Tyler Dunne: "Dennison Stays and Tyrod Goes"

BuffaloRush

would a third OC really make a difference?

some would like to think so, I'm not so sure.

I would, just out of curiosity like to see if it did. but that would mean another year with taylor and I don't think I want to see another year of taylor, seen enough.

I know one thing, I want rico gone, like yesterday.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

4 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

The part that I really don't understand why you all don't seem to get, is that in the 1st season of a new staff and team rebuild, how do you know what they're trying to do? I believe they're trying to evaluate what they have and what they need, all while trying to win a few games. If you don't try fitting a square peg into a round hole, how do you know it doesn't fit?

Additionally, the staff needs to know which player can comprehend and execute certain schemes. These players for the most part are not rocket scientists. Some can get it, and some just cannot, for whatever reason. Part of it is physical. A lot of it is mental. So, in the 1st year you ask them to try this and try that, each for a few games. You see how they comprehend the mental concept of the play, and you see how they physically execute it. Then you start making decisions. In our case, I believe that at the highest level, you just don't have many players on offense that are complete players at much of anything.

So, I ask you, early in a rebuild, do you completely structure your concept around marginal players you have, or do you design a system that you believe will win in the long run and keep a few bridge players at certain positions until you can acquire complete players to properly execute the system over time?

I guess it depends on who you are.

I disagree.  Somehow Coach Gase was able to get the Fish to the playoffs in his first season last year.  Coach HardBall got San Fran to playoffs his first season.  Marty Schottenhiemer also did it several times.  It's not a valid excuse IMHO.

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

It doesn't matter who the OC is because the mobile qb can't run a full range offense. Your criticisms of Dennison are valid but that doesn't change the reality that Taylor is a limited qb that the prior OCs had to contend with. Roman is a capable OC whose philosophy of stressing the running game was conducive to Taylor's talents. He was fired. Ask Lynn if he rather call plays for Taylor or Rivers?

Speaking of Lynn, here's a Fun Fact : Everyone knows the Bills were top ten in scoring last year. But take just the average of games with Lynn as OC & Taylor as quarterback, and their scoring rating would have actually been even higher.  Tied for fourth - with Green Bay. 

17 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I know we all despise Rick Dennison's offense and are hoping that McDermott pulls the trigger to upgrade the OC position, especially considering the candidates who might be available (Hugh Jackson, Ben McAdoo, Dirk Koetter, Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians etc).  But I was listening To "The Extra Point Show" with Sal Capaccio on WGR and he had Tyler Dunne from The Bleacher Report - formerly Buffalo News Sports (when it was free to read).  

I sure hope he is wrong but he believes the decision to bench Tyrod essentially guarantees Dennison's security.  He believes that Tyrod is not a QB that can run his offense, so his theory is that the Bills are going to keep Dennison around and find a new QB for him.  I really don't think his logic makes sense.

You have to consider that Dennison was McDermott's 3rd choice as OC (behind McCoy and Childress) and he doesn't have a longstanding relationship to McDermott like other coaches do on his staff.  McDermott is also not stupid - he can't be blind to the fact that the offense as a whole has been ineffective.  Plus, if Dennison was the one behind starting Peterman, as speculated by many, then it doesn't say much about his judgement.  Like it or not, if the Bills do take a QB in the draft the success of that position essentially could determine the fate of McDermott and Beane in 4 years.  Do you really want your fate in the hands of Rick Dennison?  

You make a lot of tough calls in regarding to hiring your staff in the NFL.  I am hoping McDermott and Beane are smart enough to see better options available.  For what it's worth, audio can be found below.  The Dennison talk is at the 20 minute mark:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-27-tyler-dunne-bleacher-report-sal-capaccio

<script data-cx-item-id="121186945" data-cx-widget="10321" data-cx-api-key="4qtw7wGvXs6KB0n4GjDPMRQjMjNBkyIw" src="//embed.widget.cx/amd.js"></script>

They Both should go. 

I DONT WANT DENNISON anywhere near Rosen when I buy Cle pick and draft him

2 minutes ago, grb said:

Speaking of Lynn, here's a Fun Fact : Everyone knows the Bills were top ten in scoring last year. But take just the average of games with Lynn as OC & Taylor as quarterback, and their scoring rating would have actually been even higher.  Tied for fourth - with Green Bay. 

Those 17 passing TDs really tipped the scales.

9 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

I'm sorry - why do we need to keep either of them?

Fire Rico, tell him to take Juan with him.  Reassign DuCasse to front entrance security/ticket check at the stadium where he can be where he belongs hanging out with his own kind (the turnstiles).

Dump Tyrod and his $16M or so salary, use the money to keep KB and Matthews.  Draft a QB and MLB in the first, DT and OG in the second.  << as available.  Start a fully prepped NP week one and/or bring the rookie in as soon as he's ready.

I'm sorry but this cracks me up.  You want to improven the QB situation obviously by dumping our best QB and draft another, and then YOU WANT TO START THE SEASON WITH Nate Peterpan.  LOL

9 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

I'm sorry - why do we need to keep either of them?

Fire Rico, tell him to take Juan with him.  Reassign DuCasse to front entrance security/ticket check at the stadium where he can be where he belongs hanging out with his own kind (the turnstiles).

Dump Tyrod and his $16M or so salary, use the money to keep KB and Matthews.  Draft a QB and MLB in the first, DT and OG in the second.  << as available.  Start a fully prepped NP week one and/or bring the rookie in as soon as he's ready.

I'm sorry but this cracks me up.  You want to improven the QB situation obviously by dumping our best QB and draft another, and then YOU WANT TO START THE SEASON WITH Nate Peterpan.  LOL

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, I think he's not thrilled with them and he wants to "test the market", but there's "not interested in principle" and there's "not interested under any circumstances whatsoever."  It would be hard to walk away from the right deal.  Sure there are differences - Washington's D is mediocre.  Their O is top-third, but not top tier.  There are better destinations, but many of the QB needy ones are also worse.

The GM who lets Cousins walk will face a lot of scrutiny and 2nd guessing if they have nothing decent at QB next year.  I could be wrong, but I think Stafford's deal will be the starting place and the pile o' cash will get deeper from there - Stafford did get a $50M bonus, but his deal overall seems relatively cap friendly for the next 3-4 years.  And eventually, you may be right, Cousins may walk anyway.

Kirk is going to let god decide where he plays next year.

40 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Taylor's time in Buffalo has expired. He's been given more than enough opportunities and it just hasn't worked out.

2018 - New OC with three quarterbacks to work with in camp: a free agent, first-round draft pick and Peterman.

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Taylor's time in Buffalo has expired. He's been given more than enough opportunities and it just hasn't worked out.

2018 - New OC with three quarterbacks to work with in camp: a free agent, first-round draft pick and Peterman.

a free agent, first-round draft pick and Hotrod.

You'd think a QB starved team would know better than to dump a QB that they have won more than they lost with.

Be careful what you ask for.

PS Peterman is a joke.  I hope the next time I see him play is next pre season IF he is still on the team (hopefully not).

Oh, and we're still going to need a D.

Edited by reddogblitz

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Dunne is good.

He's very good at old school reporting, going on the road or getting on the phone, sitting down with several people, interviewing them for background, and then putting it all together into a cogent, interesting read. Not sure either way about his sports opinions on stuff.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Then you missed the whole point. The team was top 10 DVOA and scoring the last 2 years. Now they are 25 and 22. Either all of the players got worse or the coaching did. You can interpret it however you choose but the likeliest scenario is that the poor coaching has led to the regression. 

That was despite being near the bottom of the league in passing.   Good defenses could shut them down easily, while bad ones got run over for those scoring stats.

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You'd think a QB starved team would know better than to dump a QB that they have won more than they lost with.

Taylor costs $16M and thinks he's a good starter.  Team McBeane know better.  TT is gone.

Edited by BobChalmers

29 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Be careful what you ask for.

PS Peterman is a joke.  I hope the next time I see him play is next pre season IF he is still on the team (hopefully not).

Oh, and we're still going to need a D.

Taylor is finished in Buffalo as soon as the 2018 ball drops in Times Square. It's simply a fact. Just accept it and move on.