If you worked your job like our Bills

major

Thought it would be fun to use rationales I read on this board in our own jobs. Try these lines on your employer and see where it gets you (if I missed any, feel free to add):

(1) I know my numbers are down for the past 17 years, but wait until next year

(2) I know I'm not producing like I used to, but I need you to "trust the process"

(3) we just need to hire a few more key positions and then our company will take off

(4) I don't regret my decision (tell that to your employer when you screw up)

(5) Lets tank this year (because what boss wouldn't want to hear this in the break room) 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

6) We made 50 million this season on 350 million in revenue.  

This hits the nail on the head.  It is a business. Success means different things to different businesses and the people that own them. Some businesses focus on bottom line results, other focus on product quality, others focus on customer satisfaction... etc. etc.

3 hours ago, simool said:

This hits the nail on the head.  It is a business. Success means different things to different businesses and the people that own them. Some businesses focus on bottom line results, other focus on product quality, others focus on customer satisfaction... etc. etc.

Yup.  Some teams get the George Steinbrenners, Jerry Joneses and Bob Krafts of the sports ownership world.

Some ... get Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula ....

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yup.  Some teams get the George Steinbrenners, Jerry Joneses and Bob Krafts of the sports ownership world.

A few years ago when he was still employed by the Sabres, Darcy Regier flat out acknowledged publicly that most ownerships in the NHL, at least, are basically in it to make up the numbers.  The game they play is to field a team cheaply enough but good enough to just make it into the playoffs, enjoy little to no success, but always sell hope, keep the fans happy most of the time with a fairly good product, MAKE $$$, but with no real intention of ever achieving more success than that in terms of wins.

This is not some conspiracy theory or secret.  Have a look around all sports leagues.

Most teams are terrible, most of the time.  Then you have a handful of franchises that are run well and do a lot of the winning over time.

What have the Pittsburgh Pirates done in the baseball world lately?  Yet the Steelers/Penguins are great franchises...

The St. Louis Blues can't buy a Stanely Cup, yet the Cardinals in baseball are one of the best run sports franchises in N.America.  They compete in or win the World Series like a freaking clock...every few years they are there.

Most sports franchises are mediocrities; Buffalo has had 2 of them since their inceptions.

Edited by Fadingpain

6 hours ago, major said:

Thought it would be fun to use rationales I read on this board in our own jobs. Try these lines on your employer and see where it gets you (if I missed any, feel free to add):

(2) I know I'm not producing like I used to, but I need you to "trust the process"

(3) we just need to hire a few more key positions and then our company will take off

-----------------You're Fired.------------------------------------------------

(5) Lets tank this year (because what boss wouldn't want to hear this in the break room) 

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't know what response emoticon to use.  Laugh because it is funny.  Cry because it's true.  Or say thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Different sport but the Lakers are a great example.  Under Dr. Jerry Buss they were always competitive and missed the playoffs something like 4 times in 30 years.  He passes control to the kids and they haven't made the playoffs since.

6 hours ago, major said:

(6.) We just gotta keep learning

(7). I trust you guys ( then proceeds to get rid of some workers or sends them to different places)

(8).  We just gotta evaluate

(9) I'm not here to make excuses lol