopped now.

Put all of those mitigating factors on top of the fact that Rex is a likeable guy in person and a smooth talker who tells you what you want to hear and talks big and some team is going to give him a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And yet they still passed on one last year.?

The Pegulas don't know what they are watching so it wouldn't surprise me if they have a strong dislike for Taylor like many fans on this board.

i love it that scott thinks he's smarter than the pegulas.  will you at least admit that it was a complete waste of time, and annoying to everyone here that you constantly, (and i mean constantly) complained about the loss of mike gillislee?  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And yet they still passed on one last year.?

The Pegulas don't know what they are watching so it wouldn't surprise me if they have a strong dislike for Taylor like many fans on this board.

And the article ends with Rex saying"they" lost to a jv jets team. No, Rex, it should be "WE" lost to a jv jets team.

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Football knowledge? Absoultely. 

It's sports bro, it's not rocket science.... or fracking. 

i think it's harder than you're giving it credit for.  not that the bills haven't made being bad seem easy.

On 2017-11-29 at 11:07 AM, Misterbluesky said:

He was fired because his defensive schemes and designs are out dated.Rex is a bs artist and everybody knows it.

Blueskee is back! Have any fresh Buffalo sushi recently?

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/29/2017 at 11:05 AM, Livinginthepast said:

Pretty obvious this was the case. Must be pretty embarrassing for Rex to admit. I would have ignored the order. He was a lame duck by that stage anyway, why not stand up for yourself and make the owners fire you then. The writing was on the wall anyway for Rex yet he caves? Makes him seem even more of a loser than I thought!

What in the world are you talking about? Rex WAS fired by the owners. He did stand his ground. 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Have you made it on to Arsenal fan tv yet mate?

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

What in the world are you talking about? Rex WAS fired by the owners. He did stand his ground. 

FFS read the entire thread ! no just read my response which is right below my original response ON THE SAME PAGE 1 of this thread HERE it is: 

• Rookie
  •  
  • Livinginthepast
  • Members
  • 408 posts
On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎29 at 2:07 PM, Scott7975 said:

Rex didn't cave. He was fired and then Lynn benched Tyrod. 

I should have read the article! I take back my critique of Rex. He is now slightly LESS of a loser than I thought. But was the call Whaley's or the Pegula's? to bench TT. last year? the article doesn't confirm where the order originated.

5 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

FFS read the entire thread ! no just read my response which is right below my original response ON THE SAME PAGE 1 of this thread HERE it is: 

•  

Sorry, but I don't have any issue with calling someone out twice when they state something so foolish. 

And who has time to read an entire thread that's 5 pages long.