The DEFENSE has simply quit - my question is WHY?

Socal-805

The Bills were 5-2 with one the top defenses in the league: # 1 points/game I believe.  Then the bottom drops out.

Why would the defense give up like that?  Tired of carrying the Tyrod led offense, protesting the Dareus trade?  Rejecting the Bills coaching?

What have they given up rushing yards, like 600-700 yards?  Why when the team had a realistic chance of making the playoffs?  Or so we thought.

I just don't understand what happened...

FYI:  I am not a new member, but could not login to the new site, so

Member since 2001?

The timing of the defense sucking works out well with the trade of Dareus, doesn't it?

I have no idea if they have really "quit" or if it is related to Dareus...but Sal C. has always insisted that Dareus was viewed favorably by his fellow teammates and he was considered a good locker room guy, despite the fact that he was not very popular with fans.

It's possible the group was disheartened when we gave away the best (*) player on the team for nothing in return.

(*) denotes best player on team when actually motivated to play to his fullest potential, which admittedly was not often.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The timing of the defense sucking works out well with the trade of Dareus, doesn't it?

I have no idea if they have really "quit" or if it is related to Dareus...but Sal C. has always insisted that Dareus was viewed favorably by his fellow teammates and he was considered a good locker room guy, despite the fact that he was not very popular with fans.

It's possible the group was disheartened when we gave away the best (*) player on the team for nothing in return.

(*) denotes best player on team when actually motivated to play to his fullest potential, which admittedly was not often.

The numbers don't lie, especially when cross-referencing the Jaguars run D since the trade. 

The return in that trade was really lousy, but I'm trying to be patient in seeing Beane and McDermott's vision that shape. Despite early projections, the team was winning and if the trade for Kelvin Benjamin indicates the team was aiming to remain competitive, the trade for Dareus either indicates a gross overrating of the other DL talent or Dareus was truly a malcontent (and indications lately have said otherwise so I really don't know what to make of it).

To the point of the OP, I don't think the team quit necessarily, I just think holes in the defense are being exposed. 

All of the above, along with over dependence on LBs.

I don't know if LBs exist that can defend against the pass and also stop the run the way this defense is designed.  I don't know much about the intricacies of LB play, but it seems to me that they are critical cogs and the Bills don't have guys who can do everything that is being asked of them.  Heaven forbid the coaches revise their scheme to suit the guys they have instead of the mythical guys they want.

It's a real mystery.  I can't believe the reason is teams have figured us out after 7 games.  Also Dareus wasn't playing that often or that well prior to the trade.  To go from very good to very bad very quickly is really puzzling.  

Edited by bobm

50 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

The Bills were 5-2 with one the top defenses in the league: # 1 points/game I believe.  Then the bottom drops out.

Why would the defense give up like that?  Tired of carrying the Tyrod led offense, protesting the Dareus trade?  Rejecting the Bills coaching?

What have they given up rushing yards, like 600-700 yards?  Why when the team had a realistic chance of making the playoffs?  Or so we thought.

I just don't understand what happened...

FYI:  I am not a new member, but could not login to the new site, so

Member since 2001?

They havent quit. They just are not very good and the TOs that have been bailing them out have dried up

• Like (+1) 1

Even Dareus playing half speed was better than any player backing him up. Trading him in the middle of a playoff run for basically nothing in return is inexcusable. The team has suffered greatly since he left, I don't think the team quit, just not near as good as before the trade.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I am making a post that looks at some of this. It should be ready in an hour or so I hope in case you are interested.

But the take home is as far as I can tell they have not quit. It is for the reasons described by the other posters in here. Plus some very odd things they are doing sometimes.

A whole new post, won't that make somebody mad---without using the search option ?  Oh well I'll read your post.

It’s tough to call. Honestly, it is all the above. Dareus trade play a factor? Possibly. Towards the end, before his trade, he hardly played and was limited in snaps played. 

Preston Brown has been getting worked and the majority of the three games he has been picked on heavily. 

You are are only as strong as your weakest link. Game plans have been built around those weakest links. Leslie Frazier has a lot of work to do, as does Dennison. I actually like both coaches, but In today’s game if you can’t patch the holes— coaches get canned. 

Edited by KollegeStudnet

1.  It can't just be offensive coordinators "figuring us out."  This team literally went from one of the NFL's elite during the first 6-7 games, to historically bad over the last 3 weeks.  I'm a big believer in strategy and game planning.  But things don't flip THAT much by simply spotting tendencies on film.

2.  It can't just be the loss of Marcel Dareus decreasing our talent on the D-Line.  For starters, Dareus wasn't playing a high percentage of snaps.  And most of the writers who study All-22 replays will quickly tell you that Dareus wasn't even playing well. 

3.  It can't just be the lack of turnovers.  Although the interceptions and fumbles were HUGE boosts for helping us win those close games, it doesn't explain why our defense can't even make teams punt anymore

4.  The idea they are "tired" because the offense isn't playing well (too many 3-outs) is absolutely ridiculous.  Against the Jets, Saints and Chargers, this defense has been getting gashed from the opening drive.  Fatigue may be an excuse in the 4th quarter.  But the Bills defense has already let up 35+ by that point.

From a fan watching from his television... I see a team that WAS aggressive and flying to the ball early in the season, but is now jogging and half-a$$ing it.  I see a team that WAS showing fantastic tackling technique and gang tackling opponents, but now uses arm tackles and poor technique.  I see a team that WAS quick off the snap, but is now getting blown off the ball.  To me, these are all very clear signs of a team that has quit. 

In my opinion, the REAL question isn't what happened (it's obvious from watching us play every Sunday).  The REAL question is why they quit.  Why did a team that was 5-2 and in full control of a playoff spot, decided to throw in the towel on a 1st-Year coach?  Did something happen behind the scenes that hasn't been reported?

Part of me wonders if the trade of Dareus did something to the morale of this team.  Unlike the Sammy Watkins/Ronald Darby trades, which actually netted high draft picks and starting caliber players in return, the Dareus trade was nothing more than a mid-season salary dump.  You have to wonder if that particular trade sent a message to the other veterans.  You could also question how the trade for Kelvin Benjamin was viewed in the locker room.  Here you have a coach that preaches family, but seems to want everyone from the "old guard" gone and jumps at the chance to bring in guys from his old team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

A whole new post, won't that make somebody mad---without using the search option ?  Oh well I'll read your post.

I have spent about ten hours, at least, on the post i am making. And it hasn't been a joyous ten hours I had to look at that chargers game over and over and it is no fun. So yes, a new post that includes stuff about the defense is coming and I will make a thread. for it. That really needs to be ok!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think, as previously mentioned, it lies on a significant lack of talent at DL and LB.  They are starting back-up caliber players in those positions.  

So all of the sudden, they realized they are not good players?  What about the 1st 7 games?