State of the Team

OldTimer1960

QB is a big problem, but it is nowhere near the biggest problem.

The defense has absolutely had the bottom drop out and that isn't due to whomever is playing QB.  The front 7 must be completely rebuilt.  Kyle Williams is aging and will retire and Jerry Hughes is making way too much money to have as little impact as he has had.  Preston Brown might be a starting MLB on a defense with a good DL and there are no other starting caliber LBs on this team. Beyond that, it is hard to know why to make of the secondary with no pass rush and horrible run D.

On offense, it hurt a lot for Benjamin to get hurt and Mathews has yet to be really healthy.  Missing Clay has been a big problem as well.  Yet, as bad as the receiving corp has been decimated, the OL is a bigger problem.  I did wonder if the run game struggles were due to defenses not having to worry about Taylor throwing even a mid-level pass, but today they allowed a complete jail break when Peterman was in.  Now, I am not sure if Taylor isn't taking chances in the passing game or if he has been making a terrible OL look better than they are.  On the flip side, did the OL get crushed because of the change from the ultra-Mobil Taylor?

whatever the case, it is clear that the defense is a humongous mess that HAS to be fixed before any talk of competitiveness is warranted.  The OL also MUST be fixed as well.  Yet, without hope at QB, what have you got?

A case could be mad to spend their 5 top 3 round picks on defense and OL, but the draft is also the only realistic place to find a decent QB that will give the team a chance.

What can they do in the offseason?  If they package picks for a QB, then the need to spend remaining picks and FA to give the drafted QB an OL and some threats at receiver.  If you do that, this wreck of a defense will still be giving up 40 points per game.  

Yet, if you spend your resources on defense, the offense will still be a mess.

I am not sure what they should do, but I expect an exodus of highly paid vets that are no longer helping - Kyle Williams to retirement, Jerry Hughes to be cut, Cordy Glenn to go in FA, Eric Wood to be let go...  What a mess!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The defense has absolutely had the bottom drop out and that isn't due to whomever is playing QB.  The front 7 must be completely rebuilt.  Kyle Williams is aging and will retire and Jerry Hughes is making way too much money to have as little impact as he has had.  Preston Brown might be a starting MLB on a defense with a good DL and there are no other starting caliber LBs on this team. Beyond that, it is hard to know why to make of the secondary with no pass rush and horrible run D.

On offense, it hurt a lot for Benjamin to get hurt and Mathews has yet to be really healthy.  Missing Clay has been a big problem as well.  Yet, as bad as the receiving corp has been decimated, the OL is a bigger problem.  I did wonder if the run game struggles were due to defenses not having to worry about Taylor throwing even a mid-level pass, but today they allowed a complete jail break when Peterman was in.  Now, I am not sure if Taylor isn't taking chances in the passing game or if he has been making a terrible OL look better than they are.  On the flip side, did the OL get crushed because of the change from the ultra-Mobil Taylor?

whatever the case, it is clear that the defense is a humongous mess that HAS to be fixed before any talk of competitiveness is warranted.  The OL also MUST be fixed as well.  Yet, without hope at QB, what have you got?

A case could be mad to spend their 5 top 3 round picks on defense and OL, but the draft is also the only realistic place to find a decent QB that will give the team a chance.

What can they do in the offseason?  If they package picks for a QB, then the need to spend remaining picks and FA to give the drafted QB an OL and some threats at receiver.  If you do that, this wreck of a defense will still be giving up 40 points per game.  

I am not sure what they should do, but I expect an exodus of highly paid vets that are no longer helping - Kyle Williams to retirement, Jerry Hughes to be cut, Cordy Glenn to go in FA, Eric Wood to be let go...  What a mess!

Well on the topic of letting players go. Eric Wood because of the insane extension and guaranteed money handed out by Mc Beane is not  going anywhere. Cordy is not the first good LT to ever be injured. Who is his replacement? Dawkins? No way. Jettisoning players and signing Carolina's trash is not a process. It is stupidity. 

It is going to take more than one offseason. I say focus on Qb in the draft and oline with remaining draft picks and target some good interior lineman in free agency. After we have a QB and oline in place we can worry about a defence the following year. 

There is no way I am bring a rookie Qb in behind this line though. 

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

How much  time you got ole timer, I’m as old as you, never gonna see it in my life

Edited by Helpmenow

2 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

How much  time you got ole timer, I’m as old as you, never gonna see it in my life

Sadly, I think you are right...

At this point, I would stay with Beane and McDemott - they inherited a mess and at least they seem to have some vision for what they want in the future.  They want a TEAM that is built first on competitiveness and effort and team-first attitude.  That is similar to what Bill Bellichek has built in NE.  Certainly, Bellicheck has benefitted by having HOFer Brady, but still the rest of their team embodies the ideals that McDermott is after...

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Sadly, I think you are right...

At this point, I would stay with Beane and McDemott - they inherited a mess and at least they seem to have some vision for what they want in the future.  They want a TEAM that is built first on competitiveness and effort and team-first attitude.  That is similar to what Bill Bellichek has built in NE.  Certainly, Bellicheck has benefitted by having HOFer Brady, but still the rest of their team embodies the ideals that McDermott is after...

They inherited a talented roster that was a good coach and defensive coordinator away from a serious playoff push.

They proceeded to gut the roster and ruin last year's 7th-best offense while making no improvements whatsoever on defense.

The excuses need to end.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Avisan said:

They inherited a talented roster that was a good coach and defensive coordinator away from a serious playoff push.

They proceeded to gut the roster and ruin last year's 7th-best offense while making no improvements whatsoever on defense.

The excuses need to end.

Quoted for truth.  

McBean fully owns the mess that this team is in.  The team they inherited wasn't playing nearly as poorly, nor was it devoid of tallent until they cut/traded them all away.   

Think about it.

They gutted FO and scouting departments and let the guy who just made the decision to play Peterman at this specific point in time lead the rebuild of that.

We fear 20 years? This can reach 30 easily

I'm being dramatic obviously, but just wow. I don't trust any of these guys judgment over there.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1