A Few Thoughts About the Raiders Game in no particular order

Virgil

I watched this game with little expectations. After beating the Chiefs last week and us letting Jameis throw all over us, it just felt like a typical letdown game. After the first drive, I just decided to sit back and enjoy the game for what it was. With that....What a great, convincing win! I'm not going to waste time looking up stats, trends or anything else, I'm just going to talk about this one like the casual observer who enjoyed watching a fun game.

1 - Tyrod - I start with Tyrod because I took him to task last week. This may have been his best game this season as I really can't point out many mistakes he made. All QB's miss throws, so I'm not going to nitpick. What made the game so impressive was how many times he extended plays by STAYING IN THE POCKET. He didn't rush today at all, made defenders miss him in the backfield, and kept his eyes downfield. The Raiders kept safeties deep most of the game, and took away the deep ball, which he was happy to take the underneath routes. I was shocked to see that he threw for under 200 yards. This was a complete game by TT and I think we can end the discussion about him throwing over the middle of the field. Almost all of his 1st quarter completions came that way. Just a great game this week and showed the difference between efficient with low stats and Carr's high stats and a loss

2 - Mack - I'm absolutely shocked that I never really heard his name. I think there was one holding penalty against him, but that's it. We absolutely shut him down and Mills gets a TON of credit. Mack is a gamechanger and was ineffective all around. Great job by Frazier, MIlls, and the whole line.

3 - Milano - Two weeks in a row the rookie makes a difference. He contributed to 10 points and really blew the game open with his play. I know McDermott said that Humber would be the starter when he gets back, but I don't know anymore. I'm impressed by his instincts, positioning, and the kid is just FAST. Loving this kid more and more this week.

4 - So we found our own direction

Made our way to everyone
And now we look back on every misstep
And wonder how we got it done
I'm bringin it home

5 - Frazier's Bend but Don't Break - Outside of the two touchdown drives, this defense did a fantastic job today. They gave up the yards, but not the points. I am surprised by the end result since we had ABSOLUTELY NO PASS RUSH, but still got it done. To give Carr that much time, for the Raiders to have those weapons, and to only give up 14 points...hats off. I'm still worried about the Brady's who find their way into the endzone, but this defense is finding new ways to win every week.

6 - Linebackers - These guys are getting their own shout out, even after mentioning Milano. These guys are playing so fast, getting their hands on balls, and just always seem to be in the right place. I've taken issue with our soft zone in the middle, but today was different. These guys clogged passing lanes, tipped passes, and just controlled the middle of the field. I'm really impressed with this unit as they are slowly becoming one of the strongest parts of the D.

7 - Refs - I don't even want to give them attention, but what was that? That offensive PI on Matthews was a joke in the first quarter and there were just way too many iffy calls for my liking. With that, I'm giving props to the offense for overcoming a lot of 2nd and 20's and not letting the Ref's beat them. We typically bend in those situations and lose the game, but not this team. Are we starting to Billieve yet?

8 - DB's - How impressive is it that we overall shut down Crabtree and Cooper, especially with Gaines out? They got some catches and big plays, but most of the yardage came from TE's and dump offs. I'm surprised at the amount of man coverage we are playing, but we got it done. And is Hyde not one of the best FA pickups we've had in a while? Another guy who just keeps being in the right place at the right time. Ignore the stats guys, this unit got it done.

9 - McDermott - I was surprised by the decision to go for it on 4th and goal. Maybe it's the BBFS in me, but I want the definite 16 point lead, but I'm happy to be wrong. His one challenge didn't make much sense to me, but other than that, he seemed to push all the right buttons. No one had us at 5-2 and these guys seem bought in. We just traded away our highest paid player, continued the old regime turnover, and these guys keep showing up for him. This would be a lot worse if we were losing. Either way, it's hard to not buy into the process right now. However, at 5-2, we've been here before......

10 - Billiever? - Here we are again, 5-2. I think this is the 4th time in our playoff drought? (I'm not looking it up, remember?) We go into NY on Thursday with a chance to go 6-2 for the first time since 93? Again, probably the BBFS talking, but I'm nervous. I'm so used to getting my hopes up about this team only to get heartbroken. The Jets aren't the pushovers they were in week 1. We have a lot of good things going on right now, but I wonder when the 300+ passing yards per game given up, we stop getting 3+ turnovers, and our resilience against penalties go away. I hate that my brain goes there, but it's what they've done to me. I think 6-2 makes me Billieve; makes me think it's different. I want to love again McDermott, help me.

*Bonus - Tolbert - I give him a lot of crap, but he was utilized perfectly today. He got some crucial 3rd down conversions in a pound the rock fashion. Two weeks in a row this guy has looked good in our offense. Credit where credit is due

Great win guys! I'm loving it so far and look forward to seeing where these wagons go.

Go Bills!

Edited by Virgil

Today is one day not to worry about the pass rush. Ww actually got more than I expected. Only Brady gets the ball out faster than Carr. Hard to get home in 2 seconds.

My big take away..... we won as the live Sky Sports game on a Sunday.... which almost NEVER happens.... maybe this really is the year?

Re #7 on the PI, two points I'd make, if you're going to call that, on the next Raiders drive forget who it was pushed off on the Bills DB and no call. If you want to cal lit tight, call it both ways.

2nd point, never saw a replay showing both Mathews and TT together, but based on where Mathews pushed off and eventually caught the pass, seemed too much time for the ball to have already been in the air when he pushed off. If the pass hadn't yet left TT's hand it can't be PI. That's how it'c called on the defensive side, holding before pass is thrown, PI once ball is in the air.

One other point, was a little surprised with the Bills scored the TD to go to 27. I was wondering if they would have gone for two so they'd be up by 14? I'm not a big fan of "chasing points" and was stil la little bit early to start. The last TD, by then was too late to mater.

1 - Tyrod - I start with Tyrod because I took him to task last week. This may have been his best game this season as I really can't point out many mistakes he made. All QB's miss throws, so I'm not going to nitpick. What made the game so impressive was how many times he extended plays by STAYING IN THE POCKET. He didn't rush today at all, made defenders miss him in the backfield, and kept his eyes downfield. The Raiders kept safeties deep most of the game, and took away the deep ball, which he was happy to take the underneath routes. I was shocked to see that he threw for under 200 yards. This was a complete game by TT and I think we can end the discussion about him throwing over the middle of the field. Almost all of his 1st quarter completions came that way. Just a great game this week and showed the difference between efficient with low stats and Carr's high stats and a loss

2 - Mack - I'm absolutely shocked that I never really heard his name. I think there was one holding penalty against him, but that's it. We absolutely shut him down and Mills gets a TON of credit. Mack is a gamechanger and was ineffective all around. Great job by Frazier, MIlls, and the whole line.

3 - Milano - Two weeks in a row the rookie makes a difference. He contributed to 10 points and really blew the game open with his play. I know McDermott said that Humber would be the starter when he gets back, but I don't know anymore. I'm impressed by his instincts, positioning, and the kid is just FAST. Loving this kid more and more this week.

4 - So we found our own direction

Made our way to everyone

And now we look back on every misstep

And wonder how we got it done

I'm bringin it home

5 - Frazier's Bend but Don't Break - Outside of the two touchdown drives, this defense did a fantastic job today. They gave up the yards, but not the points. I am surprised by the end result since we had ABSOLUTELY NO PASS RUSH, but still got it done. To give Carr that much time, for the Raiders to have those weapons, and to only give up 14 points...hats off. I'm still worried about the Brady's who find their way into the endzone, but this defense is finding new ways to win every week.

6 - Linebackers - These guys are getting their own shout out, even after mentioning Milano. These guys are playing so fast, getting their hands on balls, and just always seem to be in the right place. I've taken issue with our soft zone in the middle, but today was different. These guys clogged passing lanes, tipped passes, and just controlled the middle of the field. I'm really impressed with this unit as they are slowly becoming one of the strongest parts of the D.

7 - Refs - I don't even want to give them attention, but what was that? That offensive PI on Matthews was a joke in the first quarter and there were just way too many iffy calls for my liking. With that, I'm giving props to the offense for overcoming a lot of 2nd and 20's and not letting the Ref's beat them. We typically bend in those situations and lose the game, but not this team. Are we starting to Billieve yet?

8 - DB's - How impressive is it that we overall shut down Crabtree and Cooper, especially with Gaines out? They got some catches and big plays, but most of the yardage came from TE's and dump offs. I'm surprised at the amount of man coverage we are playing, but we got it done. And is Hyde not one of the best FA pickups we've had in a while? Another guy who just keeps being in the right place at the right time. Ignore the stats guys, this unit got it done.

9 - McDermott - I was surprised by the decision to go for it on 4th and goal. Maybe it's the BBFS in me, but I want the definite 16 point lead, but I'm happy to be wrong. His one challenge didn't make much sense to me, but other than that, he seemed to push all the right buttons. No one had us at 5-2 and these guys seem bought in. We just traded away our highest paid player, continued the old regime turnover, and these guys keep showing up for him. This would be a lot worse if we were losing. Either way, it's hard to not buy into the process right now. However, at 5-2, we've been here before......

10 - Billiever? - Here we are again, 5-2. I think this is the 4th time in our playoff drought? (I'm not looking it up, remember?) We go into NY on Thursday with a chance to go 6-2 for the first time since 93? Again, probably the BBFS talking, but I'm nervous. I'm so used to getting my hopes up about this team only to get heartbroken. The Jets aren't the pushovers they were in week 1. We have a lot of good things going on right now, but I wonder when the 300+ passing yards per game given up, we stop getting 3+ turnovers, and our resilience against penalties go away. I hate that my brain goes there, but it's what they've done to me. I think 6-2 makes me Billieve; makes me think it's different. I want to love again McDermott, help me.

*Bonus - Tolbert - I give him a lot of crap, but he was utilized perfectly today. He got some crucial 3rd down conversions in a pound the rock fashion. Two weeks in a row this guy has looked good in our offense. Credit where credit is due

Great win guys! I'm loving it so far and look forward to seeing where these wagons go.

Go Bills!

Tyrod played great for sure. Was really impressed with him staying in the pocket and delivering. Scrambling to buy time to pass, not looking to run hardly at all. He's looking really comfortable back there. Very proud of him.

Genuinely shocked about Mills. Sometimes he plays so bad. Last year he was one of the primary whipping boys. Not even sure how to explain it. Very pleased with Milano as well. Very low expectations for a smallish late-round LB. He's stepping right up.

We didn't have any sacks, but Carr had a lot to do with that. Lowest TTP in the league, I think. DBs held the line for sure. White is still on track for DROY.

I got BBFS bad... I wasn't comfortable till Shady's bug run and score. I can't help it. I've seen this team literally invent ways to lose.

However, this team does feel different. They play hard. They seem well coached. You can feel them believing more and more each week. It's making me want to believe. Everything tells me, we should come crashing back to reality, but man it's fun seeing this team come together. I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride.

One more win now! Let's keep this rolling. Go Bills!!

Carr outplayed Tyrod. He threw for more than 300 yards and Tyrod didnt.

i know this was sarcasm and i'm very grateful for the team win, but damn there are so many yards and plays that tt just does not see for some reason. there were times when he had guys wide open and plenty of time to set, but he put his head down. man, if that somehow changed he could have doubled his passing yards today.

however, i am not going to complain..it was an exciting win that we really needed but if he starts seeing those open guys he's at 300 no problem. i think we get those numbers on thursday. i think the tape from this game is going to make him realize that. man win on thursday and it's on.....

i know this was sarcasm and i'm very grateful for the team win, but damn there are so many yards and plays that tt just does not see for some reason. there were times when he had guys wide open and plenty of time to set, but he put his head down. man, if that somehow changed he could have doubled his passing yards today.

however, i am not going to complain..it was an exciting win that we really needed but if he starts seeing those open guys he's at 300 no problem. i think we get those numbers on thursday. i think the tape from this game is going to make him realize that. man win on thursday and it's on.....

The stats about guys throwing for more than 300/350+ and losing is actually pretty disgusting. I heard the broadcasters say something about Winston last week actually. Not claiming there is any sort of correlation of course, I dont have those numbers to back that up. But there doesnt seem to be much of a correlation the other way either.

Carr outplayed Tyrod. He threw for more than 300 yards and Tyrod didnt.

I hope you are joking. We were protecting a lead most of the game and game him all the short passes up the middle he wanted.

I would like to add kudos for Holmes who stepped up big vs his former team. A couple of crucial catches. ( pun not intended)

I got BBFS bad... I wasn't comfortable till Shady's bug run and score. I can't help it. I've seen this team literally invent ways to lose.

However, this team does feel different. They play hard. They seem well coached. You can feel them believing more and more each week. It's making me want to believe. Everything tells me, we should come crashing back to reality, but man it's fun seeing this team come together. I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride.

Well said. Keep it rolling!

I hope you are joking. We were protecting a lead most of the game and game him all the short passes up the middle he wanted.

I would like to add kudos for Holmes who stepped up big vs his former team. A couple of crucial catches. ( pun not intended)

Yes, kidding

Reminds me of the 1980 team...........😀

I was at the game so I wasnt watching the stats but man Im shocked Carr had over 300 yards. It didnt feel that way at all watching it live.

It came in chunks, but he missed a lot of throws when he needed to make them. Observation, far from a complaint.🍻 Edited by MiltonWaddams