Peterman Arm Strength

Shaw66

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, adjusting the timing means you have to adjust the timing, early or late.

My understanding of how it goes for a WCO based on timing routes is, you work out your timing for a guy running an unimpeded route on a good field.  Normally you have to slow the timing a bit to account for physical contact with the WR slowing him down, sub-optimal field conditions, WR fatigue or injury etc.  I'm happy to be corrected, but this is what logically makes sense.

Where I can see velocity mattering is in a broken play where WR and QB are improvising, and the QB sees something and has a tight window to get it in there.

I'm not quite sure that's true.  One extreme example would be Fitzpatrick, to make a long throw, he had to involve his whole body (possibly due to improper lower body mechanics).

I was talking about things like the bolded language, not how the WCO works in the ideal.  And it isn't only when you're improvising.   There are plenty of plays designed for the 

qb to throw when he recognizes something.   Like an out pattern.  Two qbs, different arm strength, the guy with the weaker arm has to release the ball earlier than the other in order to get the ball there on time.  That means he has to recognize his key earlier than the other guy, which means he has less time to look at what's happening before deciding.  That's a disadvantage, because the longer you have to look at the play develop, the better your decision making will be.  

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Shaw66 said:

I agree.   Some of that is athleticism, but as you say, he has practiced.   He's learned to throw the ball from all kinds of positions.   

Watch the replays when he makes those throws.  He always finds a way to get his body, particularly his upper body, into the throw.  It's often just a quick twitch, but it gives him to deliver the ball on a line instead of throwing a wounded duck. 

Everybody says this, but I don't think there are plenty.  Or even a few. 

If I have a strong arm and I think quickly, I'm better than your guy who thinks quickly with a weak arm.  Can you say FItzpatrick?

I agree with you that the strong arm /think quickly combo is the best of course. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.Johnny U comes to mind. His arm strength was a joke.

RE: Fitzpatrick...His arm was a joke of course. But I also think he is not a very intelligent football player despite his high IQ. So I don't think he was a quick thinker out there.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/edit?usp=drivesdk

The biggest thing to take from this (which has now been tracked since 2008) is that QBs with velocity of 55 or less, just simply haven't been successful in the long-term. Here is a good article. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2017/3/10/14890754/cleveland-browns-2017-nfl-scouting-combine-qb-velocity

Hoping for the best for Peterman but I don't think it matter who the QB is because the OLine and Dennison are absolutely horrendous. 

Agreed, Shaw, this is the question with Peterman. Or anyway, the most obvious question that we yet have any information about beyond the obvious ... a lack of experience at NFL level.

I think he needs to go to a QB coach during the offseason. Increasing your arm strength is possible. It doesn't seem to be common, but it's been done, generally through coaching on the fundamentals of the throwing motion. Both Aaron Rodgers and Brady have improved their arm strength. But not everybody does. I'm hoping he can and does. 

But my guess is that we're going to be drafting a QB early next year if we can possibly get early enough to get a guy we like.

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I was talking about things like the bolded language, not how the WCO works in the ideal.  And it isn't only when you're improvising.   There are plenty of plays designed for the 

qb to throw when he recognizes something.   Like an out pattern.  Two qbs, different arm strength, the guy with the weaker arm has to release the ball earlier than the other in order to get the ball there on time.  That means he has to recognize his key earlier than the other guy, which means he has less time to look at what's happening before deciding.  That's a disadvantage, because the longer you have to look at the play develop, the better your decision making will be.  

Speed matters, but worth remembering that other factors affect how little/much time you have to throw. For example, speed of decision-making and speed of release. I'd argue that decision-making speed is the most important of the three. Peterman appears to be very good at that, though it's very early days.

8 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/edit?usp=drivesdk

The biggest thing to take from this (which has now been tracked since 2008) is that QBs with velocity of 55 or less, just simply haven't been successful in the long-term. Here is a good article. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2017/3/10/14890754/cleveland-browns-2017-nfl-scouting-combine-qb-velocity

Hoping for the best for Peterman but I don't think it matter who the QB is because the OLine and Dennison are absolutely horrendous. 

Funny that the only rookie QB who has looked like he'll be worth anything was Watson with a 49 MPH BV.  Oh and BTW, Peterman is 6' 2-5/8", not 6' 2-1/8", so he's actually closer to 6' 3".

I have to admit that after seeing Watson's BV, along with being just 6' 2" and having been surrounded with talent at Clemson, I thought he'd be a bust.  Goes to show you that it's not that easy to predict a QB's success in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Speed matters, but worth remembering that other factors affect how little/much time you have to throw. For example, speed of decision-making and speed of release. I'd argue that decision-making speed is the most important of the three. Peterman appears to be very good at that, though it's very early days.

Yup.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Funny that the only rookie QB who has looked like he'll be worth anything was Watson with a 49 MPH BV.  Oh and BTW, Peterman is 6' 2-5/8", not 6' 2-1/8", so he's actually closer to 6' 3".

I have to admit that after seeing Watson's BV, along with being just 6' 2" and having been surrounded with talent at Clemson, I thought he'd be a bust.  Goes to show you that it's not that easy to predict a QB's success in the NFL.  

Watson has started 6 games. That's it. Small sample size cherry picks like that prove nothing. Even if somehow Watson becomes great, he is nothing more than an outlier. If you look at that list and glean anything, it should be obvious that quarterbacks who are sub 55 velocity don't ever work out. That's exactly what the data says and there is a lot more of that data then there is of Watson and his 6 games. 

Everyone is hoping that Peterman is an outlier but statistically speaking, it doesn't look promising. 

14 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Watson has started 6 games. That's it. Small sample size cherry picks like that prove nothing. Even if somehow Watson becomes great, he is nothing more than an outlier. If you look at that list and glean anything, it should be obvious that quarterbacks who are sub 55 velocity don't ever work out. That's exactly what the data says and there is a lot more of that data then there is of Watson and his 6 games. 

Everyone is hoping that Peterman is an outlier but statistically speaking, it doesn't look promising. 

We shall find out soon.

34 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

i don't buy your entire argument here. Peterman was clocked at what, 53mph? that is 2 mph slower then the bottom rung of your supposed metric. do you honestly think that he can't improve the velocity of his throw by 2 mph, minimum?

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i don't buy your entire argument here. Peterman was clocked at what, 53mph? that is 2 mph slower then the bottom rung of your supposed metric. do you honestly think that he can't improve the velocity of his throw by 2 mph, minimum?

It's not my metric but I definitely believe in the data. That 2 MPH slower velocity equates to 3 feet traveled on a 20 yard throw. Which is a huge passing window in the NFL. It's the difference between a completion and a turnover from an NFL level corner. 

The data shows very clearly that sub 55 velocity is a deathknell for quarterback prospects. 

Just now, Theshallowcross said:

It's not my metric but I definitely believe in the data. That 2 MPH slower velocity equates to 3 feet traveled on a 20 yard throw. Which is a huge passing window in the NFL. It's the difference between a completion and a turnover from an NFL level corner. 

The data shows very clearly that sub 55 velocity is a deathknell for quarterback prospects. 

just guessing here but there should be ways to compensate for this. what your example refers to essentially boils down to timing. Nate knows how he is going to deliver the ball and he makes the required dynamic adjustment to do what needs to be done to get his throw there. if that means he throws the out 21 yards to make up for that 1 yard lost in velosity, he does it.

there is much more to the equation than simple velocity.

The only thing that matters is your ability to read defenses and anticipate throws. How many "physically gifted" QBs have we seen come and go in the league and never amount to anything? People always think they are going to create some metric or find some statistic that's going to prove this or that about a guy. It's NEVER going to happen. Football has been around for more than 100 years and no one has come up with it yet.

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

just guessing here but there should be ways to compensate for this. what your example refers to essentially boils down to timing. Nate knows how he is going to deliver the ball and he makes the required dynamic adjustment to do what needs to be done to get his throw there. if that means he throws the out 21 yards to make up for that 1 yard lost in velosity, he does it.

there is much more to the equation than simple velocity.

What it boils down to is velocity. Nothing more nothing less. I understand that we all want to try and explain away the data but sometimes it just is what it is and what it is, is that no sub 55 passer has ever broken the trend. 

Expecting a 5th round rookie who never carried an offense even in college to do so probably won't end well. Taylors velocity was sub 55 and he is now on the bench. That sub 55 velocity will become even more of a big deal when you're throwing in the elements in Western New York where its cold and windy. 

Again, I hope I'm wrong and I hope that Peterman is the exception to the rule, the outlier, but I wouldn't bet against the data. 

9 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

What it boils down to is velocity. Nothing more nothing less. I understand that we all want to try and explain away the data but sometimes it just is what it is and what it is, is that no sub 55 passer has ever broken the trend. 

Expecting a 5th round rookie who never carried an offense even in college to do so probably won't end well. Taylors velocity was sub 55 and he is now on the bench. That sub 55 velocity will become even more of a big deal when you're throwing in the elements in Western New York where its cold and windy. 

Again, I hope I'm wrong and I hope that Peterman is the exception to the rule, the outlier, but I wouldn't bet against the data. 

i don't agree but you are as entitled to your opinion as i am mine.

cheers

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Theshallowcross said:

Dak Prescott was a 54. Is he another outlier too? 2 outliers in 2 years. I’ll take my chances.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:30 PM, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes and no. What you say is true but guys don't want to catch a ball that is going 60 miles an hour. So this really only applies on the long ball as in your example, when it has had time to slow down some.

And to be a pain :D there is also the arc of the ball to be considered and the calculations of wind resistance and deceleration on a 60 mph versus a 50 mph one. I have no idea if it is different, but it could require adjustments to your calculations there!

I really want to see Peterman play because I want to see if the whole arm strength thing is overblown.....

If your accurate....IT DONT MATTER the only concern is not being able to make certain throws where the ball hangs.....and you simply dont make those throws

• Like (+1) 1

On November 17, 2017 at 9:42 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Fitz would just make inaccurate throws even if the decision was right.   He could be pinpoint at times......like the Baltimore game in 2010........ and then inexplicably wild high AND low in others and you don't see that from the Rodgers/Brady/Brees types that so many Bills fans here can only see thru their very FAR-SIGHTED lens.

Peterman has shown he can and will make bad throws......if you don't want to look at it much check out that Senior Bowl highlight video posted where he totally skies a ball 10 feet off the mark from short range to Zay Jones in the end zone........that's what he's shown.......... and when you are needing 7 passes to get down the field all the time that increases your chances of a big mistake.

Bills offense under Roman/Lynn was about big plays.........which they LEAD THE NFL in two years in a row with Tyrod at QB.   When the personnel was injured at WR he threw more short passes but his impact on the running game mean't they didn't have to throw a lot of passes EVEN THEN.

But Tyrod's main value wasn't his legs he brings a number of things to the table of equal importance including the ability to make spectacular big/deep throws and protecting the football.......they worked in unison.  But he needs to be surrounded with complementary talent to give you a top offense like the team had last year.   

One thing Peterman isn't likely to bring to the table is a running game.   That's scheme related and the short-to-intermediate passing game clogs the front 7 so you really need to be surgical or you can complete 25-30 passes in a game and still not be scoring points. 

And please don't be the person who tries to claim they didn't have an excellent offense last year............it was their best since 1991.

I am excited to see Peterman play because he's new and I know that for better or worse McD is going down with his guys regardless.

It's like Rex with his scheme.........it was going to work or fail in spectacular fashion there was certainly no in between and McD is going to live and die with his bold personnel decisions.   Won't take 3 years to see if he is capable of executing his vision, we will know by the end of next season so I like that he's started his own clock ticking at least.    

Inaccuracy issues plus a weak arm are why he was there in round 5.   

Not saying either can't be fixed but that's why he was there.

Good post. Sums it up.

On November 17, 2017 at 9:42 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Edited by dave mcbride

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Dak Prescott was a 54. Is he another outlier too? 2 outliers in 2 years. I’ll take my chances.

Do you not understand what the word outlier means? It's also entirely too early to say that Watson or Prescott are outliers. Watson especially. Prescott has a pretty great situation he is in. A top offensive line (the Bills still have a crap OL) and a top running game. Without his LT and his star RB last week, he looked horrendous. 

The data is there for everyone to see. Take what you want from it. Peterman being successful would be an absolute long shot. But that's ok because we have the ammunition to move up and draft Josh Rosen. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I agree that decision making is the most critical factor.  And speed of release is probably second.  But when those are equal in 2 qbs, arm strength limits the guy with the weaker arm.  And speed of release is affected by arm strength.  The guy with the weak arm needs more of a wind up to zip the ball, and the wind up takes time.  

From what we've seen it looks like Peterman is excellent on the decision making end and that's what's encouraging. 

11 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I really want to see Peterman play because I want to see if the whole arm strength thing is overblown.....

If your accurate....IT DONT MATTER the only concern is not being able to make certain throws where the ball hangs.....and you simply dont make those throws

Don't you see that if the defense knows you can't and won't make certain throws the defense has an advantage that they don't have against better qbs?

4 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Do you not understand what the word outlier means? It's also entirely too early to say that Watson or Prescott are outliers. Watson especially. Prescott has a pretty great situation he is in. A top offensive line (the Bills still have a crap OL) and a top running game. Without his LT and his star RB last week, he looked horrendous. 

The data is there for everyone to see. Take what you want from it. Peterman being successful would be an absolute long shot. But that's ok because we have the ammunition to move up and draft Josh Rosen. 

You also didn’t mention that a bunch of QBs didn’t have any ball velocity measurements recorded. You’re throwing out Watson and Prescott because they don’t fit your narrative. Ball velocity is important but you can easily make up for it with quick decision making. Like you said there might be a 3 ft difference,

so if Peterman is 0.5 seconds faster than a QB with a 5 mph higher velocity doesn’t that make up the difference?

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree that decision making is the most critical factor.  And speed of release is probably second.  But when those are equal in 2 qbs, arm strength limits the guy with the weaker arm.  And speed of release is affected by arm strength.  The guy with the weak arm needs more of a wind up to zip the ball, and the wind up takes time.  

From what we've seen it looks like Peterman is excellent on the decision making end and that's what's encouraging. 

Don't you see that if the defense knows you can't and won't make certain throws the defense has an advantage that they don't have against better qbs?

Shaw...with all due respect we are seeing it.......because that is what they are doing with Tyrod.

Accuracy is an important thing to me......the one thing that I simply could not ignore at the end is the ball was not coming out on time with TT......now...I love Tyrod he has a lot of things that other qbs cant do but they have nothing do with throwing the ball.........

They have biult a offense that a 3 step and fire accurate qb can actually take advantage of.....we wont see a lot of deep throws but dont have the horses for it anyway.....and god forbid we actually make teams pay for stacking against the run

1 hour ago, Theshallowcross said:

I figure this is a stastical anomoly and that 55 is not a magic number.

But, if it is a magic number it probably isn't magic for the reason you say.

Because look at the numbers in another way.

53 miles per hour peterman speed is 77 feet per second.

So it travels 7.7 feet in one tenth of a second, and travels 3 feet in 38 hundredths of a second.

The NFL game is fast but a ball arriving 38 hundredths of a second  later can not possibly be a deal breaker.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You also didn’t mention that a bunch of QBs didn’t have any ball velocity measurements recorded. You’re throwing out Watson and Prescott because they don’t fit your narrative. Ball velocity is important but you can easily make up for it with quick decision making. Like you said there might be a 3 ft difference,

so if Peterman is 0.5 seconds faster than a QB with a 5 mph higher velocity doesn’t that make up the difference?

You're more than welcome to take the underdog in the face of the data side of the argument and I hope that you're right. That would mean that we could take the 5 picks that we have in the first 3 rounds and add young talent to a middling roster as opposed to packaging all those picks for a QB. 

It's not my narrative so chill out. It's pure unbiased data. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It makes up 12 times the difference

49 minutes ago, Luka said:

The only thing that matters is your ability to read defenses and anticipate throws. How many "physically gifted" QBs have we seen come and go in the league and never amount to anything? People always think they are going to create some metric or find some statistic that's going to prove this or that about a guy. It's NEVER going to happen. Football has been around for more than 100 years and no one has come up with it yet.

Accuracy and what you are saying are more important hands down than strength IMO.

If this was baseball would people rather have a pitcher that can throw 105MPH ball with zero control or accuracy, or a pitcher that can throw 90MPH with superior control/accuracy anywhere inside or outside the strike zone? It's very, very similar.

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Accuracy and what you are saying are more important hands down than strength IMO.

If this was baseball would people rather have a pitcher that can throw 105MPH ball with zero control or accuracy, or a pitcher that can throw 90MPH with superior control/accuracy anywhere inside or outside the strike zone? It's very, very similar.

Velocity and arm strength are not one in the same. I just want to point that out. 

20 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Velocity and arm strength are not one in the same. I just want to point that out. 

They go hand and hand. Mechanics can be adjusted to improve velocity but the most important factor to velocity starts with arm strength.

Regardless, arm strength/velocity is not nearly the end all factor for a good QB --> a Smart QB with Accuracy  and Anticipation outweighs all and should be the measuring stick I would want our QB scouts using. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1587707-the-most-important-traits-to-scout-for-nfl-qb-draft-prospects

Edited by Real McCoy

20 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

You're more than welcome to take the underdog in the face of the data side of the argument and I hope that you're right. That would mean that we could take the 5 picks that we have in the first 3 rounds and add young talent to a middling roster as opposed to packaging all those picks for a QB. 

It's not my narrative so chill out. It's pure unbiased data. 

Well, it's data.  You'd think that the guys with higher BV would be the best QB's because they can get the ball there faster.  But apparently guys with 55-56 BV make more Pro Bowls.

9 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

They go hand and hand.

Regardless, arm strength/velocity is not nearly the end all factor for a good QB --> a Smart QB with Accuracy  and Anticipation outweighs all and should be the measuring stick I would want our QB scouts using. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1587707-the-most-important-traits-to-scout-for-nfl-qb-draft-prospects

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, it's data.  You'd think that the guys with higher BV would be the best QB's because they can get the ball there faster.  But apparently guys with 55-56 BV make more Pro Bowls.

Well there are definitely other factors to take into account. I was NOT trying to imply that QB velocity is the end all be all. What I am saying is that the data shows clearly that any sub 55 passer hasn't had long term success. 

Like I said before, Taylor was a sub 55 velocity passer and he is now on the bench. This isn't to take shots at Peterman. I posted the data. The data shows that it isn't likely for him to be successful long term just as Taylor wasn't successful long-term. The fact that he was ALSO a 5th round pick doesn't bode well for him either. When you pair these things together it points to the Bills drafting a QB high in next Aprils draft. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

36 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Well there are definitely other factors to take into account. I was NOT trying to imply that QB velocity is the end all be all. What I am saying is that the data shows clearly that any sub 55 passer hasn't had long term success. 

Like I said before, Taylor was a sub 55 velocity passer and he is now on the bench. This isn't to take shots at Peterman. I posted the data. The data shows that it isn't likely for him to be successful long term just as Taylor wasn't successful long-term. The fact that he was ALSO a 5th round pick doesn't bode well for him either. When you pair these things together it points to the Bills drafting a QB high in next Aprils draft. 

Do you think Tyrod’s ball velocity has anything to do with why he’s now on the bench? And no, past data with a small sample size doesn’t imply anything about the future.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think Tyrod’s ball velocity has anything to do with why he’s now on the bench? And no, past data with a small sample size doesn’t imply anything about the future.

Yes. Actually I do believe velocity is a reason Taylor is on the bench. His inability to make throws into tight windows because of his velocity made him timid and risk averse. 

Small sample size is 6 games or 16 games not 9 years of data. 

1 minute ago, Theshallowcross said:

Yes. Actually I do believe velocity is a reason Taylor is on the bench. His inability to make throws into tight windows because of his velocity made him timid and risk averse. 

Small sample size is 6 games or 16 games not 9 years of data. 

JMO but I think accuracy (and everything that contributes to it) has much more to do with it in Tyrod's case. Thats what (rightly) makes him risk averse.

Y'know I like Rosen and Darnold too, but I seriously doubt we get to draft either one of those guys.