Most disrespectful play? The timeout on 3rd &1

JerseyBills

On 3rd and 1 yard before Halftime, when the game was relatively close , Sean Payton calls a timeout, showing blatant disrespect for the Bills offense. I don't recall ever seeing the defense call a timeout on 3rd and 1 , with over a minute to play in the half.. 

Of course we didn't convert and we punted, Saints had no timeouts left and ultimately didn't even try to  score but I don't recall this play being brought up, and it was a play that stood out to me during this debacle of a game.. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see that as disrespectful

Later in the game, when they were up by around 30, and I believe it was a 4th and short, Payton sent the offence back in knowing the Bills werent going to stop them and just continue to run up that score at that point. Thats a bit more disrespectful. Up by as many as they were, there was no need to go for it on 4th down

8 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

On 3rd and 1 yard before Halftime, when the game was relatively close , Sean Payton calls a timeout, showing blatant disrespect for the Bills offense. I don't recall ever seeing the defense call a timeout on 3rd and 1 , with over a minute to play in the half.. 

Of course we didn't convert and we punted, Saints had no timeouts left and ultimately didn't even try to  score but I don't recall this play being brought up, and it was a play that stood out to me during this debacle of a game.. 

The game was still somewhat close at half.  Doesn’t matter anyway.  The point of the game is to win not worry if you’ll hurt the other teams feelings.  

Edited by PABillsfan23

Not their job to show us respect.  We should have earned it, but didn't.

Sean Payton is the type of coach I would like to see Sean McDermott become more like: killer instinct, put the pedal to the metal

Edited by Happy Gilmore

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't see that as disrespectful

Later in the game, when they were up by around 30, and I believe it was a 4th and short, Payton sent the offence back in knowing the Bills werent going to stop them and just continue to run up that score at that point. Thats a bit more disrespectful. Up by as many as they were, there was no need to go for it on 4th down

Yeah, it was 4th and 3. I remember seeing that and being like is this real life? You're up 30 and you're going for it. Seemed very Belicheat like. 

But, hey, all the men on the field are grown. Bills needed to stop them, but they instead laid down and took like they were in jail. 

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Goes to show what a long-time, accomplished head coach thinks of Tyrod Taylor.

Were your panties this wadded when McDermott did it repeatedly at the start of the season to get the offense to show their hand? Of all the things the Bills gave you to get bent out of shape about on Sunday, I’d have to say you chose poorly. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Yeah, it was 4th and 3. I remember seeing that and being like is this real life? You're up 30 and you're going for it. Seemed very Belicheat like. 

But, hey, all the men on the field are grown. Bills needed to stop them, but they instead laid down and took like they were in jail. 

Not going to disagree with the fact that the Bills could have stopped them too if they didn't like it but it doesn't take away from it being disrespectful when you can see that the other team has given up on the game.  Punt or take the FG at that point, no need to continue running up the score 

13 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Payton plays to win. A concept and Something that has been missing for almost 18 years with the Bills. 

There was no disrespect.

Theres a difference between playing to win and being disrespectful/running up the score.

Some people are raised to show respect and know when to let up, others have to continue to beat up on the weak because they have to compensate for other shortcomings and make themselves feel better.

38 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

It was a debacle, but I've seen that kind of thing before, especially on teams with the quick-strike capability of the Saints offense..

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Theres a difference between playing to win and being disrespectful/running up the score.

Some people are raised to show respect and know when to let up, others have to continue to beat up on the weak because they have to compensate for other shortcomings and make themselves feel better.

In the past points scored I believe were used in playoff tie breakers, etc. A good team had a bad team on the ropes. Like 51-3 Bills. 

If it was McD doing it would you still have the same opinion? I know most would love it.