Why Football is Better

Irv

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, I guess I’m just cranky because I’m up late watching baseball. ;)

It really is annoying why they start the games so late.

I mean I somewhat get it cause they have to cater a little to the west coast a bit, but still sucks

Edited by billsfan11

I mean I somewhat get it cause they have to cater a little to the west coast a bit, but still sucks

I know they've done their research, and they have people much smarter than me making the call, but why is the Super Bowl so late on a SUNDAY night? Why do the do the NCAA hoops Finals when I want it the least? The list goes on.... It’s like they’re TRYING to piss me off!

It always comes down to money.......

I know they've done their research, and they have people much smarter than me making the call, but why is the Super Bowl so late on a SUNDAY night? Why do the do the NCAA hoops Finals when I want it the least? The list goes on.... It’s like they’re TRYING to piss me off!

It always comes down to money.......

Exactly. The problem is they are losing out on the future of the generation (kids) watching the games.

Not many parents are going to let their 5-13 year old kids stay up till 1 AM and watch the full games.

The "strategy" of football doesn't begin to compare to baseball, which is almost entirely a thinking man's game.

I get the argument, but in football there are more variables and more players performing more specialized tasks every single play.

As a person that never played football and played pretty much every other sport growing up. Baseball is my favorite to play but will almost never watch unless it's at the stadium or the playoffs.

Everyone makes fun of football for only being 12-13 minutes of actual play but I honestly wonder how much of a 4 hour game if baseball is considered playing?

It has to be less than 6 minutes.

As it is the games start while some of us are still at work, hard to make them any earlier if you want a west coast audience.

Love Baseball and love Football.

You got to know/understand the game of baseball to really appreciate it in my opinion

This.

I dont agree with OP, but he does have a point - baseball has a problem. A pitch clock would not be a bad idea.

I can see the OP's opinion. But I like both. Football better.

I would favor a rule that once a better steps into the batters box, he can't leave unless he hits the ball or gets hit or walks.

I think football is better because..... I like watching it much more than baseball. That's about it. They both have their fans, and they both have plenty of strategy. The athletic feats and sheer brutality of football make it far more appealing in my opinion. Baseball players make incredible plays within the context of what that game is, but athletically there isn't much comparison. The better athletes are playing football.

I dont agree with OP, but he does have a point - baseball has a problem. A pitch clock would not be a bad idea.

a pitch clock would do the trick IMO, solve innumerable problems and keep the average fan (who doesn't see the thinking side, nor has access to it in game) paying attention. I'm a tennis player and fan, and the 25 second shot clock between points speeded up the game quite a lot... baseball pitching is a lot like tennis serving from a time suck potential perspective

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

My son was really good around 9-10 years old in baseball. He played AAU and they called about playing all stars in the local league. I put the guy on hold, told my son he was offered 2nd base and leadoff hitter. He responded “do I have to? Half the guys are standing around, and the other half are just sitting. If I could just start with all stars it would be OK, but I’m bored!” I was relieved and he went on to more “active” sports.

While I hate baseball, this is just ignorant. Were you kidding?

Yeah I have coached my sons baseball travel teams since he was 8 years old. One of the things I have tried to instill in the kids is that in baseball you should never be standing around. There is always something you could be doing, backing the throw up, taking the cutoff, directing where the cutoff goes. Baseball is certainly not for every kid. My son also plays basketball & football. He loves basketball, like football but his first passion is baseball. He is 14 now & I am dreading the time when his playing days are over. I love watching him play. Nothing more I would rather do.

I tried to watch one inning of the World Series tonight. Twenty or so pitches. Three strikes. Half-an-hour of the batters stepping out of the box to adjust their junk. Another half-an-hour of the pitcher shaking off signs or blabbering on the mound with their mouth covered by their mitt with the catcher. Every player is wearing pajamas and 75% look like overweight Rumplestiltskins. NO THANKS. Lets's go Bills Thursday!

I tried to watch it too. Couldn't make it through the entire first inning of game 7. I would rather watch reruns of old sitcoms than sit through that snore fest. It doesn't even look like they players are into the game or excited about it when they show them in the dugout. Half of them are staring off into space like zombies. If they had cell phones, I am guess half the guys would be texting during the game or playing some other more interesting video game on it. :lol:

I played when I was a kid and it was a ball. You got up and took your hacks. But watch the Little League World Series. The kids are totally over-coached. Kids step out of the box with the bases empty, no outs, and 1-0 count to take a sign. What strategic sign could you possibly give the kid that would help the outcome of the game in that situation? Then they proceed to step out every pitch thereafter to take a sign. It's maddening. The game's a mess starting with little kids and it goes on from there. Boring.

And while I'm on a role, what is the story with all the extra crap the batters wear now? Cheek guard, elbow bad, ankle bad, batting gloves, wrist bands half way up your arm. Everybody has to have a filthy helmet and pants that are three sizes too long. And what's with the dumb rope necklaces or whatever they are. These guys are cartoonish. In a couple of years they'll all be wearing full hockey equipment sans skates. Funny.

Edited by Badthingsman

I played when I was a kid and it was a ball. You got up and took your hacks. But watch the Little League World Series. The kids are totally over-coached. Kids step out of the box with the bases empty, no outs, and 1-0 count to take a sign. What strategic sign could you possibly give the kid that would help the outcome of the game in that situation? Then they proceed to step out every pitch thereafter to take a sign. It's maddening. The game's a mess starting with little kids and it goes on from there. Boring.

the coach does it for the same reason hocculi throws flags. National TV time on my face.

I tried to watch one inning of the World Series tonight. Twenty or so pitches. Three strikes. Half-an-hour of the batters stepping out of the box to adjust their junk. Another half-an-hour of the pitcher shaking off signs or blabbering on the mound with their mouth covered by their mitt with the catcher. Every player is wearing pajamas and 75% look like overweight Rumplestiltskins. NO THANKS. Lets's go Bills Thursday!

Totally agree. I played baseball my whole life and watched it religiously until about 15 or 20 years ago. The McGuire-Sosa hero-worshipping, steroid-fueled homerun race was the last straw for me.

MLB is just not watchable any more and there are so many reasons: the prevalence of PEDs, which have rendered all previous baseball statistics meaningless; the fact that 9 inning games routinely take 3 and a half hours to play; that post-season games take even longer because idiotic managers think they have to change pitchers every time a left-handed batter comes to the plate; time wasted on useless pickoff moves to first; time wasted adjusting batting gloves; the newly prevalent philosophy that batters have to "work the count"; endless conferences on the mound, etc.

I watched a replay recently of one of the 1969 World Series games between the Mets and the Orioles, and it was wonderful. The game took place in the afternoon, under the sun. It went 9 innings and took 2 hours and 20 minutes, start to finish. The Mets won, 4-1, and there was just one pitching change. I did not see a single batter step out of the box to adjust his batting gloves and none of the batters wore body armor. Another thing that was notable is that the players looked like high school kids, instead of like a bunch of juiced-up freaks, and none of them wore ridiculous "playoff beards".

Edited by mannc