Whatever happened to Doug Whaley and His Crew?

BuffaloRush

1 minute ago, Fixxxer said:

I agree, though his leading candidate was Hue Jackson, who doesn't look like he has HC material. 

But Hue and The Schwartz?? I'd still kinda like to have seen how that played out.  And if it had failed at least you'd know Whaley failed on his terms.  Failing by being handcuffed to that fat loudmouth idiot must have been particularly galling.  

I'm shocked that Whaley is unemployed.  I had always heard that he was one of the top GMs in the league & would be snatched up in a second to be another team's GM, were we ever foolish enough to let him go.  He had a clear plan in mind when he traded serious draft capital to move up for Sammy: to get a WR, who in Whaley's own words, wasn't much better than the other WRs in the draft.  Picking up the phone when the Eagles called to offer McCoy was another stroke of genius; most GMs probably would've dropped the phone trying to answer it.  It's a shame he had Rex forced upon him; you could tell how upset he was when he compared finding Rex to finding the person you're going to marry & talked about how they shared such  a close vision of team building that they could complete each other's sentences.  Here's hoping he gets another GM job - in the AFC East.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And I’m not discounting NP. Hopefully, he turns into something. But we have far too many draft picks to not pick a qb high. 

Woild anyone be upset if we had 2 good young qbs?

Nope, that would be a good problem to have.

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

This is lunacy. If Doug Whaley were here, we'd be in the playoffs by now? Come on. The guy couldn't pick a QB to save his life, we would still be without a QB. How about taking MD99 over AJ Green and JJ Watt? Not a very good GM, we fired him out of mercy, he was stuttering towards the end and couldn't even piece together a sentence without freezing.

Not lunacy at all.  Had Whaley been allowed to hire his coach, definitely not a stretch to say we would have been in the playoffs by now.

As far as the QB situation, go back and read my first post in this thread.  Will tell you all you need to know about the EJ Manuel pick.  Admit that Cardale Jones was a mistake.

Whaley was put in front of the media by Pegula (who probably should have been the one in front of the media) after the Rex firing.  Have to believe this came about last minute and Whaley most likely had no time to prepare.

We didn't fire him out of mercy; McDermott entered the scene, demanded full control, and the Pegulas gave it to him.  End of Whaley for better or worse.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But Hue and The Schwartz?? I'd still kinda like to have seen how that played out.  And if it had failed at least you'd know Whaley failed on his terms.  Failing by being handcuffed to that fat loudmouth idiot must have been particularly galling.  

That would have been a nice combo, I agree. Regarding Rex, Whaley didn't have the balls to say no to the new owners, he had to know that Rex's big ego would lead to another defefensive system. 

9 hours ago, JM57 said:

Woods, Watkins and Robey-Coleman are starters for the 7-2 Rams. There's 3. Darby and Bradham start for the 8-1 Eagles. That's 5 that I would call key guys, as starters on good teams.

If we want to split hairs, Ron Brooks started in Darby's place until he also got injured (as is tradition) so you could argue he was a key for the Eagles until that point. Goodwin has been a starter for the Niners all year, and Kevon Seymour is basically a starter in Carolina (playing essentially the same time as Leonard Johnson does here).

Whaley was the gm when woods NRC and bradham were let go.  

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was not a bad GM.  First of all, can you fairly evaluate a GM who doesn't hire the coach?  He tried to work with 2 coaches he didn't hire.  Shaq Lawson has Rex's name all over him.  Also, under Whaley's watch, we had a top 10 offense and defense.  The 2014 team was possibly the best team of the drought.  And then the Pegulas hired Rex.  

Woods, Watkins, Goodwin (bad team), Robey, Dareus, Gilmore, Darby is about to be.  Those are solid players on really good teams.  Not to mention he acquired our 1 remaining  blue chipper in McCoy.  

Zach Brown leads the NFL in tackles and is a LB that plays in space. He’s on a $2.5M deal. Does that sound like a guy that we could use? 

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Zach Brown leads the NFL in tackles and is a LB that plays in space. He’s on a $2.5M deal. Does that sound like a guy that we could use? 

Out of all of the posts. This one makes me the saddest. Jesus. 

The holes and lack of depth are magnified because we magnified them ourselves. 

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Absolutely. Though I don't put this offseason on Whaley. He was emasculated early on. The moves in 2013 are on Whaley - EJ for example. The moves this offseason are absolutely on McDermott.

If Doug had survived Tyrod would have been gone and I believe we would have drafted a Quarterback. Not sure who.... but that is the route I think we'd have gone. Keeping Alexander was a move that had McDermott all over it as well. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Absolutely. Though I don't put this offseason on Whaley. He was emasculated early on. The moves in 2013 are on Whaley - EJ for example. The moves this offseason are absolutely on McDermott.

If Doug had survived Tyrod would have been gone and I believe we would have drafted a Quarterback. Not sure who.... but that is the route I think we'd have gone. Keeping Alexander was a move that had McDermott all over it as well. 

It is funny.  This new regime seems intent on destroying everything Whaley did. Yet, they had all offseason to move on from Tyrod, who Whaley didn’t believe in, and they brought him back.

that worries me about their ability to evaluate talent. 

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll be honest. I didn’t think Brown was that big of a loss.  But he’s look great on this defense.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He supposedly loved Watson. Whaley would have brought back Zach Brown. There are lots of things that may look different. It doesn’t mean that we would be better or worse but certainly different. I believe that we’d be more talented but maybe not over the long haul.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He supposedly loved Watson. Whaley would have brought back Zach Brown. There are lots of things that may look different. It doesn’t mean that we would be better or worse but certainly different. I believe that we’d be more talented but maybe not over the long haul.

Agree totally. I just don't think you can put anything that happened this offseason on Whaley. 

17 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I was just wondering today - whatever happened to Doug Whaley and his "world class" scouts, almost all of which were fired when Brandon Beane was hired?  I remember listening to John Murphy Show around draft time and these guys were always on the air.  People like Jim Monos and Kelvin Fisher used to come on and talk about the new draft prospects etc.  Whaley would come on and talk about how great his staff was.

I know that these guys got fired in April, but it's so weird because I can't find anything on them.  It doesn't appear that any of these guys were picked up by other NFL teams on the scouting crew.  

Whatever happened to these guys?

Whaley was a man without the authority to build his team. He was always taking orders from Marrone, then Rex. If there's one thing I've learned about the Bills is we make putting square pegs into round holes an art form. How many times have we ended up with the wrong players for whatever new coach comes in? 3-4 D? No I want 4-3! Spread offense? I want ground & pound! And so the Bills wheel spins. I hope this regime can stick with something long enough to make it work.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If only Whaley hired Hue Jackson (who wanted Watson too) & kept Schwartz and drafted Watson!  

Im hoping for the best with the new regime but there have been some head scratchers.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If only Whaley hired Hue Jackson (who wanted Watson too) & kept Schwartz and drafted Watson!  

Im hoping for the best with the new regime but there have been some head scratchers.

I said at the beginning they had to prove that they were good. They haven’t done that yet. That doesn’t mean their plan won’t work. We have them way more latitude than any previous regime because we bought into things like “the process.” They’ve talked a big game and had mixed results. It’s a marathon though. We will find out in due time if it was a great move for the Bills or a terrible one. I don’t see this ending with average results.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh come on.

Man the revisionist history is off the charts when talking about Whaley it's unreal.  People cite drafting players like Robert Woods, Nickel-Roby Coleman, Ron Darby Marquese Goodwin, and Nigel Bradam as the crowning achievement for Whaley?  Give me a break.  All of those guys are nice players that have been successful in the right schemes, but they aren't the difference makers you need to be successful in the NFL.   To be successful as a GM, you need to consistently hit in rounds 1 and 2 of the NFL.   Whaley's record in these spots was not very good.  

Funny how many also forget the fact, that Whaley as GM was responsible for mismanaging the cap some very very bad deals.  Fact of the matter is, Whaley was a failure as GM and the best thing Terry ever did was to let him go

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wasn't that the guy who started on the Bills when Jay Ajayi ran for 400+ yards in two games.  I think a lot of Zach's tackles took place downfield

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Counting Terry's money on a beach.  But I believe he's working on some football related product outside of the NFL.

Whaley had his flaws but a lot of his players are key members on some really good teams.  He should have been allowed to pick his coach.

He did and that was the last straw for the Pegulas........