The Last 5-4 Team to Sit a Vet for a Rookie?

BisonMan

This year The defense has carried the team a couple of times to pull out a win.

The kicking game carried the team for at least one win.

The running game carried the team for at least one win.

When it is the passing games "turn" to carry the team, nothing happens.

We may be 5-4 but in my opinion we lose nothing by switching up because the passing game has never carried the team to a win this year.

28 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

and there you have it...Peterman = Eli Manning!  SUPER BOWL!!!!!

this week i'm learning Doug Flutie won the 1999 Super Bowl, except for the benching, and that a dozen on here believe this more than they believe in the love their spouse, parents and children have for them....  :rolleyes:

Not necessarily the best example since Manning was the #1 overall draft pick that year, but certainly was a bold move since Warner was an established vet and former SB winning QB that was benched.

I think a better example would be a team like the 2006 Cowboys who were 3-2 and benched Bledsoe for Tony Romo that year.

In recent Bills history certainly benching Manuel in 2014 after a 2-2 start was similar as well.

Either way the move had to happen and we can only hope it rejuvenates this team and we can still make a late playoff push. If not we are obviously drafting a 1st round QB next year.

3 hours ago, Marty McFly said:

Risky move if it backfires. He could lose the vets if petermen stinks it up. Hope this sparks the offense do life tho.

It was a risk either way.  

honest question  

When has TT shown he could out duel Tom Brady or sweep the Fish? 

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think the kid will do a whole lot better then most people think. It's about time the Bills had an actual pocket QB that teams will actually need to worry about stopping his passing.

Plus Charles Clay should be back and he should help that passing offense even more. I'm excited to see what a passing QB can do with this receiving corps.

Clay was on the field Sunday against the Saints.  He had  2 catches for 13 yds

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Clay was back vs Jest.

If he was he didn't catch a ball and only caught two in the NO game.

I guess my meaning was is now he will have someone who will throw more than two passes per game to him.

Edited by Nihilarian

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It was a risk either way.  

honest question  

When has TT shown he could out duel Tom Brady or sweep the Fish? 

Clay was on the field Sunday against the Saints.  He had  2 catches for 13 yds

He swept the fish in 2015. A win against SD and IND wouldve been possible too. Still is if the defense can get their **** together. The guy got benched. Get over it.

20 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again Eli was going to play and Warner was only a placeholder in every possible scenario.......  No comparison (after the records).

What is interesting is the Bills finally have all their receivers and as a conspiracy theorist it is obvious they want to be rid of TT, Peterman is a stretch, but they have him starting in the best possible situation and probably are hoping for 6-10 and a good first round draft choice.

TT with all his receivers and a win vs. LAC would have meant Peterman would have no real chance to start until December 10th (wouldn't start him on the road vs. KC or home vs. NE).

He could have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Antonio Brown for all I care, TT would still not release the ball to a spot and/or would throw too late. 

On 11/15/2017 at 9:37 PM, BisonMan said:

Kudos to The NFL Network for pointing today out that the last 5-4 team in a playoff hunt to replace their QB with a rookie was the Giants with Eli Manning replacing Kurt Warner (2004). Sure enough, they have Warner on the show to talk about it. Warner pointed out that that Giants team wasn't very good and "not a playoff team" and switching to the #1 pick at QB was an acknowledgement of the future (sound familiar?).

Of course, Warner didn't point out that he was having the worst year of his career with 6 TDs, 4 INTs and a whopping 39 sacks (in 9 games!). He also had one of his lowest YPG of his career. Everyone assumed he was washed up after the 2 injury filled seasons before that. As it turns out, the offense wasn't aligned with his skills (see: Tyrod Taylor) and moving to AZ revived his career.

Eli was horrible as his replacement with 6 TDs, 9 INTs and just 115 YPG. Let's hope Peterman is no Eli Manning...as a rookie.

Tyrod is never going to be great. He has had all this time to improve and he is basically the same as when he started.

22 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

When it is the passing games "turn" to carry the team, nothing happens.

We may be 5-4 but in my opinion we lose nothing by switching up because the passing game has never carried the team to a win this year.

This. In fact, the passing game hasn't even been competent in game where the running game isn't carrying the team. Peterman will probably stink, but Tyrod hasn't been doing much anyway.

Edited by jeremy2020

7 hours ago, Marty McFly said:

He swept the fish in 2015. A win against SD and IND wouldve been possible too. Still is if the defense can get their **** together. The guy got benched. Get over it.

Yet got swept in 16. 

Regression.  We all saw it.  Some don’t want to see what was.  

No comment on sweeping Brady?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If putting Peterman in can get the defense to stop the run and rush the passer and get Vlad Ducasse to not be absolutely awful then maybe your name is spot on. 

Let’s play the IF game buddy

IF Nate can get the O to score every drive, matching of exceeding the opponent

it won’t matter how bad the defense is 

Food for thought 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan