Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

Reaching the playoffs is a game changer for McDermott.   It will stick in Bills' fan's minds - including the Pegulas.    It moves the needle on his like/dislike meter considerably in his favor.   Masks a lot of the "stink" of his and Beane's decision making from earlier in the year.  As they say "winning is a great deodorant."

Edited by PolishDave

9 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Reaching the playoffs is a game changer for McDermott.   It will stick in Bills' fan's minds - including the Pegulas.    It moves the needle on his like/dislike meter considerably in his favor.   Masks a lot of the "stink" of his and Beane's decision making from earlier in the year.  As they say "winning is a great deodorant."

That's just it. There was no "stink." They excised cancers, brought in talent and increased draft odds. WHILE MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

The only "stink" existed in the minds of DVOA nerds and Tyrod/Whaley guys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

That's just it. There was no "stink." They excised cancers, brought in talent and increased draft odds. WHILE MAKING THE PLAYOFFS.

The only "stink" existed in the minds of DVOA nerds and Tyrod/Whaley guys.

NO stink huh?   You have some kind of bipolar disorder.   With you its either 100% one way or 100% the other.  

There was plenty of stink - questionable decisions in multiple aspects of the game (example = starting Tolbert, punting with game on the line, not trying to move the ball/score when getting a free possession before half time), lack of halftime adjustments, poor clock management, defense quitting on him part way through a game,stubbornness even when proven wrong - refusal to change the offensive scheme and or force Dennison to do so even when it was clear it wasn't working early on.   I am sure there are some other examples I didn't just name off the top of my head.

Hopefully these are all things he improves upon as a coach in future years.    If not, the Bills are less likely to be visiting any Superbowls.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Incorrect........I felt that McD could have lost out this season and still have been back next year. 

Things can go sideways.......ask Ben McAdoo......playoffs first year........fired the second.

Todd Haley also comes to mind.........he was a taskmaster like McD........won the AFC west his second year........fired in-season the next.

I think it would take something catastrophic to get McD fired next season but I don't see him having 5 years because he squeezed into the playoffs in year one.

As for McCoy........no I would rather they let him play out his deal and he were a FA this offseason........I'd like him back but he'd have been MUCH cheaper for the first 3 years and worth about the same as a FA.

That said.........McD totally abused McCoy this year........they didn't have an adequate backup and they used him like a tackling dummy in the second half of games.   He's not two clicks below average as a RB but that's where he ended up this year.

When he got carted off the field Sunday that was 3 straight seasons that his regular season ended with him going off the field on a cart.   I hope he can play Sunday but I said this summer that if they tried to rush him upwards of 300 times he would probably be shot by playoff time...........and as circumstance would have it he may be out entirely, if not diminished.

Things do change, but he owns the current team.  The fact that a first year HC was able to pull the team out of its funk is quite telling to me.  

As for your taskmaster characterization, I'm not sure where that comes from. Inside source? McDermott seems, to me, to be someone who believes in doing things the right way (his right way). If that means he's a taskmaster then so be it. He cares about his players and that shows through.

He and Beane did not have an adequate plan at RB, many/most everyone saw this. That said, the primary reason McCoy was overworked was because of the limitations of the quarterback you and many others continue to promote.  

On 1/1/2018 at 10:58 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Incorrect........I felt that McD could have lost out this season and still have been back next year. 

Things can go sideways.......ask Ben McAdoo......playoffs first year........fired the second.

Todd Haley also comes to mind.........he was a taskmaster like McD........won the AFC west his second year........fired in-season the next.

I think it would take something catastrophic to get McD fired next season but I don't see him having 5 years because he squeezed into the playoffs in year one.

As for McCoy........no I would rather they let him play out his deal and he were a FA this offseason........I'd like him back but he'd have been MUCH cheaper for the first 3 years and worth about the same as a FA.

That said.........McD totally abused McCoy this year........they didn't have an adequate backup and they used him like a tackling dummy in the second half of games.   He's not two clicks below average as a RB but that's where he ended up this year.

When he got carted off the field Sunday that was 3 straight seasons that his regular season ended with him going off the field on a cart.   I hope he can play Sunday but I said this summer that if they tried to rush him upwards of 300 times he would probably be shot by playoff time...........and as circumstance would have it he may be out entirely, if not diminished.

I get how you feel now.   But the tag on this thread is "clock started ticking on his regime today".  You try and suggest where Pegula would use his penn state ties to find the next coach.  Whether or not McD came back next year is irrelevant to your assertion that his losing the team is the beginning of the end and where Pegula should begin his search.  You got caught up in that moment and overreacted.  Most of us would own that because it happens to everyone.

WRT McCoy, back in 2015 the crux of your argument against him was his avg YPC had dropped in Philly to 4.2 and 4.4 with us (despite a hamstring injury) so it was the beginning of the end of his career so he wasn't worth it.  Also the fact that Karlos had a great avg YPC and Gillislee looked promising had you suggesting we could go with them and McCoy wasn't needed at his price.  

I went and looked at the yearly and career avg YPC for the top 20 RB's of all time.  When their yearly avg YPC gets below 4.0 and/or their career avg gets below 4.4 is generally the end of most careers.  Shady has been worth every penny of his contract to me.  His leadership, dedication and passion go beyond any statistics.

And I would have enjoyed an honest discussion about all that with you but you're not much good at discussions.  You are one of those people who pretends he has all the answers all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I get how you feel now.   But the tag on this thread is "clock started ticking on his regime today".  You try and suggest where Pegula would use his penn state ties to find the next coach.  Whether or not McD came back next year is irrelevant to your assertion that his losing the team is the beginning of the end and where Pegula should begin his search.  You got caught up in that moment and overreacted.  Most of us would own that because it happens to everyone.

WRT McCoy, back in 2015 the crux of your argument against him was his avg YPC had dropped in Philly to 4.2 and 4.4 with us (despite a hamstring injury) so it was the beginning of the end of his career so he wasn't worth it.  Also the fact that Karlos had a great avg YPC and Gillislee looked promising had you suggesting we could go with them and McCoy wasn't needed at his price.  

I went and looked at the yearly and career avg YPC for the top 20 RB's of all time.  When their yearly avg YPC gets below 4.0 and/or their career avg gets below 4.4 is generally the end of most careers.  Shady has been worth every penny of his contract to me.  His leadership, dedication and passion go beyond any statistics.

And I would have enjoyed an honest discussion about all that with you but you're not much good at discussions.  You are one of those people who pretends he has all the answers all the time.

this is by far the nicest way someone can sum up badol's posts.  read this badol.  hopefully you take something away from this, but it's likely you won't.  i've never understood the intense need to be right on a message board.  it's easy to be wrong about sports predictions.  no one holds it against you.  the only thing posters tend to hold against other posters, is their response to being wrong, and the way they debate.  

• Like (+1) 2

Sometimes you're glad you just didn't bite on a thread...this is one of those times.  It's an embarrassment by an obviously lonely guy continually trying to prove himself right on a message board.  Classic.  The fact he's still trying to defend it is even better.  :lol: 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, teef said:

this is by far the nicest way someone can sum up badol's posts.  read this badol.  hopefully you take something away from this, but it's likely you won't.  i've never understood the intense need to be right on a message board.  it's easy to be wrong about sports predictions.  no one holds it against you.  the only thing posters tend to hold against other posters, is their response to being wrong, and the way they debate.  

Wont happen.    He’s had even worse takes that he contorts and takes zero accountability for.        What’s even better is when he gets holier than thou with it as he’s pinned to the mat. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

1) There are no "buts" about it IMO.   If things go bad enough to realistically think that the Pegula's are considering making a change.......... the first things that will be marked against McD in the ledger will be that series of historically bad quit games that culminated in what proved to be one of the worst QB decisions a coach has ever made.   He is accountable for that.   It will not be forgotten.  

2) I never said McD might be fired after this season.   I also never said he'd "lost the team".    You've misread and created a false narrative.   I said it wasn't too early to consider potential coaches for 2019 and I also said there is A LOT of quitting going on around the NFL this past season.   Adam Gase team quit on him HARD this season.  Nobody is calling for his head now.......but it was the first mark against him as well. 

3) The "crux" of my McCoy argument was that they were foolish and got played by he and his agent in extending his contract when they did not need to.    The contract he had with Philly ran thru 2017.   It would just NOW be expiring.    He had no leverage, he was well paid on that deal.  That take was absolutely correct.........they've given McCoy a lot of money they didn't need to.    Would you rather have approx $25M more cap room this offseason and have McCoy just now eligible for FA at 30 years old...........or have him under contract next season at around $10M and have approx $25M less cap room?  It's pretty open and shut.   This deal was made in the same offseason and in the same careless frame of mind as the Dareus deal. 

What followed were a bunch of reasons why it was a bad deal.........it certainly could have turned out much worse........but the reality is that the Bills got 2 of his 3 worst seasons in his career(some sage experts insisted he was worth it because he would put up 2,000 all purpose yard seasons, which he never even SNIFFED in Buffalo)... and in the process they gave away enough new money to have made a HUGE difference this offseason.  Cap money can be rolled over.   Wasted money in 2015 is wasted cap room in 2018.

And as for my claims about them being able to get by with other RB's........I like McCoy......but how exactly has that been disproven?   

But THE BIGGEST WEAKNESS in all the takes of people bitching about MY takes on McCoy........was not acknowledging how right I was about the player I saw on the field for the Bills.   After watching him fail to meet expectations in 2015.....at his lowest point, tearing his MCL in Washington........when all the punks who are yapping at me now were clammed up hard......... I said that he could bounce back and put up 5.5 ypc and score the TD's that Karlos and MG were scoring if he grew up, did his job and stopped dwelling on what he lost in getting exiled from Philly. 

That offseason he fessed up to not following the design of the offense and came in a VERY changed player/teammate. As I predicted he came out and put up 5.4 ypc and double digit TD's.......per touch production more like that of MG and Karlos.

NAILED IT

That's the real story..........not that I was wrong in my assessment of where he was going in 2015........because that's where he was going........he was already there.....running  a yard less per carry than his lesser gifted young counterparts, taking nearly every run out of bounds, not creating big plays or scoring TD's.    

4) Correct me if I am wrong.........you are saying Shady is nearing the end of his career?   His Eagles contract would be expiring this offseason.   I am not saying you are right about that........but if you believe that then why extend him 3 years ago? :doh:  

9 hours ago, eball said:

Sometimes you're glad you just didn't bite on a thread...this is one of those times.  It's an embarrassment by an obviously lonely guy continually trying to prove himself right on a message board.  Classic.  The fact he's still trying to defend it is even better.  :lol: 

I am convinced that you guys project YOUR issues on me.

Then I get called cold-blooded when I point it out.:lol:

I'm very happily married, 5 children at home, live in the town I went to school in and have friends here that I've had since I was 4 years old that I can call up any night and meet for some chicken wings.  I got pulled over for having a light out the other day and as I suspected half the town was busting my balls about it.   If I am lonely it must be a delayed reaction.:lol:

Do you care to compare situations wrt loneliness?    

Look........I know there are lot's of people who are lonely on this board.......you seem like an obvious candidate(I could expound AS YOU KNOW, but will not).......and there are lot's of people who've done dumb **** like getting married to the wrong person like Joe........and I'm not here to bust on those folks..........I don't judge.......but if you project it on me I will give it back to you just like if we were having a beer together.   My biggest issue on this board is wanting to objectively discuss football..........THAT is like having leprosy with a side of AIDS here unfortunately.:lol:   And to be frank with you guys that costs you A LOT more posts from the people you like to read........that also give great football insight(:devil:) but don't want to have to answer to trolls.

And while I am at it..........for all the people who call me "Baldo".........I'm not bald..........but being bald is not something to shame people about.    There are A LOT of bald f*cks on this board and you are striking them every time you bald shame.........so be kind dammit!:thumbsup:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am convinced that you guys project YOUR issues on me.

Then I get called cold-blooded when I point it out.:lol:

I'm very happily married, 5 children at home, live in the town I went to school in and have friends here that I've had since I was 4 years old that I can call up any night and meet for some chicken wings.  I got pulled over for having a light out the other day and as I suspected half the town was busting my balls about it.   If I am lonely it must be a delayed reaction.:lol:

Do you care to compare situations wrt loneliness?    

Look........I know there are lot's of people who are lonely on this board.......you seem like an obvious candidate(I could expound AS YOU KNOW, but will not).......and there are lot's of people who've done dumb **** like getting married to the wrong person like Joe........and I'm not here to bust on those folks..........I don't judge.......but if you project it on me I will give it back to you just like if we were having a beer together.   My biggest issue on this board is wanting to objectively discuss football..........THAT is like having leprosy with a side of AIDS here unfortunately.:lol:   And to be frank with you guys that costs you A LOT more posts from the people you like to read........that also give great football insight(:devil:) but don't want to have to answer to trolls.

And while I am at it..........for all the people who call me "Baldo".........I'm not bald..........but being bald is not something to shame people about.    There are A LOT of bald f*cks on this board and you are striking them every time you bald shame.........so be kind dammit!:thumbsup:

....Jesus....I think you and Dunkirk Don could get a helluva rate on group therapy......this yip may redefine overly knotted nylons or excessive sand in thy jockey shorts.....wow........

You can just tell when Badol is twitching....  he goes on an emoji bender.

:flirt: B-) :flirt:

I, for one, want to hear more about how the media’s fawning over Kyle has undermined his leadership!  The timing on that take was epic!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:flirt:

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

You can just tell when Badol is twitching....  he goes on an emoji bender.

:flirt: B-) :flirt:

I, for one, want to hear more about how the media’s fawning over Kyle has undermined his leadership!  The timing on that take was epic!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:flirt:

I am always on an emoji bender.   I derive a lot of laughs from this board.:lol:

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Jesus....I think you and Dunkirk Don could get a helluva rate on group therapy......this yip may redefine overly knotted nylons or excessive sand in thy jockey shorts.....wow........

What I take from that is you've paid for therapy.....I'm going to say couples therapy the couples thing probably touched a nerve....and you are old(grampa-esque nylons and jockey shorts references).

Amirite?

I think I could do this Deranged Rhino, Joesixpack, eball psycho-analysis thing.:thumbsup: