This is why Tyrod was benched

essential

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I take it you didn't read the article...  Rodak didn't say the move was too late.  He said they shouldn't have brought Tyrod back OR they should have let him play until the Bills were out of the playoff picture.  

Also here is another quote from a Rodak article two days ago...

Taylor remains the Bills' best option to qualify for the postseason, despite his flaws. The bigger problem for Buffalo is its defense, which between Week 5 and the conclusion of Sunday's early games has ranked 28th in points allowed per game (28.4), 29th in yards allowed (403), 31st in yards per play (6.07), 26th in the red zone (65-percent opponent conversions) and 26th on third downs (43.5 percent).

If the defense continues its collapse, the Bills could easily find themselves below .500 after their Dec. 3 against New England. The playoffs could still be very much in play at that point because of the AFC's issues, but the discussion of starting Peterman would have more merit at that time.

I like TT and think his overall skill set makes him a solid NFL starter. That means he will look good some games and not so good other games like all average qbs do. He is also a classy player and hard worker. Wherever he winds up I will root for him like I do Fitz. As long as he is not playing the Bills. 

Timing of the move move is very odd. I like what I have seen from Peterman and he does not at all look like a 5th round scrub qb. That said, this league has a way of chewing up qbs and spitting them out. It will be nice to see what he has before the draft.

1 hour ago, unclepete said:

Good info. I’m still against the benching. We could have traded him at the deadline or next year. We could have gave him a year but let him walk. This just reeks of a front office that drafted a guy and want to play him. I don’t want another staff loyal to a guy and refusing to make a change. If we don’t draft a QB next year it’ll be because of a commitment to Peterman. And if Peterman struggles the coaching staff will lose the team. Maybe Tyrod was missing open guys. But gambling a competitive season on a rookie is unforgivable if he fails. 

Tyrod is an average to above average QB. He’s David Garrard. He’s a reflection of how good the team is. In a weak AFC we can make the playoffs with him. Now I’m not sure. 

Wrong. He’s nowhere near above average 

14 minutes ago, flomoe said:

Tyrod was benched because he shouldn’t have been here in the first place! !@#$ Rex Ryan with 34” 36oz. Louisville Slugger!!

seriously, if Whaley has any acumen as a GM, he would have learned from the EJ fiasco and brought somebody into the front office with knowledge of Good quarterbacks and either drafted one or traded draft picks to pry one away from somewhere.

Instead, we were left with EJ and Whaley and Rex bringing in a QB with obvious flaws. If Tyrod was so wonderful, why didn’t anyone want him(including the Ravens) the first time he was available? Then, he’s a free agent(more or less) again and still nobody grabbed him.

Denver wanted him and actually offered more money than the Bills did.  He was never available for anyone to grab a second time.  Why and how would the Ravens re-sign him when he wanted to start somewhere?

Edited by Scott7975

let the coach , coach. if he is not right, it is his ass. i have been a Bill's fan since their inception and I have seen the ups and downs during the years , mostly downs. we now have a coach  in his first season and the people who think they know more football than he does are amusing to say the least.

24 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Denver wanted him and actually offered more money than the Bills did.  He was never available for anyone to grab a second time.  Why and how would the Ravens re-sign him when he wanted to start somewhere?

Denver wanted him as a backup to Peyton Manning. 

Tyrod chose Buffalo because it gave him the best chance at starting and that is what happened, he said so himself.

48 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What he is is an amazing backup. Maybe the best backup in the league.  Someone who can get you a game or 2 while your starter is down. He'll never be a starter in the league. Ask the Ravens, they'll tell you.

While what you said isn't outlandish about him being a great backup as his best fit, saying ask the Ravens is a bit ridiculous.  He was behind a rising QB in Flacco who went on to win them a SB.  There was 0% chance for him or most the league to start over Flacco during the time he was a Raven.  So lets keep this grounded in reality in that regard, as its not a fair comment.  

thanks for posting this.  this all did become very clear vs the jets when Romo was analyzing.  then when i watch other random game i wonder why we dont ever see plays like this or that.  TT's interceptions are low for a reason, he takes no chances, maybe he doesnt trust himself for those tight throws.

Idk I think Sean is wearing the pants in this relationship.  This make complete sense in finding your guy.  He floats and we've got our guy.  He sinks and we're drafting higher.  Taylor's ball placement is absolutely terrible couldn't watch any more of it.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Look at Deonte Thompson at the bottom of your screen.  Waving his arms.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/930260603368853504/video/1

Taylor was scrambling long before that.  A better QB would probably have moved up in the pocket buying another second, but the point when Thompson came open, and so was Benjamine, Taylor was already scrambling to the sideline.

What is strange on that play to me is that Taylor has 3 receivers to the right side.  It looks like he was watching Clay on the left side almost the entire time until he scrambled. 

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, unclepete said:

Good info. I’m still against the benching. We could have traded him at the deadline or next year. We could have gave him a year but let him walk. This just reeks of a front office that drafted a guy and want to play him. I don’t want another staff loyal to a guy and refusing to make a change. If we don’t draft a QB next year it’ll be because of a commitment to Peterman. And if Peterman struggles the coaching staff will lose the team. Maybe Tyrod was missing open guys. But gambling a competitive season on a rookie is unforgivable if he fails. 

Tyrod is an average to above average QB. He’s David Garrard. He’s a reflection of how good the team is. In a weak AFC we can make the playoffs with him. Now I’m not sure. 

FO wasn’t here yet when Peterman was drafted...got anything else?

3 hours ago, essential said:

I listen to national sports talk all day at work.  When talking about Tyrod, most on-air personalities throw out all the stats that are favorable to Tyrod (low interceptions, QBR, etc).  A lot of people don’t think those stats give a true representation.(...)

Andy Benoit:

“There will never be a stat to capture throws that should be attempted that are not attempted, and when you put on the all 22 coaches film and you see how these plays are drawn up, every game more than any other QB in the league, Tyrod Taylor’s leaving guys open on the field un-attempted.  (....)”

Then as a follow up on the Benoit clip, Todd McShay said:

“And I can tell you one thing, nothing will drive an offensive staff crazier than seeing something that they drew up, an opportunity for big play, and your quarterback didn’t take advantage of it, and I think that’s part of what’s going on here, and exactly what he’s saying is that, they’re getting guys open, they’re scheming the right way, they’re doing things, and he’s not seeing it, and that drives you nuts, because it makes you look bad as a coordinator, and ultimately as a head coach.”

There's no question that Tyrod leaves plays on the field.  He left plays on the field the previous two years.

What's different, and what's made him less effective this year, is that the previous two years, coaches schemed to his strengths, and the run game was diverse enough that when teams expected us to run, we ran anyway.   The Bills little mouthpiece, Chris Brown, had this to say in his "why Coach McD benched TT" piece:
" McDermott believes utilizing a quarterback, whose style is rooted in playing in a timing-based scheme like that of the Bills, will help to increase the consistency of his offense. "

In other words, since the preseason, the Bills have been running an offensive scheme in which they had to have known Tyrod would be ineffective. 

Desperation play, IMO.  1) Dennison designs a scheme TT can't execute 2) TT can't execute it 3) Bench TT for a 5th round rookie or whatever Peterman is

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's no question that Tyrod leaves plays on the field.  He left plays on the field the previous two years.

What's different, and what's made him less effective this year, is that the previous two years, coaches schemed to his strengths, and the run game was diverse enough that when teams expected us to run, we ran anyway.   The Bills little mouthpiece, Chris Brown, had this to say in his "why Coach McD benched TT" piece:
" McDermott believes utilizing a quarterback, whose style is rooted in playing in a timing-based scheme like that of the Bills, will help to increase the consistency of his offense. "

In other words, since the preseason, the Bills have been running an offensive scheme in which they had to have known Tyrod would be ineffective. 

Desperation play, IMO.  1) Dennison designs a scheme TT can't execute 2) TT can't execute it 3) Bench TT for a 5th round rookie or whatever Peterman is

There's something to be said for scheming to fit your players, but in a rebuild like this one why keep trying to change everything for an average QB who almost certainly won't be around next year?

I honestly can't believe that this move was made to "win now", no matter what coach speak comes out.  I just don't see it as desperation as much as logical.