This is why Tyrod was benched

essential

One thing bothered me on the NFL highlights this week - Robert Woods 94 yard TD pass Sunday. I always liked Woods and can remember his frustration with EJ his rookie year. So last year he is playing injured and catching short passes from Tyrod. So short he usually had to come back and dive to get them. Now he catches passes in stride with YAC.
I like Tyrod as a professional but Woods' catches Sunday showed me a huge difference at the QB position.  

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

We’ve had a lot of posters that think the only mistakes are the bad throws you make— but a good opportunity missed is also huge. It just goes by quietly unnoticed while the interception makes the highlight reels. 

Not news to even ardent Tyrod supporters.

Every QB during the drought was all about missed opportunities of one sort or another...........some guys couldn't push the ball downfield and some couldn't utilize the intermediate or short areas of the field etc...

Tyrod in this offense + a bunch of possession receivers he hadn't played with before is like putting Giancarlo Stanton in a ball park with 600 foot fences.  

The deep ball is what allowed Tyrod to make up for the other shortcomings........when you are 7th in the league in scoring and leading the NFL in big plays for 2 straight years it really is OK if you decline a few open routes to Brandon Tate.  :doh:

It really is.

That deep option opened up his favored easy comebacks at the sticks on the sidelines.........and the fear of the deep ball combined with his ability to gash a defense with his legs opened up the running game.     That was the formula and it's extremely difficult to defense if the components are there to execute it. When they dealt Watkins I knew the offense was going to be f*cked.    

Tyrod has done what he can under the circumstances.   Peterman is a better fit for the system itself but it ultimately comes down to scoring a lot and protecting the football so we will see if what they get with him is better than what they lose with TT.    

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Look at Deonte Thompson at the bottom of your screen.  Waving his arms.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/930260603368853504/video/1

The argument will be that the pocket collapsed, but the point is that Taylor did not understand the routes being run. I have seen Brady and other QBs throw to spots where they know the WR should be while under pressure. Taylor never throws to spots. He waits until someone is very very open and that just doesn't  work in the NFL.

QBs who win have vision and anticipation. TT doesn't have either.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not news to even ardent Tyrod supporters.

Every QB during the drought was all about missed opportunities of one sort or another...........some guys couldn't push the ball downfield and some couldn't utilize the intermediate or short areas of the field etc...

Tyrod in this offense + a bunch of possession receivers he hadn't played with before is like putting Giancarlo Stanton in a ball park with 600 foot fences.  

The deep ball is what allowed Tyrod to make up for the other shortcomings........when you are 7th in the league in scoring and leading the NFL in big plays for 2 straight years it really is OK if you decline a few open routes to Brandon Tate.  :doh:

It really is.

That deep option opened up his favored easy comebacks at the sticks on the sidelines.........and the fear of the deep ball combined with his ability to gash a defense with his legs opened up the running game.     That was the formula and it's extremely difficult to defense if the components are there to execute it. When they dealt Watkins I knew the offense was going to be f*cked.    

Tyrod has done what he can under the circumstances.   Peterman is a better fit for the system itself but it ultimately comes down to scoring a lot and protecting the football so we will see if what they get with him is better than what they lose with TT.    

Tyrod sucked at the deep ball last year.  Nice wordplay.

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ive been saying this since week 12 last year, and was basically ex-communicated as a real Bills fan. If I knew something they didn't, why wasn't I working for the Bills?

Seems like I have a few phone calls to make... 

Really, excommunicated? That's a complete over reaction. He had just as many detractors, perhaps more, than supporters. The issue is this fan base can't handle someone seeing things differently than them. Both Tyrod  supporters and detractors alike.

Maybe the fact that it seems so evenly divided should both sides that the other side has some merit to their points.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Taylor_Peterman4.jpg.8328d7e1a5339a2cadc0fea3f937554f.jpg

Taylor_Peterman.jpg.d8e2b3678ce0e66be9307a0705224e43.jpg

Meanwhile, I continue to be outraged about the Texans refusing to give Tom Savage a legitimate shot. He won the starting job over Deshaun Watson and was a respectable 7 for 13, no INTs in his first start when they yanked him based on ... what? The fact that he'd taken 6 sacks? Like the horrible offensive line play was his fault? Or was there something else going on there, something that has to do with his complexion?

Oh, and I guess everyone's forgotten about Alex Smith, who has only proven to be the highest rated QB in the NFL the last couple years, and far superior to the guy who replaced him in San Francisco, yet he was unceremoniously benched in favor of the biracial Mr. Kaepernick.  I guess that's because he was "not athletic"  enough. A "nonathletic" QB  who was 7-2-1 and leading his division at the time of his benching. With a 104.1 QB rating. Benched in favor of a guy who posted ... get this! ... a 98.3 QB rating. 

See, it's easy to play this game!

Edited by The Frankish Reich

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Tyrod was benched due to racism.  Just ask Schopp or any number of national reporters and talking heads.  Funny that nobody mentioned racism when Maroon gave up on EJ.  Just the current climate we live in, I guess.  Tyrod wasn't performing.  Simple as that.  No reason to play the race card here.

And, of course, Ryan Fitzpatrick was dumped in favor of EJ. He too wasn't "athletic" enough. I wonder what "athletic" is a code word for ... 

[just kidding to prove a point of course. he sucked]

• Like (+1) 1

Easy scapegoat for a coaching staff that OBVIOUSLY got out-coached the last 2 games. In all phases. 

The second any NFL team runs on you 23 times in a row for 2 TD's  and a  FG, 45 times overall and wins 47-10 - and you blame the QB is sad.

TT had a bad game no doubt and should be taken to task as much as he was lauded in the Oakland win. But Benching ?

There's risky leadership shvt here benching a leader/QB - 5-4 uninjured QB in the middle of a playoff race. Really don't like it.

The QB change makes the news - so OK - but - as drastic as this change is, does anyone even have an idea of OL, DL, LB changes as drastic that are also occurring ?

TT may have had a bad game but I promise he didn't allow 47 pts..

All said, class reigns on this team TT, Shady and Peterman in public ooze class today.

Class may not win Super Bowls but makes us all proud to be Bills fans.

Go Nathan. Beat the Bolt-heads !

He was benched because there is nothing left to learn about his abilities.  At his peak he is a tier 3 QB in a league that requires a tier 1 or tier 2 QB to win.

To not find out what the other guy can do would be grossly negligent.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Iraq Vet said:

This scream of ownership desperation... even though I was getting tired of TT.  It just does not feel like a coach decision.

I think Mac contemplated a switch for this week during the New Orleans game.  It was interesting to me that Peterman was protected by starters and threw to starters. In other words, Tyrod and (I believe) Shady were the only starters pulled from the blowout.  At least one guy who has had a maintenance day recently (Incognito) was not.  That suggests to me that Mac wanted as "true" a look at Peterman as possible. 

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Agreed.  I don't think McDermott would have said unequivocally that Taylor was his starter one day and then turn around and name Peterman.  Coaches don't do that kind of thing unless somebody forces them to do it.   He would have left the issue up in the air, but he didn't.  Then he does a 180 turn.  I'm sure that (his about face)  will improve the atmosphere in the locker room 300%. (That's sarcasm for the literal minded.)

As biff would say in "back to the future", "there's something very familiar about this (Ralph Wilson going with Rob Johnson)"

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Wrong. He’s nowhere near above average 

Statistically he’s above average to good. Win loss wise he’s average. He’s better than 16 starters. But if you only watch the Bills and prime time you compare him to Rodgers, Brees and Brady. 

34 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Statistically he’s above average to good. Win loss wise he’s average. He’s better than 16 starters. But if you only watch the Bills and prime time you compare him to Rodgers, Brees and Brady. 

Well, this year has been a revelation, in that we've seen rookies (Watson) far exceed Tyrod right from the get go, and we've also seen grizzled veteran presences (McCown) do the same. We've also seen a middling prospect - Brissett - perform at least as well as Tyrod. And a journeyman-in-waiting, Case Keenum, clearly outperform him. At some point any coach/GM has to think: could we really do worse by taking a flyer on someone else? What's there to lose? If Peterman isn't the guy, well, draft someone else, or bring in some McCown type. It's not like Tyrod is some ultra valuable commodity.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, this year has been a revelation, in that we've seen rookies (Watson) far exceed Tyrod right from the get go, and we've also seen grizzled veteran presences (McCown) do the same. We've also seen a middling prospect - Brissett - perform at least as well as Tyrod. And a journeyman-in-waiting, Case Keenum, clearly outperform him. At some point any coach/GM has to think: could we really do worse by taking a flyer on someone else? What's there to lose? If Peterman isn't the guy, well, draft someone else, or bring in some McCown type. It's not like Tyrod is some ultra valuable commodity.

Each of those situations are significantly better than the situation in Buffalo. Not really a fair comparison. Better defenses. Better receivers. And oustide of the Vikings he’s got as good as or a better record than all of them. 

7 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Each of those situations are significantly better than the situation in Buffalo. Not really a fair comparison. Better defenses. Better receivers. And oustide of the Vikings he’s got as good as or a better record than all of them. 

Really? Have you seen how bad the Texans offense is with Savage, and how good they are with Watson?  If they had never pulled the plug on Savage people would be saying that their O line sucks, that DeAndre Hopkins has lost a step, that Will Fuller is a Marquis Goodwin style speed guy who's a poor route runner, etc., etc.  Is there better talent on the Jets? Didn't they come into this season with what people called the worst receiving corps in recent memory? You know what? Sometimes the QB makes guys look good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, moshermw said:

Easy scapegoat for a coaching staff that OBVIOUSLY got out-coached the last 2 games. In all phases. 

The second any NFL team runs on you 23 times in a row for 2 TD's  and a  FG, 45 times overall and wins 47-10 - and you blame the QB is sad.

TT had a bad game no doubt and should be taken to task as much as he was lauded in the Oakland win. But Benching ?

There's risky leadership shvt here benching a leader/QB - 5-4 uninjured QB in the middle of a playoff race. Really don't like it.

The QB change makes the news - so OK - but - as drastic as this change is, does anyone even have an idea of OL, DL, LB changes as drastic that are also occurring ?

TT may have had a bad game but I promise he didn't allow 47 pts..

Taylor's performance will go down as one of the worst in the history of this franchise. Just because the defense played poorly doesn't mean Taylor wasn't terrible.

If McDermott could pull his defense and replace it with another, I'm sure he would. But you can't replace 11 people. Easier to replace one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Look at Deonte Thompson at the bottom of your screen.  Waving his arms.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/930260603368853504/video/1

How about looking at the playcall.  Three receivers on the right and the playcall is left.....  Blocking and Taylor looking left only.

So the question is simple (but don't expect an answer), who called it to look left and away from the receivers.  

See this over and over with the Bills.