Silver Lining - Zay Jones

We all saw him in preseason, he did fine....

After a few games in he had **** for opportunities and some were overly hard on him. Like it was his fault that he didnt catch a screen pass that he need to dive for.

The last couple of games he had some good opportunities and he came through. Im not saying he will be a pro-bowler, but no problem saying he will be solid.

So, Zay is another Rice then?

Man I could choose any post by you in this thread and blast it. But its not worth the time. Worst series of post by anyone I have seen in any thread in a while. Think about that...this is TSW...thats a hard honor to achieve. Congrats, add it to you resume.

The thing is Jones has been good the whole time except for the catching the ball part. He is open a lot. He just needed to get past the hibijibis he was experiencing.

Yeah, he showed some great stuff in preseason, but I dont think he ever really experienced the dropsies before and he didn't respond well when it happened early in the season.

There is a very big thing that the nay sayers are grossly overlooking on Zay's slow start. Sammy Watkins and Jordan Matthews.

When the FO traded Sammy Watkins and brought in Jordan, it immediately put a LOT of pressure on Zay to expedite his ability to immediately be big contributor on offense because the top target was gone and the new top target just got here late and would take time to adjust. Jordan then getting hurt immediately on top of that and missing time further compounded that pressure moving Zay into the #1 target role while also drawing the opponents top defender to start his career. Thats a LOT to ask of any rookie, to anchor a passing attack before ever taking a meaningful NFL snap.

With that pressure he dropped a couple early and then had the game 2 debacle where he cost us the comeback win on the last play when he stumbled on his route getting out of position making a game winging TD catch harder and of course dropped it.

Professional Sports is substantially mental and clearly it got in his head a bit. Hes probably never gone through a period where he struggled catching and just struggled to get past it. But the last 2 weeks he seems to have gotten his confidence back and poised to be a factor moving forward. Having Kelvin and Jordan on the field is really going to open more opportunities for him, easier ones, especially with Clay also coming back. I really think Zay is now headed in the right direction and will be a key component over the rest of this season for the offense, especially as Kelvin gets acquainted with the offense and TT.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Honestly, when I saw Zay go down, I assumed it was the end of his season. I couldn't believe he returned to the game after watching his knee bend backwards! That is some Gumby level sh*t!

I was in the same boat. I’m concerned about him going down again but hopeful the 10 days gets him healthy and he keeps the same mojo!

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Anyone have update on injury? Last I heard he was just walking around the locker room and he had a couple tweets without mentioning it. I imagine they have already done an MRI. 

I haven’t seen anything. He’s supposed to be on Sal C’s tv show Monday night so I guess he’s not having surgery at least?

...don't forget a rook with EIGHT games under his belt that has yet to consistently prove himself is definite CUT material for the MB "One And Done Gang".......hell, Robey was declared a bust for getting torched in a PRE-SEASON GAME.........the Buffalo Red Carpet has pigeon stains.........

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Anyone have update on injury? Last I heard he was just walking around the locker room and he had a couple tweets without mentioning it. I imagine they have already done an MRI. 

Yeah, I’m dying to hear something (good). The fact that he came back out at all amazed me! I thought he was off to IR, because we can’t have nice things and that was ugly. Then when he went down again? Walking around sounds good, but I remember watching Brady walk off with a torn ACL. Hey, NO FLAMING - I’m not saying that’s the case at all, just that knees are tricky.  

On 11/3/2017 at 12:07 AM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Kid showed he is going to be a player. Now just hope he is not hurt too bad.

This is a game they can learn from. Hate to say I saw this coming, but I kind of did. Suggested that in another thread only to be told I have a bad case of BBF syndrome. Of course I do, but road game, division opponent, playing for their season, that we already beat once, Bills are jacked about Benjamin, and everyone pumping our tires all week. Kind of foreseeable. When the team is more mature and more used to success it will stop happening. NOT the same old Bills. Growing pains.

Liked him a lot coming out of ECU but I think they made a potentially critical mistake putting so much on his shoulders.    He wasn't that kind of prospect where you can immediately rely on him as your #1 or #1B like the Bills were trying to do.

Hopefully he will get back to the flypaper hands and huge catch radius because at worst he needs to be a catch-everything kinda' WR.

I pointed to Josh Reed as an example..........he had a bad run of yips in his second season.......then would always seem to be getting out of that rut only to drop key passes intermittently throughout his whole career.   Never lived up to that Belitnikoff reputation and Zay brings the same kind of crazy college production and tape that Reed did.   

Zay looked a lot better, certainly played with more confidence. Hopefully, he isn't hurt long term. I think he will miss a week or two, rumors and unoffical reports say that Jones injury isn't season ending but he might have to miss some time. With Benjamin coming in it makes a short term loss of Jones a bit easier to take. But hopefully they can get Zay out on the field with Matthews and Benjamin as well as Clay. The skill positions could be really good if they are at or close to full health. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Ridiculously early 1/2 season analysis:

- Great move passing on higher rated CBs to trade down for T. White

- Bad move trading up for Zay instead of standing pat (or trading down) for Ju Ju

Hard to say how successful any 2nd round receiver would have been trying to shoulder the load for this passing offense. Zay's case of the yips is bad but I can't say other rookies around that draft slot would have had that much better levels of success in this type of situation.