The LA Rams 2017 Turnaround

26CornerBlitz

Good for them, they got a whole new coaching staff and had a ton of cap room to make a lot of moves this off-season to go with some really good players already in key positions. 

Many here would have take woods back, but just not at the salary he was looking and going to get. They had the space to pay big for him this year. They had a lot of pieces in place already and brought in one of the best DCs in the league. They got rid of their real problem holding them back in an out of date over rated HC in Fisher.

Bit they aren't perfect , they did waste and early pick on a RB which we all know are a dime a dozen......

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? Are the Bills as talented as the Rams?

I'd say the Rams are more talented than the Bills in both the trenches, LB, and offensive skill positions (except RB).  Plus they've acquired talent, we largely bled talent that did not suit McDermott's vision of a team. So McDermott has done more with less.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

Mcdermott has done a LOT while simultaneously jettisoning most of the roster and putting us in an excellent position going into 2018.

I'm definitely impressed playoff birth or not.

Looking forward to Buffalos future but not sold on Dennison. Sometimes he seems good.. other times not so much.

Hard to evaluate with Taylor

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No. But McVay has actually built something in LA that will likely be very good for a number of years to come.

IF the Bills make the playoffs, in a down year for the AFC, they surely won't be favorites to make the playoffs again next season. 

27 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd say the Rams are more talented than the Bills in both the trenches, LB, and offensive skill positions (except RB).  Plus they've acquired talent, we largely bled talent that did not suit McDermott's vision of a team. So McDermott has done more with less.

I see that as subjective. How does one go about quantifying the success the Rams have had vs. the Bills.

Rams have two more wins then the Bills on the season while playing a tougher SOS and having a higher SOV percentage.

Rams are the highest scoring team in the league.  (Bills 10th worst)

Rams have the 5th best scoring defense in the league. (Bills right in the middle at 16)

Rams have the best point differential in the league at +166. (Bills -42 is the worst of any team with a .500 record or better).

While I agree it's probably a miracle this team is 8-6, I can't easily say McDermott has done more than McVay even factoring in the rosters. The Rams are completely dominating the league in some categories.

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I see that as subjective. How does one go about quantifying the success the Rams have had vs. the Bills.

Rams have two more wins then the Bills on the season while playing a tougher SOS and having a higher SOV percentage.

Rams are the highest scoring team in the league.  (Bills 10th worst)

Rams have the 5th best scoring defense in the league. (Bills right in the middle at 16)

Rams have the best point differential in the league at +166. (Bills -42 is the worst of any team with a .500 record or better).

While I agree it's probably a miracle this team is 8-6, I can't easily say McDermott has done more than McVay even factoring in the rosters. The Rams are completely dominating the league in some categories.

And that's the point.  This team could easily be much worse than 8-6 right now (maybe 4-10 worse).  I think McDermott has done a tremendous job of building a cohesive unit out of a group of largely no-name jags; all while shedding guys who don't share (or fit in) with his vision of a team going forward.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Mcvay took a team with a worse record and made them one of the best. To SW'sRib's point above I think it's infinitely harder to take a team with no winning culture and turn it around like that. And why can't we ding McDermott for not building around his preexisting talent that he inherited? If McVay didn't need to gut the roster like McDermott did than it's all the more impressive. He made his "scheme" fit his personnel.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2017 at 6:39 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Getting Wade Phillips to coordinate the defense is beginning to pay dividends for them beyond the other changes. 

This is quite likely what will propel them to the NFC championship game...