To everyone who was so adamant that the Bills start Peterman

Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Jacksonville has picked in the top 5 for about a decade. I don’t know how we can classify that tanking as working. They still don’t have a QB.

The Titans are in the same boat. They MAY have their franchise guy but it’s certainly debatable.

The Texans tanked when Watt went out for the season. He might have been the single best player in football at that point. They are good when healthy. They still haven’t won a thing though.

When did KC tank? When they drafted Eric Fisher 1st overall? That has nothing to do with why they are better. 

Panthers I agree with.

The Colts are the PERFECT example of why it’s tough to tank in football. They got a guy that most thought was the best prospect since Peyton. They haven’t won a damn thing and are pretty much a trash football team.

I would agree on the Lions too. It has benefitted them for sure. 

Jax picking high built the team that is carrying them right now to a probable postseason.  They are probably the most talented team in the league, position by position.  They got unlucky at QB but are a Cousins or Eli from a 12-4 SB run.

Titans went from worst in the league to 9-7.

Texans tanked back in 2013, Watt was healthy all year.  They got Clowney, who has come into his own as a dominant pass rusher and several other good players.

Between 2010 and 2013, KC drafted:

Eric Berry #5

Justin Houston

Dontari Poe

Travis Kelce

Some REALLY good players who contributed a lot to their playoff years.

Colts got unlucky.  They did it right and it almost worked.  Sometimes you get screwed. It happens.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We had people banging the drum to start EJ for 2 years and now Peterman. Anyone that believes either of those is a better option is an idiot. I’m sorry but you are. That doesn’t mean we can’t upgrade from Tyrod, but those guys are way worse. 

What do you think the Bills record would be if they had started EJ and Peterman since the start of 2015? My guess is that they would have beaten the Dolphins twice and the Colts in 2015, the Cardinals, Patriots, Rams, 49ers and Browns last year and the Jets and Raiders this year. That would have them at 10-33 over that span. That’s a .233 win percentage. Tyrod has a .538 win percentage in a Bills uniform with the same guys. 

Again, upgrading this offseason is something that we are all fine with. Pretending that he is as bad as EJ or Peterman is ridiculous. Let’s stop using those two interchangeably.

Hey, I agree that TT is the GOAT at .538 win %.  The long-term best plan is to see what NP can do.  With TT this year, we'll probably miss the playoffs with 8-8 or 9-7, then he's gone, and we're back to square one.  However, it would be great to make the playoffs, but we're getting short-term gratification at the expense of building a champion. 

On 11/30/2017 at 9:07 PM, reddogblitz said:

I really don't care about some goofy QB ranking.  Give me the Ws.

Not to mention as well that same dopey ranking has Aaron Rodgers somehow ranked 17th before his injury. 

And for those comparing the Giants situation to ours all I can say is really? One team is battling for a top three pick. The other is battling for the 5th or 6th seed in the playoffs still. Heck, they win tomorrow they are still battling for the division.  There is no comparison.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Another awful, awful take by jmc.:lol:

Jax tanked for 5 straight years and got Blake Bortles and now their salary cap is bloated.(Rams also tanked for 5 years and got nothing out of it from 2007-2011).

Marcus Mariotta has been awful.   Titans aren't really any better than the Bills and worse at the QB position by a considerable amount.  

Texans didn't tank........they traded up with Cleveland to get Watson.   Remember?  Bills could have just selected Watson.

KC got Eric Fisher for tanking......that was a complete fail........they turned it around by hiring Reid and acquiring Alex Smith for picks.

Cam and Luck are outstanding but they are the exceptions and have not been anywhere near the consistent level of a Manning, Brady, Rodgers etc.

Stafford will enter his TENTH season in Detroit next year with a career losing record as a starter.   He's proof that you can get what you want in tanking and still not be a contender over the course of the next decade.:lol:

A bloated salary cap!  Oh no!  Certainly the death knell of any organization.  Just ask the Saints!

Titans are 7-3 this year when Mariota plays homie.  But good call!

I'm not talking about the Texans in 2016. Hang in there.

See above in KC.

Stafford was the most clutch QB in the NFL last year and made the postseason several times. 

I want to win a Superbowl as much as anyone else, but you can't be a contender if you don't make it to the dance.  

Remember you argued players on IR are more valuable than players not on the roster?  Probably the silliest take I've heard in weeks.

Edited by jmc12290

Regardless of the results and outcome, Taylor's performance against the Saints was worthy of him being benched.  Regardless of what was said that move had everything to do with Taylor's performance not Peterman's growth.  Going back to Taylor was do able with the way the move was handled.  Sure Mcdermott has pie on his face but if the team plays with more urgency after the move then I would still consider it a success.  The team was falling back to the same season routine that has plagued the franchise for 17 years.  I am glad a coach decided to do something to change the course.  

Edited by Mat68

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Jax picking high built the team that is carrying them right now to a probable postseason.  They are probably the most talented team in the league, position by position.  They got unlucky at QB but are a Cousins or Eli from a 12-4 SB run.

Titans went from worst in the league to 9-7.

Texans tanked back in 2013, Watt was healthy all year.  They got Clowney, who has come into his own as a dominant pass rusher and several other good players.

Between 2010 and 2013, KC drafted:

Eric Berry #5

Justin Houston

Dontari Poe

Travis Kelce

Some REALLY good players who contributed a lot to their playoff years.

Colts got unlucky.  They did it right and it almost worked.  Sometimes you get screwed. It happens.

Drafting well and tanking are different things. The Saints were 7-9 last year and had one of the best drafts that I can remember. They will have the OROY and the DROY. Kelce and Houston were 3rd round picks. That’s good drafting not a result of tanking.

I agree that the Jags have a ton of talent. They didn’t tank and get good though. They were an awful football team that hit a few times in the draft. In addition they traded for a former All-pro DT and signed DPOY candidate. That wasn’t tanking working. That was good team building. They are a Super Bowl threat with a legit QB. They whiffed on that. Additionally, they whifffed on the 2nd overall pick with Joekel. Tanking hasn’t been why they are good. They’ve done a nice job in FA and hit on a few picks (Fournette and Ramsey). 

The Titans hit in the middle of the 1st on Conklin and Lewan. They then signed Murray and improved. It isn’t because they added the franchise QB.

That’s what we are talking about, teams that bottomed out to get a QB. The Lions and Panthers it worked for but that’s pretty much it.

12 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Hey, I agree that TT is the GOAT at .538 win %.  The long-term best plan is to see what NP can do.  With TT this year, we'll probably miss the playoffs with 8-8 or 9-7, then he's gone, and we're back to square one.  However, it would be great to make the playoffs, but we're getting short-term gratification at the expense of building a champion. 

NP is never going to be more than a backup. It’s possible he may not be on the roster next year. Why are we so worried about “seeing what he can do?” If that’s code for “lose games once we are out of playoff contention” I can get behind that. They are drafting a guy either way. They have to get it right. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Drafting well and tanking are different things. The Saints were 7-9 last year and had one of the best drafts that I can remember. They will have the OROY and the DROY. Kelce and Houston were 3rd round picks. That’s good drafting not a result of tanking.

I agree that the Jags have a ton of talent. They didn’t tank and get good though. They were an awful football team that hit a few times in the draft. In addition they traded for a former All-pro DT and signed DPOY candidate. That wasn’t tanking working. That was good team building. They are a Super Bowl threat with a legit QB. They whiffed on that. Additionally, they whifffed on the 2nd overall pick with Joekel. Tanking hasn’t been why they are good. They’ve done a nice job in FA and hit on a few picks (Fournette and Ramsey). 

The Titans hit in the middle of the 1st on Conklin and Lewan. They then signed Murray and improved. It isn’t because they added the franchise QB.

That’s what we are talking about, teams that bottomed out to get a QB. The Lions and Panthers it worked for but that’s pretty much it.

I know but I think there are several teams who bottomed out and got a non-QB talent infusion and that worked out as well.

I still contend it worked for the Colts. 

It would've worked for a team like the moronic Browns if they actually drafted Wentz.

If you're going to talk about trading up for a QB versus tanking to get one, you have to include RG3 and his ilk in the discussion.  

Edited by jmc12290

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Look at how the Eagles and Rams have turned it around this year. Neither one required a recent tank. They both traded up to go and get their franchise QB. Then they made some key free agent and coaching acquisitions. 

You don't have to tank to get better.

This.  Buffalo is never going to have a better opportunity to move up and get franchise caliber/ potential Qb than this year.  Even with Darnold staying at school their are 3-4 1st rd caliber qbs.  2 or 3 could even be top 10 top 5 caliber prospects.  With the way Watson performed that would seem to help Lamar Jackson's NFL Potential.  Find a team with a qb in the top 5 work out a package to move up and get your guy.  Buffalo has such a surplus of picks they have the ability to move to any position on the draft board and still have picks left over to improve the roster for the current year.  

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Regardless of the results and outcome, Taylor's performance against the Saints was worthy of him being benched.  Regardless of what was said that move had everything to do with Taylor's performance not Peterman's growth.  Going back to Taylor was do able with the way the move was handled.  Sure Mcdermott has pie on his face but if the team plays with more urgency after the move then I would still consider it a success.  The team was falling back to the same season routine that has plagued the franchise for 17 years.  I am glad a coach decided to do something to change the course.  

It was a total blunder.  Period, No excsusing or spinning into some positive. 

If you think Tyrod is even a decent NFL quarterback, you have no idea what you are watching! 

His limitations so far outweigh any strengths he has, it's almost laughable. Sure, he can run/scramble, that's it.

1. Won't throw a guy out of a break.

2. Wont' give WR any chance to make a play unless he's wide open.

3. Accuracy down field is poor, look at O'Leary pass late last week.

4. Weak at reading defenses.

5. Poor pocket presence.

6. Holds ball way to long.

We were lucky to win last week, nothing, NOTHING to do with his 188 yards passing.

He cost us the game at Carolina, refused to throw the damn ball to anyone other than McCoy.

A true quarterback has an attitude, fire, like Kelly had. He, has none of it. A great athlete, seems like a great guy, but if they bring him back next year, my 45 years of supporting this team are over. Two decades of pure horshot quarterback play has worn me out.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

I know but I think there are several teams who bottomed out and got a non-QB talent infusion and that worked out as well.

It would've worked for a team like the moronic Browns if they actually drafted Wentz.

If you're going to talk about trading up for a QB versus tanking to get one, you have to include RG3 and his ilk in the discussion.  

They got extremely lucky for Manning to have a severe neck injury the same time Luck and RG3 came out.  That franchise has not been run smart so I cannot think of a scenerio where they plan that tank.  They expected Manning back and were left with their pants down when he couldn't make it back on the field.  Much of the same way they were with Luck this year safe  for the trade for Brissett.  If they are that smart why not do the same thing this year.  Get a top 2 pick trade it to the highest bidder or Luck to the highest bidder.

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

NP is never going to be more than a backup. It’s possible he may not be on the roster next year. Why are we so worried about “seeing what he can do?” If that’s code for “lose games once we are out of playoff contention” I can get behind that. They are drafting a guy either way. They have to get it right. 

Can't really argue with your premise.  I don't think we'll ever get to see what NP can do.  I just know we'll need 30 points to beat Brady, and TT can't get'em.  Call me crazy, but quick-release maybe could if the OL would give him 3 secs.  To preempt your response, I know that's alot of would's and could's.

20 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Look at how the Eagles and Rams have turned it around this year. Neither one required a recent tank. They both traded up to go and get their franchise QB. Then they made some key free agent and coaching acquisitions. 

The obvious problem with trading up is you need a trade partner.  No guarantee.

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It was a total blunder.  Period, No excsusing or spinning into some positive. 

Yes Peterman crapping himself in La was bad and a bad look for the franchise but that team was heading in the same direction the team has went the last 10 years.  Taylor showed so little interest and effort vs the Saints I would not have been surprised if they stuck with Peterman even after his 5 int performance.   That was why Taylor was benched. sure the team is gonna sputter but as the Qb you do anything to try and right the ship, ig you dont it apears that you quit.  That is what it looked like to me.  Game was getting out of hand but he wasnt going to hurt his TD to INT ratio to try and make that game respectable.  Hell I respect Peterman still chucking the ball after 2 than 3 than 4 and than the 5th.  They took him out because he could have ended up with an amount no QB could have beaten, because he was going to keep throwing.  That is the complete opposite of the performance Taylor had vs No.  Sure its embarrassing but atleast I can respect this effort.

Edited by Mat68

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Yes Peterman crapping himself in La was bad and a bad look for the franchise but that team was heading in the same direction the team has went the last 10 years.  Taylor showed so little interest and effort vs the Saints I would not have been surprised if they stuck with Peterman even after his 5 int performance.   That was why Taylor was benched. sure the team is gonna sputter but as the Qb you do do anything to try and right the ship makes it apear that you quit.  That is what it looked like to me.  Hell I respect Peterman still chucking the ball after 2 than 3 than 4 and than the 5th.  They took him out because he could have ended up with an amount no QB could have beaten, because he was going to keep throwing.  That is the complete opposite of the performance Taylor had vs No.  Sure its embarrassing but atleast I can respect this effort.

This is complete nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

That’s fair with RG3 because that clearly failed. They got bailed out by their 4th round pick in Cousins but they don’t deserve credit for the trade up. It failed. 

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Yes Peterman crapping himself in La was bad and a bad look for the franchise but that team was heading in the same direction the team has went the last 10 years.  Taylor showed so little interest and effort vs the Saints I would not have been surprised if they stuck with Peterman even after his 5 int performance.   That was why Taylor was benched. sure the team is gonna sputter but as the Qb you do do anything to try and right the ship makes it apear that you quit.  That is what it looked like to me.  Hell I respect Peterman still chucking the ball after 2 than 3 than 4 and than the 5th.  They took him out because he could have ended up with an amount no QB could have beaten, because he was going to keep throwing.  That is the complete opposite of the performance Taylor had vs No.  Sure its embarrassing but atleast I can respect this effort.

Lets not forget WHO kept calling those pass plays!!

Dennison hung that poor kid out to dry.

9 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Can't really argue with your premise.  I don't think we'll ever get to see what NP can do.  I just know we'll need 30 points to beat Brady, and TT can't get'em.  Call me crazy, but quick-release maybe could if the OL would give him 3 secs.  To preempt your response, I know that's alot of would's and could's.

Tyrod led the 7th scoring offense (through 16 weeks) last year and a top 10 the year before. Scoring wasn’t an issue pre-Dennison. This Patriots team has holes. It might be the worst run defense in th league. That’s how you can win. Take care of the football and run all over them. That isn’t Peterman. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is complete nonsense. 

You watch the game?  What do you call checking it down on 3 straight 3rd and longs when your down by 14 than 21 than 28?  3 straight 3 and outs.  Either he was confused by a basic coverage, which was used three staight possessions, or you know the game is lost and dont was to throw an INT because you dont want to effect your stat line IE give up.  

Edited by Mat68

1 minute ago, cd1 said:

Third and 10 you can not call a screeen or draw every time.   Im not protecting Peterman's poor performance. Your an NFL qb you are going to need to perform like one regardless of draft status. 

Just now, Mat68 said:

You watch the game?  What do you call checking it down on 3 straight 3rd and longs when tour down by 14 than 21 than 28?  3 straight 3 and outs.  Either he was confused by a basic coverage, which was used three staight possessions, or you know the game is lost and dont was to throw an INT because you dont want to effect your stat line IE give up.  

That has nothing to do with little interest or effort.  No one who knows anyhthing would say that about Taylor.  Bad reads or not taking enough chances I can buy, but not what you asserted. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I used to feel the same way but looking at recent history it seems like teams these days are far more willing to wheel and deal in the first round of the draft.

In the first, perhaps, but not, IMO in the top 2.

Think about what had to happen for the Titans and Browns to trade down.  Titans already felt like they had the QB of the future on the roster.  The Browns are run by idiots.  

Now do the Browns trade out of #1 again this year?  I doubt it, Haslam will make them take a QB.  That makes #2 the target.  And we have to beat offers from other teams, as well as hope we have a team willing to dance with us.

Lots of moving parts.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fair too. That’s why the Jimmy G trade could be a blessing for us. The Bears and 49ers are targets. 

Agreed.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That has nothing to do with little interest or effort.  No one who knows anyhthing would say that about Taylor.  Bad reads or not taking enough chances I can buy, but not what you asserted. 

It was a terrible performance and I 100% question the effort of all 53 guys.  Taylor is the unquestioned leader and as leader he is in part responsible for his own effort and the teams overall.  Both were questionable at best and the result was dreadful.  His benching after that game to me is justified.  You can agree or disagree thats fine.  The thread wanted to hear from someone who thought Peterman should start.  I am saying I was ok with anyone starting in LA that wasn't Tyrod.  Peterman was just the next guy up.  I own a Taylor jersey, I think he still has the ablity to lead the team but that game wont get it done and wont keep you on the team.  

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It was a terrible performance and I 100% question the effort of all 53 guys.  Taylor is the unquestioned leader and as leader he is in part responsible for his own effort and the teams overall.  Both were questionable at best and the result was dreadful.  His benching after that game to me is justified.  You can agree or disagree thats fine.  The thread wanted to hear from someone who thought Peterman should start.  I am saying I was ok with anyone starting in LA that wasn't Tyrod.  Peterman was just the next guy up.  I own a Taylor jersey, I think he still has the ablity to lead the team but that game wont get it done and wont keep you on the team.  

Taylor is among the leadership group on the team and the defense was even more of a horror show against NO with leaders like Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander showing even worse than the QB. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Taylor is among the leadership group on the team and the defense was even more of a horror show against NO with leaders like Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander showing even worse than the QB. 

The offense equivalent for only stopping them once and that is turnover in the redzone to me would be picking up 1 first down and scoring 3 points.  Just so happens Taylor got both of those things on the first drive of the game.  We are splitting hairs.  The team played poor.  The offense played just as poor as the defense.  

Just now, Mat68 said:

The offense equivalent for only stopping them once and that is turnover in the redzone to me would be picking up 1 first down and scoring 3 points.  Just so happens Taylor got both of those things on the first drive of the game.  We are splitting hairs.  The team played poor.  The offense played just as poor as the defense.  

It was an all around crap fest for certain on that much we can agree. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

When was the last time Pittsburgh tanked? They went to the SB with Niel O'Donnell for crying out loud.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

2 of the best QBs were drafted in the 3rd and 6th rounds.   Brees on the second.

My point is there are as many ways to find a QB as there are ways to skin a cat.  The hard part is picking the right one when you have the chance, ie Russell Wilson, Watson, Drew Brees etc.

The Cardinals make a living out of being contenders with "washed up" QBs.  First Kurt Warner and then Carson Palmer.

19 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

When was the last time Pittsburgh tanked? They went to the SB with Niel O'Donnell for crying out loud.

2 of the best QBs were drafted in the 3rd and 6th rounds.   Brees on the second.

My point is there are as many ways to find a QB as there are ways to skin a cat.  The hard part is picking the right one when you have the chance, ie Russell Wilson, Watson, Drew Brees etc.

The Cardinals make a living out of being contenders with "washed up" QBs.  First Kurt Warner and then Carson Palmer.

This is literally not true.  You have a way better chance finding a QB in the first round than any other round.

Wilson, Brees and Brady are not and will never be the norm.  They are lottery tickets.  They do not represent any logical strategy to follow.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

This is literally not true.  You have a way better chance finding a QB in the first round than any other round.

Wilson, Brees and Brady are not and will never be the norm.  They are lottery tickets.  They do not represent any logical strategy to follow.

Anyone not drafted in the first round is a lottery ticket?

The Bills had Russell Wilson to our facility a couple of times before the draft. Russell says he thought we the Bills were going to draft him.  That's not a lottery ticket, that's spending your kids college fund on a fast shiny car that will only last a couple years or something. Its just plain dumb. We need to draft smarter.

We could have drafted Watson without tanking or trading up with our own pick.

Do you really trust McDermott and company picking QBs? They thought Nate was ready to play and passed on Watson.  I have serious concerns.

We didn't tank and we ain't tankin' and we ain't gonna tank. 

Edited by reddogblitz

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

You watch the game?  What do you call checking it down on 3 straight 3rd and longs when your down by 14 than 21 than 28?  3 straight 3 and outs.  Either he was confused by a basic coverage, which was used three staight possessions, or you know the game is lost and dont was to throw an INT because you dont want to effect your stat line IE give up.  

Actually he’s unreasonable when it comes to TT.   Benching him for a guy he doesn’t like very much must have hurt.  

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

The Bills had Russell Wilson to our facility a couple of times before the draft. Russell says he thought we the Bills were going to draft him.  That's not a lottery ticket, that's spending your kids college fund on a fast shiny car that will only last a couple years or something. Its just plain dumb. We need to draft smarter.

Do you really trust McDermott and company picking QBs? They thought Nate was ready to play and passed on Watson.  I have serious concerns.

I trust nobody picking QB's because they are all varying degrees of lottery tickets.  It's just that picks outside the first round actually do approach lotto odds, whereas 1st round QB's have much higher odds of success.

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

At 14-3 he Thomson at the 26 on a 35 yard pass that he dropped.  On third and 2 before half 17-3 Dennison called a draw to Tolbert.  

The second half a 26 yard passed was called back on a holding penalty, clay bobbled and then was intercepted and NO ran 24 straight draw plays!!!!  Yes blame it all on 9-18 & 56 yards.

4 hours ago, cd1 said:

No he wanted him to throw for 300 and say "I told you so".

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

And yet in the previous game against the Jets, Taylor played well (and hard) for sixty minutes while much of the team was as flat as a pancake. That included the o-line, which led to TT getting hammered all game. Who was benched after that game? How does that fit with your theory? In the Jets game, McCoy got 25yds at 2.1 yards per carry. Maybe he should have been benched? Yes, McCoy is easily the best running back on the team and is hampered by blocking and scheme, but you don't seem to be the kind of guy who accepts those kinds of excuses. At least not where Taylor is concerned. The bottom line? Taylor played well against the Bucs, Raiders and Jets - had a bad game against the Saints - and then was benched. Meanwhile, the defense is giving-up a league worst 400 yds of offense per game in that stretch, but why quibble over that? The "leadership" thingie for McDermott to do was bench Taylor, right?

Edited by grb

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Brees and Wilson lasted longer then they should have for one reason (maybe two for Wilson) because they were short.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Dennison coaching Watson.  That would have been a disaster.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At 14-3 he Thomson at the 26 on a 35 yard pass that he dropped.  On third and 2 before half 17-3 Dennison called a draw to Tolbert.  

The second half a 26 yard passed was called back on a holding penalty, clay bobbled and then was intercepted and NO ran 24 straight draw plays!!!!  Yes blame it all on 9-18 & 56 yards.

No he wanted him to throw for 300 and say "I told you so".

...pretty effin pathetic to see a rook who went through minis, OTA's, TC ,pre-season and some scant mop up duty in regular season get roasted like this after ONE disastrous start....the pigeon dropping stained WELCOME MAT is rolled out for any kid daring to come here....and Darnold is worried about going to Cleveland....come here Sam, the droppings are fresher......the keyboard yipsters await....good Lord......

• Like (+1) 1