Team again quit on McDermott

BADOLBILZ

9 hours ago, Sweats said:

Did the players quit on the coaching staff?...........or did the coaching staff quit on the players?

The players looked sloppy, lazy and uninterested in playing the past 2 games, however, the coaching staff did little to prepare the team and the guys looked lost out there today.

Does somebody out there have some insight? (John W?). Did something happen in a game or practice with the coaching staff and players that has the players no longer buying into the process?  Or were they really overachieving in the first few games and now slid back to earth?

The defense was playing so well and while there have been some short-term injuries, they don't explain the poor performances in these last 2 games.  Even though I sort of watched the whole game today, it was very discouraging.  I bought tickets to next week's game when things were going well.  Now I'm not looking forward to it.   Melvin Gordon could get 200+ yards rushing.   Be sure to pick him for DFS.

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

4 first downs by the end of the third. 4. He was awful AGAIN.

He was a whole new kind of awful yesterday.  Even the TV angles showed receivers open down the field as he checked down to Mike Tolbert on 3rd and 12 for the 3rd time....

I thought he was bad at Carolina and Cincinnati.  Yesterday was his worst game and it had a feeling of defeatism about it from the start.  

10 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

It's a rebuilding project that will take a few years.  We have an old roster and these coaches inherited most of it...I just don't understand the constant turnover mindset and how it would be good for the franchise to not allow this regime to have a couple of years to build something.  They haven't had a chance to get their guys on the roster?  It's still been less than a year...

Can you show recent examples of teams that took several years to build into a consistent playoff contender.  IE teams whose current head coaches did not make the playoffs in their first 3 years as coaches, but then went on to great successes down the road.  Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and the 70's don't count as recent. 

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Can you show recent examples of teams that took several years to build into a consistent playoff contender.  IE teams whose current head coaches did not make the playoffs in their first 3 years as coaches, but then went on to great successes down the road.  Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and the 70's don't count as recent. 

Jacksonville? Tennessee? Los Angeles? Seattle?

I don't know if quit is the word. It was more like a capitulation. The Saints OLine imposed their will on what, 24 consecutive running plays or something like that? They completely, thoroughly broke the spirit of the defense. I'm not sure we can recover from that moving forward this season. Coaching and veteran leadership will reveal itself in the coming days and weeks. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

When did I say he wasn't?

You didn't exactly say he was, either.

You ARE allowed to score, you know. And more often than not, scoring involves passing the ball.

This guy just can't do it. Even with a clean pocket on 3rd and 10+, he checks down. For the love of Christ, get him out of there.

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Marrone is in his second season.  Los Angeles coach is in his first season. Carrol won the Super Bowl his second season.  Don't follow Tennessee much. The examples you give are all guys getting it pulled together pretty quickly. 

Marrone is in his 1st season.  

Mularkey is his 2nd as permanent HC.  He had half a season as interim before that.  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Marrone is in his 1st season.  

Mularkey is his 2nd as permanent HC.  He had half a season as interim before that.  

Head coaches seem to follow the QB arch.  Most that are very good show that pretty quickly.  You can't judge long term failure or success after nine games. But after two full seasons you have a pretty good idea. After three seasons, you are kidding yourself about a guy turning it around at that point, for the most part. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Head coaches seem to follow the QB arch.  Most that are very good show that pretty quickly.  You can't judge long term failure or success after nine games. But after two full seasons you have a pretty good idea. After three seasons, you are kidding yourself about a guy turning it around at that point, for the most part. 

I agree.  I'm all for giving people time, but only if they show you they are on the right path.  I'd have given Marrone a 3rd year here if he wanted it and I'd have fired Rex Ryan after 1 season.  It is all on the person and what they show.  

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True.  I don't think anyone mentioned it here, but Buffalo native Gregg Easterbrook pointed the same thing out in his revived Tuesday Morning Quarterback review after the Jets game:

NFL Games Often Look Bad Because Players Don’t Even Try. Three of the league’s highest paid offensive linemen are Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, and Eric Wood of Buffalo: all possessors of extravagant contracts despite none ever appearing in a playoff game. Thursday at Jersey/B, all three were awful, spending down after down barely brushing their men, then standing doing nothing, just watching as Tyrod Taylor was sacked seven times and LeSean McCoy thrice was TFL (“tackled for a loss”).

All three of these underperforming offensive linemen know that for reasons of salary cap amortization and veteran guarantees, no matter how poorly they perform, they will receive the same pay this season whether they play hard or sit down on the field. So they did nothing as their quarterback was sacked and their tailback got hit in the backfield.

This is disgusting.  

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree.  I'm all for giving people time, but only if they show you they are on the right path.  I'd have given Marrone a 3rd year here if he wanted it and I'd have fired Rex Ryan after 1 season.  It is all on the person and what they show.  

Bring back the prodigal saint! Give him GM authority

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Bring back the prodigal saint! Give him GM authority

Doug Marrone is a good Head Coach.  His teams play hard.  And always seem to have punishing, dominating defenses.  If he and Whaley could have got on with each other the drought would be over by now.  They had the team on the right path.

This was the most likely outcome of the formula that McBeane sold to the Pegulas, and which the Pegulas may or may not have knowingly endorsed.

They brought in a first-time GM and a first-time coach, and proceeded to rid the team of talent.  It is not a huge surprise, then, that at the first sign of trouble, the team loses all confidence in itself and its leaders (the coach and front office) and hides under the blanket.

The formula was flawed from the very beginning and many of us here saw it coming.  If you want to shed the team of talent to rebuild the "culture," you'd better have Superbowl-winning credibility in your coaches and front office to fall back on (i.e., Coughlin in Jax).  Conversely, if you're starting from scratch at HC and GM or lack winning credibility there, your best bet is to stockpile talent and make sure your coaches and their schemes know how to maximize it (i.e., L.A. Rams).

The Pegulas are very nice people.  They're wonderful Buffalo citizens.  They're also the most clueless owners in professional sports.  And as BADOL points out, they're not going to tolerate this regime for too long - I'm willing to bet that McBeane promised them that a competitive team would be fielded this season despite the aggressive personnel moves.  Welp so much for that, so it's Strike One against the McBeane regime.  They'll get a Strike Two.  Strike Three is "You're fired."  

Always Be Closing. 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Tyrod was bad today but let's try to keep in mind he had 3 WR's on the field that he had not played with at all until during the actual season.

Matthews was immediately injured upon arrival and they had very little work together until the season started.

Thompson was a recent get.

Benjamin has been there for one week of practice.

We all know Tyrod is tentative when he doesn't have faith in his targets and this is basically tentative overload for a QB.

I think a prolonged implosion would fuel them to move on from Tyrod..........but in retrospect this will look like an extremely raw deal and I would think he'd pick up a gig with a more functional organization.    

This organization has been utterly chaotic since the day Marrone quit........relentless chaos.

Well that is one way to look at it BUT...

How much time has Peterman had to work with these receivers?

we had an early snow already, and it finally knocked all the leaves off the trees.  it's going to be wet here the next week or two, so i decided to record the bills game and watch it when i was done.  i was bombarded by angry texts, so i looked at the score.  i didn't even bother to watch the game.  

that being said, was it really that bad?  i know the score showed it, but people are pissed.  we all knew that this is a rebuild project, but wow are people pissed.

8 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Both lines need to be rebuilt in the offseason. Can't run the ball and can't stop the run is a recipe for disaster. I would start by signing Deandre Coleman back next week and stick him in there on running downs. Need a bigger body to take up blockers and occupy space. Guys are getting blown off the ball it is ridiculous.

Offense is a much tougher fix, Glenn not being healthy has hurt the continuity on the line. Dawkins couldn't challenge for starting RT as an result. Not a fan of Woods being resigned when Groy played well in his absence and will probably be gone next year. Mills and Ducasse should be gone next year and I hope they take Castillo with them.

Tyrod is most likely out next year as he is a poor fit for this scheme. Bills have a lot of draft picks but a lot of holes as well. I would let the draft fall to me and see if there is QB worth drafting early. 

I am starting to believe that Tyrod does NOT fit Dennison's scheme.

What if Dennison sees that Tyrod is not a good fit?

What if Dennison would rather use Peterman but McCoach demands Tyrod?

Maybe Dennison is making his own case to play Peterman. :devil: 

I don't think the team quit at all.  This is the Bills.  Very little talent on both sides of the ball.  The two reasons the season record is as good as it is are they had the softer part of the schedule in the first half of the season, and the defense was getting crazy amounts of turnovers which was unsustainable.  The result was a 5-2 start.  And hard core Bills fans being so desperate for a team that doesn't suck, fully bought into it instead of believing what their brains should have been telling them, this is year one of a significant rebuild.

But the Dareus trade sure looked like a stupid idea, particularly during the all run 94 yard touchdown drive where they basically just ran up the middle all the way down the field.

And quite frankly, it is beyond stupid to think the Pegulas are considering a coaching change now.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1