Why Tre'Davious White is so critical of himself

JoshBarnett

I believe this topic came up earlier in the season about the postgame comments he made that were really self critical and then again after the Jets game.

With the Bills playing his hometown team and the Saints having Lattimore, who was picked higher than he was, we thought this could be an interesting week to delve further into the topic of why he is so hard on himself and what those around him say about it.

We have made this a free article to give you a sense of the kinds of different things we are doing. 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/08/jerry-sullivan-rookie-white-takes-losing-to-heart/

Thanks for reading, Josh

• Like (+1) 1

Josh - tell old Jerry to fact check.... SIX defensive backs were taken before White.  4 corners (Lattimore, Humphrey, Jackson, Conley) and 2 safeties (Adams and Hooker).  

But otherwise it is a good article and an interesting insight into Tre's character.  

Nice article. Thanks Josh.

Tre White has played extremely well for a rook. Staying humble is in the McDermott DNA. This last line of the article speaks volumes:

"Evidently, you can't win with this kid. It's better than some former Bills, who didn't seem to care one way or another. " 

I’m glad Zo’s perspective was included, and that he’s communicating it regularly to Tre. Being self-critical is good. Striving to be better is good. Letting your sense of imperfection consume you, however, can be bad. 

Good piece. Great guys on this team. 

Just now, transient said:

Is this how we trick unsuspecting people into clicking Sullivan links, now?  Sneaky sneaky. Almost got me.

Well, if you want to hear actual quotes from Tre White and Lorenzo, those are in there. I doubt you'll read those quotes anywhere else. Guess you missed out.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Well, if you want to hear actual quotes from Tre White and Lorenzo, those are in there. I doubt you'll read those quotes anywhere else. Guess you missed out.

Do you really think in this day and age that those quotes will stay hidden away in a free article for more than a second?  They'll probably show up in about 10 other places in the next hour... if I cared to learn how to use twitter I could probably find them now.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sully must be getting different direction from the editing office.  That was barely cynical.

I'm not sticking up for Sully here but will say that most fans relationship with him is like an old married couple that has been sniping at each other for the last forty years. And every conversation becomes an argument that brings in all of those forty years of bittching. Rather than just taking it for what it is now. 

I do understand that all those years of negativity may not deem him worthy of your read. That's fair. But as a single article it's a pretty good read. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, transient said:

Do you really think in this day and age that those quotes will stay hidden away in a free article for more than a second?  They'll probably show up in about 10 other places in the next hour... if I cared to learn how to use twitter I could probably find them now.

Ahhhh, but I already know what they said...and I don't get offended by what a journalist writes from week to week. There is no grand conspiracy to elevate Sullivan's "click count". You can read the article and enjoy it rather than denigrating the offer from the OP.

53 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What's interesting is that supposedly if the Bills had stayed put at #10 they would have taken Lattimore.

So the Bills essentially traded Lattimore for Tre White and the Chiefs' 2018 first-round pick.

This should be fun to watch these two excellent Corners trajectory over the next so many years.
Cool to see such highly talented players having success so early.
 And I do like to find T White and follow after the snap on occasion

4 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

I believe this topic came up earlier in the season about the postgame comments he made that were really self critical and then again after the Jets game.

With the Bills playing his hometown team and the Saints having Lattimore, who was picked higher than he was, we thought this could be an interesting week to delve further into the topic of why he is so hard on himself and what those around him say about it.

We have made this a free article to give you a sense of the kinds of different things we are doing. 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/08/jerry-sullivan-rookie-white-takes-losing-to-heart/

Thanks for reading, Josh

Still cant read it

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ahhhh, but I already know what they said...and I don't get offended by what a journalist writes from week to week. There is no grand conspiracy to elevate Sullivan's "click count". You can read the article and enjoy it rather than denigrating the offer from the OP.

Denigrating? A bit hyperbolic, no? I thought the childlike "sneaky sneaky" would have given away that fact that my response was meant in fun, but I guess next time I'll have to add a few dozen smiley faces. My apologies to the OP if I offended, it wasn't the intent.

To the point you're making above, if I was that concerned about what was said, I'd just read the article.  I was merely commenting on the notion that anything in the media, especially something quoted, will only ever be found in one place.

As to the "just read it, you'll enjoy it" bit, a coworker of mine once brought in anise Christmas cookies, which I politely declined because I don't like the flavor. He was very insistent despite my protestations, so I ate one. Despite telling him ahead of time that I already knew I wouldn't like the cookies, he was still offended when he asked if I liked them and I told him "No."  But you're probably right, regardless of the countless times I've read Sullivan's columns and not liked them in the past, irrespective of content or tone, this time would probably be different...

Edited by transient