The LA Rams 2017 Turnaround

26CornerBlitz

If the end result is both teams making the playoffs (with us having a MASSIVE disadvantage with New England in division) it's hard to say that mcvay's been more impressive. Flashier, yes. But more impressive?

Edited by joesixpack

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Mcvay took a team with a worse record and made them one of the best. To SW'sRib's point above I think it's infinitely harder to take a team with no winning culture and turn it around like that. And why can't we ding McDermott for not building around his preexisting talent that he inherited? If McVay didn't need to gut the roster like McDermott did than it's all the more impressive. He made his "scheme" fit his personnel.

While McVay certainly deserves his praise, he took a fairly talented  team in a fairly weak division and the added  some more talent. Meanwhile the Bills are essentially in a rebuild and are competing for a playoff berth in a much tougher division. I know it galls many of you to admit it but McDermott is doing a great job overall.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

While McVay certainly deserves his praise, he took a fairly talented  team in a fairly weak division and the added  some more talent. Meanwhile the Bills are essentially in a rebuild and are competing for a playoff berth in a much tougher division. I know it galls many of you to admit it but McDermott is doing a great job overall.

McD has done a great job (ignoring the Chargers game). McVay has done a phenomenal job. Should be coach of the year.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

5 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

McD has done a great job (ignoring the Chargers game). McVay has done a phenomenal job. Should be coach of the year.

I don't disagree. But McD will get stronger consideration if the Bills make the playoffs.

Well they sucked for years, drafted some studs, upgraded basically all of their receivers this year, added some good OL help.

Oh, they also had the first overall pick last year and despite him having a pretty gross year, was playing with no weapons and a coach who last had a good season 10 years ago. So that first overall pick had some new weapons, some better OL help and an offensive minded coach to help him.

McVay was the perfect choice for them, but it’s not all him. If McVay had last years team, I doubt they’d have 8 wins now.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Well they sucked for years, drafted some studs, upgraded basically all of their receivers this year, added some good OL help.

Oh, they also had the first overall pick last year and despite him having a pretty gross year, was playing with no weapons and a coach who last had a good season 10 years ago. So that first overall pick had some new weapons, some better OL help and an offensive minded coach to help him.

McVay was the perfect choice for them, but it’s not all him. If McVay had last years team, I doubt they’d have 8 wins now.

McVay did have last year's team. He went out and drafted and signed player to turn them into this year's team.

The Rams have been a team on the rise the past couple of years...........you could see they had a solid foundation with a pretty decent D and started building from there by providing some more offensive weapons (weapons that we provided, i might add).

Some teams sink to the bottom and rise once again............and some teams just sink with never a chance for daylight again.

7 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

McVay did have last year's team. He went out and drafted and signed player to turn them into this year's team.

Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Whitworth were all on last years team?

Ok man! Thanks for missing the entire point. Which you missed.

I'm sure the coaching is a major factor in the Rams improvement.  I think the other factor is Goff.  In retrospect, he probably needed a year to transition out of college and an unconventional offense before he was really ready to play in the NFL.  Every QB is different.  I personally don't expect that Tyrod will experience a miracle improvement in his QB play no matter who is the coach.  He is who he is.

This isn't a one-year turnaround. It's a team that's been putting together very good personnel for a while now.

They have drafted really well the past few years. Were generally considered a QB away from competing for the Super Bowl. Has coaching helped make Goff look much better? Yeah, absolutely. Has Goff's second-year improvement made the coaches look much better too? Yup, without question.

It was a combination of many things, the got better play on the OL, they got rid of Jeff Fisher who is a team killer to begin with and replaced him with a bright, young offensive mind in McVey, adding Wade Phillips as DC was huge and although I'm not a Watkins fan the combination of he/Woods and Kupp takes the pressure off Gurley who is having a monstrous year and the #1 reason is because Goff took the next step needed as a QB, he is turning himself into a franchise QB for the Rams.