Still a lot of hating on McDermott after a win...

That felt like a Jauron win. Horribly boring game, out ugly another team, and pray to hold on.

i also can't move past the fact if we kept all the guys we traded, we be sitting comfortably in the playoffs.  I also can't shake how terrible his qb decision was either.

beat or hell play NE really close and it will feel better.  But this just feels like another meaningless Bills W in the drought by an interchangeable coach.  

But it starts with One!!! 

19 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

he earned the hate with the record-breaking defensive futility in our last 3 games before KC

Belicheck has stretches where his defense looks like garbage every year.  Look at the first couple of games for New England...ugly.  Good coaches can get their guys to rebound and turn it around before the season spirals.  At the moment, we are 6-5.  I'd say in his first year, that's pretty good with the lack of talent he has on the front 7 of our defense.

Play calling was Rico vanilla as usual. Plays were left on the field. Open wide receivers missed left and right and over thrown and under thrown so even if they do catch there is no room for YAC. The O'leary under throw the most blatant missed opportunity by far. But, this is par for the course with that QB he makes one great escape from pressure and gets a first down to Shady and then we have to hear how great he is. Or he makes a nice throw to Zay in the end zone for a nice touchdown. That doesn't erase the fact that we were completely dominating KC on defense and had to have a pick to end the game because of how terrible our offense played.

Kudos to OLDMAN FAN and JOESIXPACK  for their rational posts. The Coach and G.M took over and set about cleaning out the people that did not fit their perspective of a football team. The Pundits predicted us to 4 -12 this year. They have given us a roster that is competitive and blessed us with a lot of draft Choices , plus ridded us of cap space , to sign free agents. This all in one year. I do not think that they promised us a Super Bowl this year. The Coach is Coaching and the GM is doing his thing, so be a little patient to the younger set of fans. Remember that i started being a Bill's fan in 1960. I know, I know, I'm OLD.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That felt like a Jauron win. Horribly boring game, out ugly another team, and pray to hold on.

Sadly, this.  The part that really struck me was post Chiefs turnover on downs in the fourth quarter-Buffalo receives the ball at midfield.  Nursing a 6 point lead, we decide to run the ball 2 straight times with the chiefs having 3 timeouts?  I was only listening to the radio broadcast at this point, but it sounded like the third play was a designed run by Tyrod (correct me if I'm wrong).  I couldn't believe that the play calling on this series was so unassertive.  We only had a 6 point lead!  We have the ball at midfield near field goal range.  We have one of the least turnover prone QBs in the NFL and one of the best long range kickers.  Go for the throat!

17 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

Who has this franchise "quick fired"? The answer is literally no one (not as far as Head Coaches are concerned).

Firing a guy in less than two years, in my judgment, is the definition of being "quick fired" - especially if that guy had the best winning percentage for a Bills coach in 17 years despite injuries and leaks designed to undermine him moments before huge games.

Just my two cents.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

i also can't move past the fact if we kept all the guys we traded, we be sitting comfortably in the playoffs.  I also can't shake how terrible his qb decision was either.

beat or hell play NE really close and it will feel better.  But this just feels like another meaningless Bills W in the drought by an interchangeable coach.  

i get this, but we've had all those guys on the team before, and no playoffs.  guys like gilmore, watkins and dareus, (who i hated losing) all show random displays of how good they can be, and then typically fall back to average.  this team needed to go in a different direction, and that is what this year is about.  

it shocks me that the same people who were calling out a 4 win season due to the trades, are the same ones who are complaining about possibly not making the playoffs.  if you had told them that this team is still in the hunt into december, you would have been laughed at.  why not be amazed that this staff has such a low end team playing beyond their talent level?  on top of that, this team isn't about this year.  the bills have a ton of draft picks, and the vision will start coming together.  i don't know if it will work, but the bills next year will be a far different look than this year.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i get this, but we've had all those guys on the team before, and no playoffs.  guys like gilmore, watkins and dareus, (who i hated losing) all show random displays of how good they can be, and then typically fall back to average.  this team needed to go in a different direction, and that is what this year is about.  

it shocks me that the same people who were calling out a 4 win season due to the trades, are the same ones who are complaining about possibly not making the playoffs.  if you had told them that this team is still in the hunt into december, you would have been laughed at.  why not be amazed that this staff has such a low end team playing beyond their talent level?  on top of that, this team isn't about this year.  the bills have a ton of draft picks, and the vision will start coming together.  i don't know if it will work, but the bills next year will be a far different look than this year.

Fair points.

1) I blame Rex and his staff for the last 2 years.  I think the talent was there to make the the playoffs.

i thought SM could be an upgrade over RR.  But we traded arguably 3 of our 5 best players. That was self inflicted.

2) it goes to show there wasn't as much as a plan as they thought.  Personally, I would have kept all those guys and tailored an offense to TT. Most people knew this offense was a bad fit for him.

but if you didn't believe in talent, let him walk and start a young qb. You get to see what he could do and if he sucks, high draft pick.

now we are staring at 7-9 or 8-8 again and just middling like Buffalo always does.

i just want us to be better and stop destroying the goodness things the Bills have.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair points.

1) I blame Rex and his staff for the last 2 years.  I think the talent was there to make the the playoffs.

i thought SM could be an upgrade over RR.  But we traded arguably 3 of our 5 best players. That was self inflicted.

2) it goes to show there wasn't as much as a plan as they thought.  Personally, I would have kept all those guys and tailored an offense to TT. Most people knew this offense was a bad fit for him.

but if you didn't believe in talent, let him walk and start a young qb. You get to see what he could do and if he sucks, high draft pick.

now we are staring at 7-9 or 8-8 again and just middling like Buffalo always does.

i just want us to be better and stop destroying the goodness things the Bills have.

1.  i completely agree with you on this.  a decent coach should have been able to get the bills to the playoffs the last 2 years. i also agree that any personnel issues this year was self inflicted, but i'm ok with that.  it wasn't about this year, and i was more than on board for a stinker if it gets the bills a qb.

2.  this i don't agree with as much.  i like tt, but i just don't think he's a guy you tailor anything around.  i think he's good enough to sneak you into the playoffs, but i just don't see him as a long term answer.  i also won't say there wasn't much of a plan.  i think the real plan starts this offseason.  this season is just a wash, which is why it will be kind of impressive if this team gets 8 wins.  8 wins doesn't help buffalo in any way, but maybe it shows us what a good coach can do.  this can all end in a giant disaster too.  

2 hours ago, Wily Dog said:

Kudos to OLDMAN FAN and JOESIXPACK  for their rational posts. The Coach and G.M took over and set about cleaning out the people that did not fit their perspective of a football team. The Pundits predicted us to 4 -12 this year. They have given us a roster that is competitive and blessed us with a lot of draft Choices , plus ridded us of cap space , to sign free agents. This all in one year. I do not think that they promised us a Super Bowl this year. The Coach is Coaching and the GM is doing his thing, so be a little patient to the younger set of fans. Remember that i started being a Bill's fan in 1960. I know, I know, I'm OLD.

I was there opening day 1960.  We're older.  But maybe wiser.

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Belicheck has stretches where his defense looks like garbage every year.  Look at the first couple of games for New England...ugly.  Good coaches can get their guys to rebound and turn it around before the season spirals.  At the moment, we are 6-5.  I'd say in his first year, that's pretty good with the lack of talent he has on the front 7 of our defense.

BB has spent years making deposits into the bank of trust. When BB does poorly, you can still rely on those banked funds.  McD's defense was terrible and he pulled the starting QB for being middling in the midst of a playoff hunt. He doesn't have enough capital built up for fans to implicitly trust his judgment.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

BB has spent years making deposits into the bank of trust. When BB does poorly, you can still rely on those banked funds.  McD's defense was terrible and he pulled the starting QB for being middling in the midst of a playoff hunt. He doesn't have enough capital built up for fans to implicitly trust his judgment.

BB has a trust and we get scratch off tickets.

36 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yet he's still 6-5 so far in his first year.  He'll likely end up with 8-9 wins on the year.  Whether that'll be enough to get a playoff spot...who knows.  Either way, that's a pretty good first year especially with the lack of talent we have now and getting rid of guys who have been productive in the past but didn't seem to fit and trust the process.  

I can't stand here and blame McD for daring to be better than average at QB.  We saw what Tyrod could do in this system for weeks and against the Saints he but up an embarrassing performance by a 3 year starting QB.  Nobody knew what Peterman would do, he looked good until the Chargers game.  I can't blame him for wanting to be a better team.  Sure the defense **** the bed but that wouldn't stop the offense from scoring points too...but they didn't.  It was not Tyrod or the defense. It was Tyrod and the defense.  Neither played well. 

They are focused on winning now and in the future.  They are 6-5, trying to make moves now to improve and they've set themselves up this offseason to repave the roster with McD players.  Maybe I don't understand the negativity from the fans.  They are looking down a lot of avenues to try to get better.  Why not see if Peterman is better than Tyrod?  So it didn't work, at least you tried to get better.  He said he wasn't here to be an average team and I applaud him for making that move even if it could hurt him if it goes poorly.  He would've looked like a genius if he played well and became the starter down the stretch of the season.  I like that he dared to be better than average.  Isn't that what we wanted?  Be better than average.  He'll have a lot of resources in the offseason to get better for next year.  And if we get better next year, our 8-9 wins this year could be jumping up to 10-11.  I think we are pretty close to a playoff team.  I'm tired of switching coaches all the time.  Seems like it's Cleveland and Buffalo who's been switching HCs every few years.  That's not a great partner to have in a category.  So yeah, I'm gonna trust the moves that they make.  I've seen there point on every move so far.  They are building a culture that doesn't involve ping pong and a bag of grass in the locker room.  I think he's a good coach.  His defense has been up and down this year but for part of the year, they were the top defense in the league in terms of giving up points.  The talent he has on the defense doesn't match that rating.  That tells me he's got a lot of potential to get the best out of his players on defense.  That's why I'm in support.  Maybe I'm just smoking too much of that Trust the Process in my pipe ... who knows

4 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Historically, Brady has absolutely destroyed cover 2 zone defenses that can't get at the QB with 4 rushers. His accuracy takes apart zones. In contrast, Alex Smith's mid- to deep inaccuracy makes him very shaky against cover 2 defenses. Travis Kelce said it best before the Bills game: "until we solve the cover 2, we're going to continue to struggle." I think we're in for a long day. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Historically, Brady has absolutely destroyed cover 2 zone defenses that can't get at the QB with 4 rushers. His accuracy takes apart zones. In contrast, Alex Smith's mid- to deep inaccuracy makes him very shaky against cover 2 defenses. Travis Kelce said it best before the Bills game: "until we solve the cover 2, we're going to continue to struggle." I think we're in for a long day. 

Cover two defenses rely on our pass rush to let the secondary have a field day with QBs.  In 2015, Carolina's defense had 4 players with at least 4 ints.  We don't have the talent right now to get enough pass rush.  I'm sure they will address it in the offseason.  But when we had good games against David Carr, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton, we had at least a little pass rush that shut those offenses down.  We just don't have the talent yet to do what he wants to do with the defense.  I'm not focused on just one game, have to think about the potential to fix these problems this offseason with all of the cap space and draft picks we have.  Hopefully they a good eye for players that fit what they are trying to do and so far, Hyde, Poyer and Tre White along with a few other players like Yarbrough have shown me that they might have a chance to repave this roster.  Trust the process hoot hoot

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine? If they win one more game, they tie the total from last year, with all the "irreplaceable" players they traded. Two more, they exceed it.

Three...well you don't want to know what happens then.

Winning 6-8 games here is the norm and we've had terrible coaches during the drought. I am not willing to hate McDermott, nor am I ready to say everyone should give him a break. Until we make the playoffs, he's just another guy who I'm not going to put a lot of trust in. That said, I do like him and hope he turns out to be a good coach.  

there is no reason to hate McDermott at this time.   He's rebuilding a team from bottom to the top.   

We cal all say he made a huge mistake by starting Nate, but what was the end game?  Why did he do it?   

Time for the team to show they are trying to succeed.  The most important guy on the team is the QB.